Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

British Transport Films… a window on a bygone age

Some of the shovels look a bit like BR issue firing shovels, a bit longer and narrower to fit the firebox opening. I suppose long handled ones could be a bit awkward. A bit regional too, when we moved to Wales, I bought my T handle shovel with me and it was called a shovel with a seat, everyone round here used long handled ones.

i try as well just to see what might be there "old british films" and there is a lot of them

This was quite an operation. How they refurbished the London Busses. Enjoy. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No gloves either Rich, even those using creosote and the pressure chamber!

Liked to see the boy apprentice in the casting shop, helping with preparing the sand moulds.
They bred 'em tough in those days, those that survived anyway.

No gloves either Rich, even those using creosote and the pressure chamber!

Liked to see the boy apprentice in the casting shop, helping with preparing the sand moulds.
He did look pretty young didn’t he. He was pulling his weight though. Would probably have earned a clip round the ear if he didn’t.

Not quite a BTF but the same sort of subject- with a rather familiar narrator.

Is that who it was Clive? I had John Peel in my head.

Every day’s a school day Clive. Bit of local knowledge there?

Every day’s a school day Clive. Bit of local knowledge there?

I don’t really know how I knew that, I think he was on Parky moons ago, a very interesting guy. I loved his shows on radio and his voice is very distinctive. He was from Cheshire originally (like me dad was) so maybe as a Lancashire lad he struck a chord with me.

I don’t know about his Brummie connections, but anyone moving anywhere near to Birmingham ends up with the accent sooner or later...

I don’t really know how I knew that, I think he was on Parky moons ago, a very interesting guy. I loved his shows on radio and his voice is very distinctive. He was from Cheshire originally (like me dad was) so maybe as a Lancashire lad he struck a chord with me.

I don’t know about his Brummie connections, but anyone moving anywhere near to Birmingham ends up with the accent sooner or later...

I’ve just googled him and there’s no mention of Brum. Born in Cheshire, lived in Suffolk (amongst other places) ... there you go....

It was on the pirate station Radio London that he used the name Peel, and I think that’s when I would have first heard him on my headphones and an old big-valve radio set, ‘cos my dad wouldn’t allow “pop music” to be played in the house.

This would have been the mid-late 60’s.

I remember him on Radio London too before it got closed down, his son Tom has a show on BBC 6 music these days

More on the Scammell explorer. Military training not BTF but along similar lines.

They seem to run one into the other with a series of films. Listen out for the squaddie humour. :)

Last edited:
Back