Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cross country ultimate top mount intercooler.

This 80 I have just brought as a Alisport Front mounted one fitted, it seems to go ok and it looks pretty neat

The difference is pre turbo v post turbo air cooling steve , only by trying it both ways on the same engine could we gauge the difference but i believe it would be noticeable and top mount would offer more .

I just can't get myself to butcher the bonnet, so may go front mount.

They both cool the air post turbo.

Lots of pros and cons of each - there is a thread on here somewhere about it all.

I personally chose top mount as I have winch bumper (inc winch) so front wont fit anyway. Plus the fronts have a very long pipe run which can cause little lag but more importantly difficult to get to and work on if you have a loose connection etc.. Also fronts more susceptable to damage from flying debris etc..

But surely if they do get damaged your just down on power and it protects your radiator my 2 p.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
down on power, over fueling, possibility of water getting in and wrecking your engine, plus a big bill for a new intercooler.

Mine is an overland truck so needs to be reliable and fixable at the roadside. I didnt really want an intercooler at all, as reliability is key, but compromised as I would like a bit more power (as I will have a large cabin on the back of mine). I will also carry a long pipe so I can delete the intercooler if it breaks etc..

But a saved radiator, i'd rather be in the arse end of nowhere with a dead intercooler, rather than a dead radiator but i digress each to there own.

No catch can Mike?
I've long been after the emissions control manual but couldn't find it anywhere.
I was even allowed to search through my main dealers stock of old fsms. I found everything but...

I'm presuming removing egr stuff including the ecu just breaks a circuit. Once the circuit is made again the glow plug dash light will go out.
I haven't had time to study it so I'm just living with the light at the moment.

Michael, on the plus side an intercooler can save a engine should a turbo fail as small debris would get caught and not grenade the actual engine. Plus, the amount of stock turbo vehicles that come fitted with an intercooler, it's actually more of a concern why toyota didn't fit all there diesels with one out of the factory.

No catch can Mike?

i have a selection from old race cars to choose from! Did you just block off the airbox intake and feed the catch can from rocker cover breather? Or did you put the catch can between rocker breather and airbox?

Reading that Russian thread, they were getting airbag lights and brake vacuum warning lights when they deleted the EGR too. But that may just be them!

They both cool the air post turbo.

Of course they do , i never fitted or even considered fitting a cooler at the front so my previous comment was a brain fart :doh:

Theres no disadvantage to fitting an intercooler either way , the beneficial power increase comes from the resulting more efficient burn , if it alters EGT or engine temperature at all (and i can't imagine it does) its because your using fuel more efficiently .

The radiator cools the engine so putting an intercooler in front of it may or may not interfere with its efficiency .

It doesn't matter a damn to me because bonnet scoops look cool :lol:

i have a selection from old race cars to choose from! Did you just block off the airbox intake and feed the catch can from rocker cover breather? Or did you put the catch can between rocker breather and airbox?

Reading that Russian thread, they were getting airbag lights and brake vacuum warning lights when they deleted the EGR too. But that may just be them!
I plumbed mine into the air box per factory. No other reason really than my catch can came set up to do so.

Nope, just the glow light.

Back