Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bonnet bug deflectors.. yes or no

Have one on mine certainly help with bugs for years. Certainly would recommend a good quality one and fitting is important. Not sure if the one on eBay or if anyone here has bought a review it before.

Il see once i get mine from ebay if it will need a little prefab lol.

The 105 has a genuine Toyota one that was fitted when I bought it. It's transparent with Land Cruiser lettering on it. Fitment is very good, it doesn't move about and hasn't marked the paint. Age and some mistreatment are starting to get to it, but it looks good and I plan to keep it fitted.

Bug catcher? Maybe, or does it protect the bonnet and windscreen from bugs and debris by deflecting the air flow? All I can say is the 105 has seen a lot of dirt roads when it was in Oz, and both the bonnet and windscreen are in great condition.

I haven't got any close up pics of it as it's partly obscured by the roo bar, but I have zoomed in on a couple of pictures I have on file and taken a screenshot.

IMG_1522.PNG
IMG_1523.PNG

IMG_1524.jpg

This looks like the exact one on the bay in Oz: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/271270265001

Thats it on. Think it might need a little something to lift it.
20171020_190542.jpg
20171020_190605.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If the goal is to protect the leading edge of the bonnet, wouldn't some thick black tape e.g. Marine non-Slip tape, be simpler and tidier. Also wouldn't be knocked off when driving through vegetation etc

Guy's mine been on the car or 6 yers with me and longer unknowingly. Had the land cruiser writing on the front after years of wearing off faded so I helped it along it marry way for a cleaner look. Not sure what its light without TBH but dam those fly's at the beginning of spring in one trip to the city the whole car front including windscreen looks a mess. So IDK really :think:

IMG_5442.jpg

Made a few adjustment to mines there tonight and more than happy.
If vegetation do it harm your in bigger bother imo, very sturdy and solid far more than i expected.

If the goal is to protect the leading edge of the bonnet, wouldn't some thick black tape e.g. Marine non-Slip tape, be simpler and tidier. Also wouldn't be knocked off when driving through vegetation etc
Is the goal just to protect the bonnet or does it also deflect the airflow to blow insects over the windscreen?

I dont give two hoots what its goal is, looks well and i like it.
I would prefer it to have some function rather than just looks though.

Thats like saying " i wont put those tasty looking rims on coz they gain me no practical function"

Thats like saying " i wont put those tasty looking rims on coz they gain me no practical function"
Maybe, but I don't put things on just because they look good, I'm not into bling. I did swap my rims because I found some original 80 allys at a good price.

Edited.

I hope it does help to deflect the bugs because I've just bought one.

Last edited:
Cant say we have a problem with bugs in this part of the world. My bonnet is 25yo original and shows very little despite coming from Scotland- which is the centre of the midge universe. however if you like your bling I suppose you could always fit a sun roof deflector to protect the roof while you are at it at it

Maybe, but I don't put things on just because they look good, I'm not into bling. I did swap my rims because I found some original 80 allys at a good price.

Edited.

I hope it does help to deflect the bugs because I've just bought one.

You know you love it

Cant say we have a problem with bugs in this part of the world. My bonnet is 25yo original and shows very little despite coming from Scotland- which is the centre of the midge universe. however if you like your bling I suppose you could always fit a sun roof deflector to protect the roof while you are at it at it

Thought about a sunroof defector but dont think il have the room up there

Back