Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto Windscreens. Grrrrr.

Now look here young man, you may have been on a training course but let me tell you .....

Should that be my opening statement?

Don't understand these top of the range modern vehicles having screen leaks. Pathetic. In 60's the rubbers were very soft and you put filler strip of plastic in which swelled the rubber and gripped the glass and body. I used to do all my own screens and never had a leak. There was no such thing as screen sealer.

I suspect the replacement glass is thinner than the original. Well they would'nt miss that trick would they ?

Good luck Chris. Don't forget the video. Really looking forward to seeing that.

Now look here young man, you may have been on a training course but let me tell you .....

Should that be my opening statement?
Though personally I do favour the friendly subtle approach it might make for an interesting if not entirely predictable outcome Chris…:lol:

Good luck Chris. Don't forget the video. Really looking forward to seeing that.
Would that be the video of the fitter chasing Chris brandishing his sealant gun or the resultant 3hr operation in theatre having it surgically removed…:lol:

yeah, used Arbomast all around the seal, both on the glass side and the frame, and shot a bit extra in the corners for safe measure... we cleaned the window frame and helped me dab some Kurust on a couple of minor spots.. hopefully won't have to call them again for a while.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll put the calipers on the new screen when he arrives. If it is thinner then we might have to go to plan B.

Video awaited with bated breath...

I hope Chris doesn't receive a thread full of "I told you so's" but whatever the outcome, there'll be some lessons learned from this escapade.

Sincerely Chris, good luck mate!

New rubber and sealant as per fsm.

Trust me I know.. all 3 of my 80s have had the windscreens replaced....

Well that got off to a cracking start. Literally. Lad arrived at 08.30. Had a good chat about leaks. He certainly did seem very knowledgeable. In his view, the biggest mistake that leads to leaks is fitting a new seal. Contrary to popular thinking, the old seal is a better fit.

However we never got that far. The screen had a ship in the edge and two deep scratches on the driver's side. He's gone to Rotherham to get another.

Well that got off to a cracking start. Literally. Lad arrived at 08.30. Had a good chat about leaks. He certainly did seem very knowledgeable. In his view, the biggest mistake that leads to leaks is fitting a new seal. Contrary to popular thinking, the old seal is a better fit.

However we never got that far. The screen had a ship in the edge and two deep scratches on the driver's side. He's gone to Rotherham to get another.

:doh:

Well it seems that all of the debate over Arbomast, Butyl and Voodoo Magic was all rather academic as they've failed to produce a new screen. Just had a call, they have found scratches on all the stock they've got. They're going to try somewhere else. I started to get a bit cross about this and said it was a pretty poor service. The attitude wasn't one of contrition really. They'd see if they could get one in time but if they couldn't well that was all they could do.

Which I'm sure you'd agree was pretty fair and the sort of customer pleasing response you'd expect. Times like this I wish I did Twitter stuff. We'd see what sort of response we'd get then. I can't see this happening. Looks like the Baltic with a cracked screen to me.

Piss poor.

What the feck are they doing scratching their own stock? Not knowing how many they have that are scratched, but if I were their boss, one scratched screen in stock would be one too many, especially if they're still showing on a good or available stock listing.

Piss poor, as you said Chris.

Oh all sorts of stories about them being so old they were last signed out by Noah before the flood yadda yadda. They blamed everyone and his dog. Doesn't help me though does it.

That's a piss take. If packaged and stored correctly there's no reason to damage a screen. The odd one fair enough accidents happen but the rest of the stock

Didn't want to admit they have no stock i bet .

Could you get them to use the screen from your green truck so your good for the trip and they can replace that one as and when they get more stock .

Time to source your own screen Chris. For sanity's sake. Complain to insurers, etc. I think Shayne is spot on. Either that or they are just plain incompetent, which rather begs the question…do you really want them to be working on your truck?

Devils advocate here…

Screen in the green one isn't good. Got a bullet hole in it. I can go with the screen I have its not like it's going to stop the trip, but when you have screen cover and a big name like AW you'd think it would be a simple phone call and a fix. The insurer owns AW. I can't have anyone else do the screen as it's bound in the insurance so what choice do I have. OK I might get a screen from a breaker but how good is that likely to be? Probably better to have a new screen with a scratch in it. At least it's a new screen for the other 99.9999%

See what they say tomorrow. After that they can go **** themselves. I won't be here and they can refund my money.

It's irrelevant that they own the screen company Chris. They are in breach of contract which means you are entitled to help yourself out. Getting them to pay is another matter.

Sorry Frank, I am not defending them but how are they in breach of contract? There is no SLA that says they'll have a good screen to me within 3 days or anything. They are still trying to get me a screen. No matter how pathetic this may be, I think you'd struggle to prove B.O.C The terms and conditions of my insurance say that I must use AW. There's nothing in there about their inability to get the job done. Any other company I use, I would have to pay the full cost of the screen as I wouldn't be covered by my glass insurance.

Back