Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Condensing Boiler Fault

frank rabbets

Guru
Hi
Hope i can save some of you some £'s. If your condensing cent

ral heating boiler packs up it is most likely a frozen condensate pipe where it leaves the house. The fix is to disconnect from the boiler and run the pipe into a bucket. restart the boiler and reconnect when weather warmer.

Frank

:thumbup: I've temporarily cut off the drain pipe where it leaves the house, and when the weather gets warmer will re-route it inside the house and exit nearer to the waste pipe it drains into.

Or nip down to your local plumber's merchants and but some suitable sized pipe insulation. Did my ~6m condensate pipe the other day for about 15 quid - no more freezing problems.

All the best,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
1994 HDJ80

Toby said:
Or nip down to your local plumber's merchants and but some suitable sized pipe insulation. Did my ~6m condensate pipe the other day for about 15 quid - no more freezing problems.
All the best,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
My pipe was lagged, but it still froze, the temp had gone down to -5

If the pipe outside is only 3/4" it will freeze, external condense pipe runs should be of 1 1/4" plastic waste pipe
Including where it goes through the outside wall as the draught in the cavity will freeze it if its only 3/4

My pipe is 22mm copper.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It does not seem to matter what diameter the external pipe is . As the water trickles it freezes in very low temperatures. Even vertical pipes freeze up! I've done Quite a lot of research and this problem is turning into a bit of a national joke. Our waste pipe is 1.5 inch ID and is frozen up well inside the wall even though it is angled down. It has been well below -10c.

Frank

OK, over the past few weeks with the temps outside getting so low, my system has frozen up 4 times, it freezes up from the drain pipe outside the house then backs up in to the system causing the boiler to stop working, when you look inside the panel the 30deg light is flashing and no matter how many times I tried to reset it, it just wouldn't ignite, this is how I've finally cured it via my mate the plumber boy.
* to begin with remove the pipe from outside and defrost, then you can either shorten this pipe dramatically or temporarily remove whilst we have the bad frosts, lagging them only traps the cold air inside the pipe and potentially makes them worse (the water is freezing as it dribbles down the pipes and causing the blockage)
* If neccessary use an air dryer on the length of pipe which comes back through the wall to the boiler, because it's likely that the frost has backed right up inside.
* Now check the pressure guage, it needs to read about 1.3bar, if it's less, look under the boiler and you'll see 2 silver braided hoses with black valve taps on them, open both taps completely (quarter turn) untill the pressure on the guage reads 1.3bar, this only takes a second or so so be quick to turn both valves back to their original position.
* Now try to reset the boiler by twisting the switch anti-clockwise, if the amber coloured neon light for the flame doesn't turn on and the 30 deg red light flashes you'll need to go to the next step !
* If the water has backed right up into the boiler itself it will cause the electrics to shorten
- Turn the power off to the boiler ! "Important"
- using a screw driver slacken the 2 screws either side of the lower front panel and lift the white front off.
- you'll now see a small see through resevoir to your right with 2 elecrtical terminals on the top, these are the safety cut out wires which when wet trips the system out and prevents the flame staying on, all you need to do is gently remove both these cables, remembering which one is which, and dry them out using paper towel or toilet paper and also dry the small tray in which they sit.
- reconnect the wires, turn the power back on and try the reset switch, it should hopefully now be cured, if so replace the front cover, tighten the screws and make yourself a well earned cup of tea, if it doesn't work then I'm sorry but you'll need to call your local plumber boy.
- Please note I'm not a registered plumber just an home DIY person, I found this advise simple to follow from my mate and as a result found that I'd like to share it with others to save them some money and keep them warm !

Regards all and merry Christmas,
Nick.

-!0c again and the utility sink is not flowing out. Time to run the condensate pipe into a bucket again before it shuts down.

Frank

Cossack said:
My pipe is 22mm copper.

For the condesate pipe it should always be plastic as it is acidic so you want to be changing that before it eats through the copper.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
Cossack said:
My pipe is 22mm copper.
For the condesate pipe it should always be plastic as it is acidic so you want to be changing that before it eats through the copper.Joe
My pipe has been there for over three years but there was no sign of corrosion. :thumbup:

Copper condense pipe = corrosion!!!!

I have seen a plastic condense pipe where some buffoon didnt glue the joint, slowly drip onto the copper gas pipe below it, and corrode right through the gas pipe, even seen condense a pipe just poked out through the wall over a concrete path, that caused the concrete to break up!

Dont underestimate the corrosion capabilities of boiler condensate, why do you think condensing boilers have plastic flues!

What is this pipe we should all fear? :)

My boiler has a copper pipe poking out the wall with a soft bend on it pointing back towards the wall. Never seen anything come out if it. Presumed it was a pressure relief pipe.

Crispin said:
What is this pipe we should all fear? :)

My boiler has a copper pipe poking out the wall with a soft bend on it pointing back towards the wall. Never seen anything come out if it. Presumed it was a pressure relief pipe.

yep pressure relief

if you have an older boiler say about 6 years or more then it may not be a condensing boiler so you wont have a condensate pipe to freeze up :thumbup:

Joe

ahh, mine is about 10 years old. Did not think that was old though.

Yes that is a pressure relief pipe, a condensate pipe will run to a drain

So why don't I have a condensate pipe?

Because you don't have any condensation. With an old boiler all the hot exhaust fumes go "up the chimney". With a Condensing boiler these fumes , which contain water vapour and acid , are passed over a condenser to remove all heat and in doing so they liquify and are got rid of via the condensate pipe.

Frank

Crispin said:
ahh, mine is about 10 years old. Did not think that was old though.

Its not that old but if you had a 10 year old condensing boiler you are on borrowed time. So (i shouldnt be saying this) Stick with your old one for as long as possible as in my opinion the older ones are a lot more reliable.

Back