Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boost setting?

Yea I did but then removed that too as I then fitted boost controller.... So it is standard...? Is the boost gauge in the right place?

Gauge T should be fine where it is . Do you have an adjustable turbo actuator , the arm will have a threaded part so you can extend or shorten it ?

That's another thing I can't do wheats the 2.4 turbo I put in did have but this one has not so I'm pretty stuck now then....?

The vacuum pipe actually on your turbo from housing to actuator is blocked or creased somehow , it has to be there's no way you should be boosting at 12 unless the wastegate is not opening until you reach 12 psi .

I've been racking my brains all night about this now and just had a thought what about pump timing?? Half a tooth? A tooth out?? Could that be a possibility?

No if the pump was out it would be misfiring .

Your fuel air mix might be perfect but when the turbo spools up more air is rammed into the mix and so your pump is set to automatically increase the volume of fuel to keep the balance . Mine does this via sensors which tell the ecu what pressure i am boosting at and then the ecu tells the pump to add more fuel , when the boost drops the fuel is reduced by the ecu thus maintaining a consistent fuel air mix on boost or off boost throughout the range at any speed .

Yours is a mechanical pump so the same process is done by pressure , MUST repeat here i do not know your pump nor exactly how it works so what follows is conjecture .

I imagine when your turbo spools up it sends pressure to the pump shifting the pump diaphragm which allows more fuel to be thrown into the mix automatically keeping the balance by mechanical means . Turning up the fuel means slightly more fuel goes in at all times but if your pump isn't automatically increasing fuel of its own accord when your boosting the mix will never be right .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From the little knowledge I know about the mechanical pumps, I believe they have a boost compensator (something like that), which works with the boost pressure to send in more fuel. I think you should adjust these when upping boost so fuel/air mixture can remain good.

Interesting video here for the 1HDT. The 1KZT mechanical pump should be pretty similar... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlbQh3s5jU

Right believe it or not people and shayne!!! Lol
do you want to know what it is/was?? After all you kept saying about the boost pressure got me wondering?? So I changed every vacuum hose I could see to new ones and the last I done was the one!! Lol
It was the turbo wastegate actuator pipe!!
Mo tested every hose with 50 psi on the works compessor gun and the only one that leaked was that one!
And behold she flies again!! Lol I'll post a pic of the culprit.

If it was leaking i would guess your boosting more than 12 now ?

image.jpg

Believe it or not the boost pressure hasn't altered ? Is that normal lol

Forget i asked if your happy with it that's all that matters :thumbup:

Thanks to Beau for posting that vid , looks like the mechanical pump works on boost pretty much as i imagined .

Just removed boost gauge from inlet side which was reading 11psi and now t'd into turbo actuator pipe and reads 10psi I have heard though that it can vary slightly from inlet to turbo....
if I turn fuel up I take it that will create most boost pressure??

Two different things Craig you can have max fuel and no boost or max boost and minimum fuel , it will run either which or any way in between . The optimum fuel screw setting while boosting at 10 will be wrong if your boosting at 11 or 9 or 14 whatever .

Turbo actuator pipe is where you want your boost controller , just to make explanation simple because there are infinite variations to achieve the same - set your boost controller at 14 psi and turn your fuel screw until you get just a little black smoke on cold engine tickover and you are 88% on the mark .

The last 12% is a bugger and a lot depends on how well your fuel pump compensates when extra fuel is needed on boost .

I think your boost gauge is faulty by the way .

Last edited:
Haha like that last comment shayne blunt along with a hint of brutal haha
ok well I'm busy with work at the mo but once I get a min I'll be back on with it lol I will get it sorted

Cruel to be kind mate people wouldn't go to efforts to up the boost to say 10psi if like yours it was boosting at that anyway for no reason ?

The inlet side of your of your intake should if anything show a lower pressure (due to leaks) than it does at the turbo ?

Touch wood it seems to me your gauge is showing a higher reading than it should so there is no danger , you just aren't getting as much power as you could . But if it was reading lower you could be boosting beyond what is safe .

wow what a topic
got a few probs with mine throwing black smoke out when turning boost box down it clears
so ordered a new turbo and a adjustable waste actuator and will see what happens will be using the 18psi spring but turning the adjustment up so it wnt be quite as much
running a 3.0 colorado with intercooler, exhaust and tuneit box

2016-04-07 10.41.58.jpg

Nice setup. Could You post some more pics of your intercooler setup, more so how you made the connection on the original intake manifold piece, it seems very neat.

Also how are you able of running such high boost on the standard pump, unless you have a mechanical one? (Cable says otherwise).

Back