Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

clutch

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
If there is an earlier and later type manual gearbox, is there then a later and earlier type clutch plate etc?

The EPC seems to show that there is. (Some part number differences)

However aftermarket clutch kits such as the one on Milner and also on ebay seem to show only one kit from 1990-1997.

Mine is a 1991 HDJ81, so I would assume it has the earlier box.

24V clutches are bigger than 12V ones. Thats all I know. I fitted a Delvic clutch kit to my GS and am happy with it. I believe there are 3 incarnations of the manual box but JW could enlighten more on this one.

Andy

24V clutches are bigger than 12V ones. Thats all I know. I fitted a Delvic clutch kit to my GS and am happy with it. I believe there are 3 incarnations of the manual box but JW could enlighten more on this one.

Andy

I'm assuming that is bigger as in doesn't fit, rather than just a bit meatier of a plate?

Ah, thanks Andy, well that solves that mystery.

Now I just have to find the right one, my transmission is a H151F according to the chassis plate. Is that enough to go on as regards sourcing the correct one?

Genuine appears a little expensive to say the least. Especially for something like a clutch which you have to replace, like an exhaust. Mine is ok at the moment, but it feels like its nearer the end of its life rather than the start. And therefore I would prefer to have the part on the shelf, rather than wait until I really need it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So there are just 2 incarnations of clutch kit then Karl?

Anybody any idea who does a decent but cheap one for a 12v please?

Andy
Not Delvic should be Delphi.

Andy

So I made an interesting discovery that may help someone else.

A 1991 12 valve HDJ81 has a 300mm clutch plate, same as the 24 valve UK spec, it has the larger flywheel as fitted to the UK 24 valve. Now I doubt there are very many manual JDM trucks out there, but it may help someone.

Oh and the gearbox is nigh on impossible to get out of the transmission tunnel without lifting the body or removing the engine. A BFH (in the BIG, not necessarily brass sense) can also be used to widen the tunnel slightly. There just isn't room to get the bulge on the bell housing where the starter fits back far enough with the clutch in situ. As far as we could figure out anyway.

Did you remove the rad shroud and tip the engine back? Might be a bit more involved than that, you would need to check the FSM.

Did you remove the rad shroud and tip the engine back? Might be a bit more involved than that, you would need to check the FSM.

Contemplated that approach Rob, but modifying the transmission tunnel was so much easier and quicker!!! A few whacks on each side at the front of the footwell and there was no problem!!

Oh and the gearbox is nigh on impossible to get out of the transmission tunnel without lifting the body or removing the engine. A BFH (in the BIG, not necessarily brass sense) can also be used to widen the tunnel slightly. There just isn't room to get the bulge on the bell housing where the starter fits back far enough with the clutch in situ. As far as we could figure out anyway.
Remove the starter motor stud, pull the box off the dowels and then rotate it to clear the starter bump, loads of room then :shifty:

If you are using a trolley jack to re install the gearbox I would suggest you modify it in a similar way to this :-

IMG_0820_zps258d9160.jpg

I was struggling to re fit mine last year ( on my own) until I made this modification. The bars are made pretty much as an exact fit to the gearbox shape and the rear tab keeps it at the right angle for entry. With the gearbox on the jack it went in in about 15 min on my own. The big advantage also is the safety aspect, they are very heavy if they fall on you and with this it can't fall off.

Andy

Keep that handy Andy. I need to do my clutch soon I fear. Need to get a clutch first and we'll stick that Hundee box in at the same time. Release bearing is getting quite chatty now. I can play a tune on it.

Need to be ready for Romania. Don't want to be stuck driving up the ferry ramp

Remove the starter motor stud, pull the box off the dowels and then rotate it to clear the starter bump, loads of room then :shifty:

Yep that would have worked!

Pity I didn't think of that at the time. Think it was because I was using a pit and a proper transmission jack which was a bit of a novelty!

So best if I watch you do it start to finish Andy and then I'll do the next one?

It's tough, but I'll probably manage.

Back