Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can new toys legally be listed as grounds for divorce ?

There's no sensible reason for buying a Hummer its like buying a 1969 Camaro - senseless but i would love one . The opportunity to own a dream quite literally fell into my lap along with a very realistic possibility that it won't cost me anything in the long term . Comparing this to a Landrover is insane - for practical purposes it may be a worthy comparison but by the same rule a Nissan Micra is a far better car than any Ferrari :lol:

they were shit off road, unreliable, and fell to bits. They are way too cumbersome, lacked any interior space, which is ridiculous given their size and troops I spoke to hated them, much prefered the landy. IF you want a vehicle to do a job, buy something else, if you want to pose, buy something else! It's not an image I would want!!

It's a typically overated, overlarge piece of Americana, and it's over here!!

Sorry, just MHO, and can't fault the financial logic, worth a play for a while I guess.

I'm sensing your not a fan then Moggy :lol:

Mr T builds far better trucks of that there's no question , i do have to question the "cumbersome" though . When i first set eyes on it i thought its MASSIVE ! , when i got in it i thought no its bigger than that :shock: . But after a couple of weeks driving it you get your spacial awareness and then you realize its no bigger than an 80 LC and probably has a smaller turning circle . I can do a 3-point turn at the end of our street in it and i don't always manage that first time in my swb 90 .

Nevertheless it's a celebrity on our Brit streets half the time i feel like i'm just a bloody chauffeur for the truck :lol:

Faults are common but almost all are a direct result of GM using inadequate parts and my research so far suggest nothing mechanical is set to fail its just stupid things like the petrol filler cap often needs replaced and the engine warning light staying on is the symptom that demands this fix :wtf:

I'm inclined to think it's an executive vehicle for the guy that owns the Bunny Ranch but it would be interesting to see how it performs off road .

Regardless its a fun truck to own .

I'm sensing your not a fan then Moggy :lol:

Always one to sit on the fence me!

There was a bright yellow one near where I used to live with loads of chrome. It was a head turner alright, for all the wrong reasons!

Oh dear Helen has been my passenger all day and all of a sudden "That THING - THAT PIG UGLY STUPID MONSTROSITY" has become ...... "nice" . She wants me to keep it but she loves my collie , says we don't have room for both .

Holy smoke she wants to sell her car so we can keep both the Hummer and the Yota !

I love it,not the hummer but the real life drama in your home.Go for it .Good luck.Pat

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Helen would never drive the Hummer she only passed her driving test 30 years ago she would be terrified , i only passed my test 2 and a half years ago and can't drive anyway so its no trouble for me :lol:
Personally i think its a plot to get her hands on my 90 , i will get fed up of the Hummer and want my collie back and she will be saying no its mine now :|

Guys i could use some help with this dilemma . I'm usually pretty decisive when it comes to what i want and what i don't but the Hummer has me going around in circles .

To be blunt i can't imagine ever again owning such an astonishing vehicle and Helen says i can keep it . It wasn't bought as a keeper but as a sound investment with a bit of fun thrown in . Reading up on it i think i can prob push mpg up to average 15mpg with an ECU remap . UK fuel has a higher octane rating than the USA and the Hummer could lose 100hp without even noticing i reckon . Seriously i floored it at the lights yesterday and Helen's face went white , all 4 wheels were fighting for grip and i don't mind admitting it took a lot of holding on to .

My Collie is just as much fun to drive but in a different kind of way it's small and nippy and can be thrown around like a toy , i worked out recently she averages 20mpg town/motorway . But Helen says it's time the car she's owned from new was sold and with nothing that interests her on the market she would be happy to use the collie as a daily driver so i get to keep both .

I just can't make up my mind - the Hummers too posh for me - i can't personalize it much given the character its already got - i can't help thinking it will never really feel like its mine . The Collie is mine unto death , its all the car i need , its work in progress and always will be .

I would appreciate some sincere thoughts on the matter .

I think you've answered your own question there Shayne, it's the Collie for life! :icon-cool:

Last edited:
It is very much a case of what suits you best. I know this will not go down well here but I think, for what I want, my two Mercs offer me the best of both worlds. The ML is better on road than any Cruiser I have driven and the Mog is better off road than any Cruiser I have driven. Combined price is less than a good 80.

Those who know me will know that I prefer the more extreme off roading to the scenic green lane type. If I was about to head off on an overland journey then a Cruiser would be the obvious choice but I'm not.

My advice would be look at what you want out of the vehicle and go from there.

Last edited:
Have some fun in it Shayne, then get rid. If it's hard to part with it then, maybe it's a keeper. Sincerely, I think it's too soon to make the decision.

it will be a b'tard to park anywhere, the Cardiff boys will run a key down the side of it, and then it'll go bang somewhere expensive. That's my little penny-worth, if you want a dragster off the lights, then get a classic MR 2 or something with class!

PS, could live to regret the last line methinks... :think: :whistle:

Chas the Collie is going nowhere regardless of what i do :icon-wink:

Ian your approach makes perfect sense to me though i don't like cars as general rule but a tough off-roader is never gonna make a great daily driver :thumbup:

Clive "an MR2" :shock: I never had you down for a hairdresser in denial :laughing-rolling: .

No seriously though i appreciate all the comments coz i really am torn it's impossible to explain but this truck is everything my 90 is but more , i love the sound of my 90's roar but this thing makes it sound feeble , the power of my 90 surprises everyone who get's in it but the Hummer trounces it . As for parking , weaving through traffic jams , turning in tight spots and the like i will take the Hummer anywhere i will take my 90 which surprises even me . I love the way it looks it's a proper boys toy but i hate the fact i can take no credit for that coz it came that way from the shop . If it did 20mpg and had a manual gearbox i would have no doubts whatsoever about keeping it but it really is that good these faults seem minor .

I just don't know :confusion-shrug:

I did suggest I'd regret saying that, didn't I :laughing-rolling:

Can't help you any more though Shayne. I'd still recommend driving it for a couple of months, then decide. The novelty might have worn off by then :think:

I lust after one of these, cool or what! But....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 122
If you like that Clive then my advice is DON'T ever test drive a Hummer :lol:

Just had a phone call from a mate of 30+ years from the Rock wanting to know if i'd decided to keep the Hummer yet :icon-rolleyes: told him my dilemma and his answer was "just take it off-road and smash it to bits - you will like it then and problems solved" . Bloody annoying when people know you too well :lol: .

I guess i will see what the remap bloke can do about mpg , if anything ? the deal i cut with insurance was 3 months cover for a one off payment but go beyond that and i'm committed for a year . I must be 5 weeks into that so no immediate pressure :confusion-waiting:

Keep it.

How about an lpg conversion?

As regards personalising - I saw one of these 'wrapped' in matt black, looked great.

Pete

I would have thought that re-mapping wouldn't make much of a dent in it Shayne, its simply 6+ liters of V*, that's it, thirsty :laughing-rolling:

You're right, the trucks I like because they're slow and heavy and powerful, whereas the Hummer is fast and looks heavy and powerful (in a different way).

I'm certainly not into speed these days, unless I'm on my downhill bike or skis.

Ask the wife...:lol::icon-rolleyes:

Huge sigh of relief today because it passed MOT with flying colours , must admit i was surprised given it probably hasn't been tested for years being from the Isle of Man .

Back