Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ74 - Convert to soft top

C W E Martin

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi, im looking to removing the FRP lid on my BJ74 and replacing with a soft top - has anyone done this before? Any tips / pics would be appreciated. Cheers Chris

My mate in Columbia has done it to his project 74. Have you got the removable door tops?
IMG-20151226-WA0000.jpg
Hes done a bloody fine job of it!
IMG-20151226-WA0003.jpg
Not sure where he got the soft top kit from but can ask him for you...:thumbup:

Looks great, has the FRP section been retained over the front seat area?
I've not got half doors, was looking at modify the existing by cutting the window sections away and bring the soft top down at the back.

Chris, Here is a pic of mine. It was converted by previous owner. had roof cut behind front seats and rear doors cut down the rest was done by an auto trimmer.Vehicle_1184_1.JPG

I'm also looking to retain the front section of the FRP, what's the detail like where the soft top meets the FRP / Roll bar? Much water ingress or is it pretty tight

There is an aluminium channel that is attached to the FRP top which a rope guide sewn into the canvas slides into. its reasonably water tight only time I have had water getting inside was when I pressure wash the car.
When I get a chance I will post some photos showing it in detail.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We recently built two tops for a BJ73 and BJ74! If anyone needs one, can share photos here!

Back