Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto transmission oil change. High mileage. Never changed before

Read here AISIN Premium ATF 6, suitable for all Automatic transmissions that take Dextron 11, Dextron 111 and Toyota T-1V (Type 4) grades, basically all except those that take the new WS (World Standard) fluid. so it is not compatible with WS spec.
And a 2003 won't be WS spec as it was not available until after that
this is interesting if you have a bit of time
A very interesting video ,

Yes A343F 4 speed 90 series uses Dexron II or III specifixation ATF.

Last edited:
the 4 speed in the 90 series is not the same as the 4 speed in the 120s in the UK , the UK 120 4 speed takes toyota type T-IV atf .

This is what I found on my transmission dipstick. Good or bad?
Definitely could do with a change. Phoned a garage and they said they do a £65 test and then decide whether it's worth a ATF change.

IMG_20200227_173839.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I found on my transmission dipstick. Good or bad?
Doesn't look too good to me, the browny bits

View attachment 164128
does it smell OK or does it smell burnt , when you say brown bits do you mean the black smudge at the bottom centre of the tissue , and does it have that black smudge on it ever time you stick the dip stick in and wipe it on the tissue or is it collecting on the dip stick coz as you are pulling the dipstick out and its old dirty fluid thats formed because its blackened/dried on the tube the dipstick is scraping off as you pull it out .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
does it smell OK or does it smell burnt , when you say brown bits do you mean the black smudge at the bottom centre of the tissue , and does it have that black smudge on it ever time you stick the dip stick in and wipe it on the tissue or is it collecting on the dip stick coz as you are pulling the dipstick out and its old dirty fluid thats formed because its blackened/dried on the tube the dipstick is scraping off as you pull it out .

Yeah most likely the bits will be when sending the dipstick down and up, as it's a long dipstick.

There's either a sweet smell or burnt. I feel like I get more of burn smell than anything sweet.

Would this be the same advice for a 2005 120 D4d 1KD 4-speed auto engine/transmission? Just bought mine with 155k on the clock and considering doing a couple of drain and fills given the mileage.

Yeah most likely the bits will be when sending the dipstick down and up, as it's a long dipstick.

There's either a sweet smell or burnt. I feel like I get more of burn smell than anything sweet.
the colour on the tissue apart from the black smudge looks good to me , its a very easy job to change the fluid on you truck so I would go ahead and drain it .

the colour on the tissue apart from the black smudge looks good to me , its a very easy job to change the fluid on you truck so I would go ahead and drain it .

I should do it. I am quite handy, maybe laziness or too cold. But it'll save me some money.

Which ATF did you recommend and how many litres do you think I'll find in there

I should do it. I am quite handy, maybe laziness or too cold. But it'll save me some money.

Which ATF did you recommend and how many litres do you think I'll find in there
Sorry I forgot about the English weather its about 22 centigrade here in sunny Cyprus , Aisin premium ATF6 for the type T-IV selling on rough trax site for £35.94 for 5 litres , you will get between 2 to 3 litres out per drain , but the transmission holds around 10 to 12 litres I dont know the exact amount on your truck .

Sorry I forgot about the English weather its about 22 centigrade here in sunny Cyprus , Aisin premium ATF6 for the type T-IV selling on rough trax site for £35.94 for 5 litres , you will get between 2 to 3 litres out per drain , but the transmission holds around 10 to 12 litres I dont know the exact amount on your truck .

Sorry what does that mean. 2-3 litres per drain.

So will 2 of the 5 litre atf6 premium be enough. Or more?

Means that when you undo the drain plug you'll only get 2-3 litres come out. Most of the fluid will be 'trapped' in the transmission internals, torque converter, and radiator.

Usually if you want to do the whole lot you can either:
- drain, re-fill, then run the motor and select all the positions of the shifter, and then repeat the process, usually a few times.
- disconnect one of the ATF lines to the radiator and allow some to pump out, then refill, and repeat a few times to flush through the fluid.

Means that when you undo the drain plug you'll only get 2-3 litres come out. Most of the fluid will be 'trapped' in the transmission internals, torque converter, and radiator.

Usually if you want to do the whole lot you can either:
- drain, re-fill, then run the motor and select all the positions of the shifter, and then repeat the process, usually a few times.
- disconnect one of the ATF lines to the radiator and allow some to pump out, then refill, and repeat a few times to flush through the fluid.
Thats what I did flushed it out through the return pipe after the radiator draining out between 1 and one and half litres into a measuring jug through a clear pipe at a time while my wife was stopping and starting the engine (and she was complaining how long its taking coz on a 5 speed it take longer to get under the transmission and pump back in what you took out ) while I measured what was coming out and putting the same back the same amount ,I did this while the fluid was cold (Cyprus temp cold not zero temp cold ) so the new added fluid was at the same amount level in weight so as not to overfill . but I wont be doing that again I will just drain it once a week from the sump and refill 4 times as its much easier .

Last edited by a moderator:

So will 2 of the 5 litre atf6 premium be enough. Or more?
About 2 litres will come out on level ground , if you jack it up at the front while its draining you can get about three litres out coz the sump will be tilted towards the drain plug to allow more fluid to drain out , so 2 x 5 litres of atf6 premium will do fine , if I were you I would drain and refill once a week until you run out of new fluid .

About 2 litres will come out on level ground , if you jack it up at the front while its draining you can get about three litres out coz the sump will be tilted towards the drain plug to allow more fluid to drain out , so 2 x 5 litres of atf6 premium will do fine , if I were you I would drain and refill once a week until you run out of new fluid .

This. :thumbup:

yes its the same auto box as Omars

Like I mentioned on the other post. I got the oil changed at Toyota. Apparently when it came to paying £120. I was told it should have been a lot more. As it's alot more work involved and they have to go for a 5 mile drive and then check oil again.
I asked for a sample of my previous oil. Was dark browny red. So did need a change definitely.
I've noticed difference in the drive. I was getting judders in the gear changes. But that's gone and it's alot more smoother now.

Like I mentioned on the other post. I got the oil changed at Toyota. Apparently when it came to paying £120. I was told it should have been a lot more. As it's alot more work involved and they have to go for a 5 mile drive and then check oil again.
I asked for a sample of my previous oil. Was dark browny red. So did need a change definitely.
I've noticed difference in the drive. I was getting judders in the gear changes. But that's gone and it's alot more smoother now.
That's good news mate, I have a colleague who's just bought a 2005 Prado 120 in the same situation, about 180kkm and unknown ATF provenance.

You should of asked them how much fluid they changed for the £120 price , did they just drain it from the sump once say 2 litres from the 12 litres that it holds or do muti drains to get at least two thirds changed ,

Back