Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Decent Ramps

Think you would have to make yourself a set Grant or you may be lucky like I was and find some old ones in a farm type sale. With the height of the cruisers though they don't get used very often.

Why not just jack up and put on axle stands?

Why not just jack up and put on axle stands?

Drive way is on a slight slope ... so don't trust the axle stands. Also axle stands aren't that safe when trying to undo something with a breaker bar.

Karl ... that is what I figured ... they don't make things like they used to.

Your right mate. Stuff is shxt nowadays.

Best bet is to keep an eye on the bay for an old set.

big ramps for big toys
30062011326.jpg

these are the ones i had made for me, they are about 16/17" high

the ones in front are normal ramps you can buy in shops

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was wondering about vehicle display ramps but they're damn expensive so I think I'll make a set during summer. The Halfords / Machine Mart ones are too narrow for Cruiser tyres anyway

If you have the space think big. We bought a four post hydraulic ramp of ebay for 350.

Been planning on making a set of HD ramps for yonks. My local steel stockholder will cut the pieces to length, exactly, and all I do is weld it all together. I can cut it, but they do it in seconds and charge nowt. With 2 sets I can drive the whole thing up in the air and it will be high enough off the ground to sit up underneath.

Been planning on making a set of HD ramps for yonks. My local steel stockholder will cut the pieces to length, exactly, and all I do is weld it all together. I can cut it, but they do it in seconds and charge nowt. With 2 sets I can drive the whole thing up in the air and it will be high enough off the ground to sit up underneath.

That's what i'd ideally like to do. I'm on the verge of ordering the EFS suspension setup from FNB .... and the ramps would make that alot safer and easier to do.

I really need to learn to weld.

I've always thought some of the ramps that car yards some times put vehicles up on to display them would be useful. The ones where you drive up onto them and then you hinge fold down legs out. They would get the vehicle 2-3ft off the ground and dont take up too much space when not being used. :think:

Ben, I think those would be good just to get some height but they wouldn't be quite as versatile as two sets of ramps. e.g Drive onto one set and jack high enough to place the second set under the chassis.

I have the same problem, my driveway isnt level and i dont really want to just trust the axel stands. The mass market ramps seem to max out at 245 tyre width, even the ones marked as 'van professional'. Is it just a case of DIY or is there a better solution? Btw that German chap listing on ebay for the hydraulic ramp... spoke to him. The platform isnt wide enough for the LC.

Until my stepmother through them out my dad had a set that my grandpa had made. They were made of different lengths of wood layered into, well a ramp. Bit bulky and heavy thought I'd mention it as an alternative.
image.jpg

Last edited:
there is one small problem with my ramps they are blood heavy but can handle the weight with ease

there is one small problem with my ramps they are blood heavy but can handle the weight with ease

That's the only 'problem' with mine. They were made years ago by a friend/neighbour of mine, now passed away. I used to help him out with his car now and again and after borrowing them one day he told me to keep them. He was a welder/fabricator and made them up from 30 x 30 x 3mm angle iron. They're only 10" high but they weigh around 30lb each.

Back