Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

De-tuning a 1HZ with turbo

Rich Sims

Garage
Hi all, well I've had my cruiser for just over a month now and was a little worried about how high I can get the EGT readings and it goes a little too well, I fitted a boost gauge yesterday and my concerns are correct! its running just over 20psi and I know 10psi is a safe bet..

Today i have adjusted the waste gate to within half a thread of being open and still running around 18psi.. as I want reliability rather than power.

So my question is, all I can do is reduce the fuel right? oh its a 1HZ fitted with safari turbo and intercooler.

Trust me, I know nothing about this.

But, I run a HZJ 80 and I've thought of fitting a turbo, in the past.

Nothing's come of it and probably never will, but I'm sure I read somewhere (maybe ih8) that a turbo on the 1hz should not exceed 1.5 BAR, which by my math is 21 psi.

Sounds like yours is set up spot on.

Maybe worth a trip to Overland Cruisers, Julian would be able to assist you with engine tuning.

Rich, most important is your EGT's, high boost (within reason) not that bad, but small turbo pushing hot air is gonna melt your pistons. EGT should be kept below 750C.

What turbo and intercooler do you have?

thanks guys, I knew it was safer down at the 10psi mark and yesterday I wound the fuel out 1/3 turn in stages and have got the boost down to around 10 and sometimes creeps up to 15 which I'm happy with and EGT is a lot lower only could get it to 550 today. (probe after turbo so 100deg less).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back