Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brolly dollies

Has there been much media pressure? I don't follow F1 but I watch a lot of cycling where a kiss from a pretty lady is still part of the winner's package. There's a bit of tutting about it, and it's a sport with a growing profile for women's racing too which I think makes it look more of an archaic practice. I don't see much of an outcry about it, more a resignation that it looks a bit old-fashioned.

The interesting one is this year on the Tour Down Under they did away with the traditional models, and instead had young up and coming riders.

"A year ago, the TDU stopped using models during podium presentations and gave the roles to junior cycling champions, including Plouffe."
Which to me is a much better idea - gives the young riders a chance to get up to meet their idols. Now cue the outrage at using junior riders... FFS...

The interesting one is this year on the Tour Down Under they did away with the traditional models, and instead had young up and coming riders.

"A year ago, the TDU stopped using models during podium presentations and gave the roles to junior cycling champions, including Plouffe."
Which to me is a much better idea - gives the young riders a chance to get up to meet their idols. Now cue the outrage at using junior riders... FFS...

I think this is a great idea. It's what football and rugby have done for years when presenting teams. Maybe in the future we'll think thats odd, but I think that's just how society works. Norms evolve.

I think the "they want to do it" argument is poor. No one is suggesting individuals are forced into the job. Just that unfortunately their job isn't needed anymore. If the company you work for decides your role is no longer needed the "no one made me do it" argument doesn't help you.

Both my sisters done a bit of trolley dolly work years ago , the attitude they had was like yeah its like someone paying you to go to a festival when you would pay yourself to go there . My older sister and my mother where offered work as topless models (decades apart of course) both considered it easy money and perfectly safe but declined because they felt it might effect their future kids .

If you wash dishes for a living you are prostituting yourself , we all sell ourselves its called work , and if nature blessed us with a gift to make it easier or more profitable why not use it , clever hands or a nice ass its just means to an end .

I thought we were all about equal opportunities? To everyone. Motor racing is almost exclusively male in the driving seat but there are many women behind the scenes. Williams team is run by Claire Williams, what's the problem with having more women in the sport to even up the balance? There is clearly a role. They are not tartilly dressed but the emphasis is on looking classy. To me this smacks of cowardice on the F1 management to get rid of them before somebody sets off another trial by media frenzy.

So, are we going to see women dropped from all promotional roles? Will cheerleaders be next?

This whole thing is the stuff of nonsense. Political correctness gone mad. In this country we seem to take an idea and take it to the Nth degree, like Health and Safety, often taken too far.

To quote Chris, we've (the UK based F1 management, correct me if I'm wrong here) clearly been overthinking this one.

The Presidents Club link was for Moggy who was asking what that was about.

Having done a bit of Googling, which was more successful after discovering grid girls is a more usual title I found :

“Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport," said Sean Bratches, Managing Director, Commercial Operations at Formula 1.

"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms. We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/1/formula-1-to-stop-using-grid-girls-.html
So as expected, a group of men telling women what work they can do , what they can wear and denying them the opportunity for well paid work. Yep, thats a real step forward

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

and it means they don't have to pay them!

[QUOTE="

To quote Chris, we've (the UK based F1 management, correct me if I'm wrong here) clearly been overthinking this one.[/QUOTE]
It's an American company that runs F1 now, and I see this a very much an American idea, from the land of the free!!

[QUOTE="

To quote Chris, we've (the UK based F1 management, correct me if I'm wrong here) clearly been overthinking this one.
It's an American company that runs F1 now, and I see this a very much an American idea, from the land of the free!![/QUOTE]
Ok, thanks for the update Andy. So it's cheerleaders next then? No?

It's an American company that runs F1 now, and I see this a very much an American idea, from the land of the free!!
Ok, thanks for the update Andy. So it's cheerleaders next then? No?[/QUOTE]
well, thats just one of the many contradictions in this story, along with child beauty pageants, prom queens, and numerous other aspects of the good ole American Dream

Thanks Chas, I was just about to post that

:text-worthless:

Chas has saved the Day.... :clap::dance::clap:

Les.jpg

Back