Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any painters out there ?

Yes i think i will end up doing that to an 80 eventually but it's a matching touchup spray i want for ongoing maintenance .

While your on Stu could you get hold of some measurements for landrover side steps for me , just the length i need ?

Sorry mate if you asked yesterday would have been fine but I put it into storage.

Its a little early to say for sure but i think i have found what i need 156086?$pd_main_v2$.jpg

RAL 9005 Jet Black Enamel being the key ingredient .

Last edited:
Enamel black was another fail :icon-cry:
Enamel Black 001.JPG

Close but no cigar .

However there might be light at the end of the tunnel because today i went back to Halfords to ask if they could mix me a 202 code enamel black . No they said and we then repeated the same discussion i have had down there at least 5 times about my colour match woes and spending 20 or 30 quid each visit on test items .

Only this time he says why don't you pop down to Ely (a 5 minute drive) they can match anything you want down there .

I can't even think of an emoticon suitable for how i felt on receiving this news :eusa-dance:-:eh:-:wtf:-:teasing-nutkick:-:romance-kisscheek:

I also think you need to paint a bigger area then feather the paint out to get it to blend in better.

It was an experiment so i didn't take photos but it started out like this

Enamel Black 002.JPG

I rubbed it down a little to remove the loose , then added a high build primer making it about a 4 inch diameter repair . Flatted it all smooth and my last post shows a 10 or 12 inch diameter circle of new black paint .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Visited the pro paint mixer , proper old school a man in a garage with a million tubs of paint and a table in the middle :thumbup:

Says no chance of matching colour because my truck is definitely lacquered so all i can do is match the best i can then use lacquer to trick the eye and sort of gloss over it .

He mixed me the blackest of blacks and marked it 429-977 D.A Black + 7-330 and not having much luck i started to experiment again with my polishing technique and just before the heavens opened i discovered i have been using too harsh an abrasive , the wrong pad and too fast a speed setting .

So i guess i need to give all the other paints a second chance .

Back