Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bust rear stabilizer bar

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I was out today with the Lothian 4x4 Response team on a training day on a farm near Bathgate that's got some fairly extreme bits on it...

After trashing my rear left quarter ven window on a tree at the bottom of a very muddy, slippy bank that I slipped down (aaarrrrgghh!!) :doh: :icon-cry:

null-3.jpg

I noticed that the rear stabilizer bar had snapped :shock: It's the curvy one in bottom left of attached diagram ...

How the heck does that happen then???? It's meant to be solid bar isn't it? I haven't got under there as yet to investigate and take pics, but am a bit concerned....

Maybe its a blessing in disguise, as the one that goes over the diff for the e-locking diff (forthcoming attraction) is different to the one I have currently...

Any ideas on why this would happen? I'll post up some pics tomorrow ... when it's light enough to see :icon-smile:

Attachments

• gs1.jpg
    gs1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
wow - never seen them snap...
i have sheared off the stirrup mounts where it mounts to axle and also damaged the link arm bushes that link it to chassis, but not the actual antiroll bar itself

bad luck Gary and hassle to smash the window too...

i am sure you can get a part easily

will be interested to see where it broke and what the break looks like. i am pretty sure they are solid bar not hollow

Sorry to hear Gary. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Like Andy said, plenty of instances of busted mounts but not normally the bar itself :wtf: If it's just a mount I'm sure I can get you one for sensible money but I don't think I can help with the window! Hopefully insurance will cover that?

Can't see insurance stepping up. And probably will get a good deal at the panel shop (I know the owner ;-) )

Let you know about the bar tomorrow

Not sure if it is worth it by with the herts guys, anything "official" is covered by their insurance. Was this an official training event? The long term effect of claiming for something so small might hurt a non-profit club though.

Bummer about the arb. Glue yours together and we swap. :D

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I noticed that the rear stabilizer bar had snapped - How the heck does that happen then???? It's meant to be solid bar isn't it? I haven't got under there as yet to investigate and take pics, but am a bit concerned....

That's bad luck Gary.

The torsion bar gets twisted a lot in use (more so in your case :lol: ) so I guess metal fatigue got the better of it eventually.

As a matter of interest - have you had any dealings with this crowd ??? http://www.scotiawinchcc.org.uk/

I just rebuilt the Transfer Box for one of the organiser's 2002 SWB '90' (Colin, mentioned in the link).

Sounds just up your street :thumbup:

Bob.

I have had to smash 2 windows one in my Ranger and one in (what was then) brand new van. One of our 3 labs has a thing about bouncing all over until she bashes the central locking button and locks them all in, along with keys. The first time was on top of a mountain in Spain.....miles from anywhere.........
They all live behind a dog guard now!

Insurance paid up no problem.

Steve

Hi Bob

Wasn't that extreme! I suspect the window is because I took a poor line and the mud was really greasy. The bar - well, who can say, really. Could have been a weak spot or corrosion or use or a combination. I don't usually do extreme stuff - there's bits of lincomb I just won't go, for example. I'll have a good look later today though :lol:

One of the guys out yesterday does do winch challenges though, and he was talking about a vehicles with 5 winches - front, back, sides and roof !!!

Now that's extreme!!!

Hi Gary,

Unlucky about the window.
I clumsily broke my rear/rear drivers side, opposite one to yours.
I just had too much in the rear, and it shifted.

The insurance paid up, no problem, cost me the glass excess.
But there were non in UK, and I needed to wait about 2-3 weeks for Toyota to get one.
All the glass company's don't seem to keep this glass in sock, as it never get broken.
I just have to get the tint put on this new window, but that can wait a while.

Gra.

Regarding the bar, might it fall under your extended warranty?

12 days ago - id give it a try in any case under customer good will, and a good word for toyota on a very busy and popular toyota forum....

So it's not a solid bar after all!! It's sheared off right at the outboard edge of the bush, so I'd guess corrosion as the culprit.

Here's some lousy pics - sooty, it's raining again (quelle surprise!) and I've been cleaning out the mud too - yuck :lol:

Muddy bush end
null-13.jpg

null-12.jpg

Muddy bust bit

null-10.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-6.jpg

null-4.jpg

Tube :wtf: did your lift come with drop links for the ARB? If not that's probably the cause, with a little help from mr salt.

Hollow????? Now that is a cheapening off. Hollow torsion bar - naughty naughty Mr T.

Chris

Well I've managed to break the mounting off the axle before... but I've never seen a tubular anti-roll bar :think:

Mmm - don't think my engineering skills are quite in the Wildsmith league :lol: so will consider the Aussie bits.

Back