Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

diesel consumption

frank rabbets

Guru
Hi
I took my 2004 lc 100 4 speed auto for a run today. 300 miles at 70mph. When I brimmed it at the same pump after, it returned 22.8 mpg. Is that normal ? My 1995 lc 80 manual would have done 28 mpg.

Thanks
Frank

that's normal. poss to get it better by going slower.

2004 and 4-sp doesn't match. 2004s are all 5 speed, both UZJ100 and HDJ100.
The updated engine with the 5-sp gives a bit better return for your cheddar.
I do manage 28 mpg by driving 40-50 mph. Sometimes even a bit better if the topography is friendly.

Re: diesel V LPG fuel consumption

Currently I'm getting about 18 mpg running LPG via a V8 4.2 powerplant keeping my average speed about 60-65mph. I reckon if I'm really careful, I can stretch this out to about 20mpg (with a following wind etc). Either way, I'm NOT complaining given what I get back in pure driving pleasure.

John

The Dark Dude

Definately 2004 plus 4 speed . Checked registration book, car and handbook. All say 2004/4speed. UK car.

Thanks
Frank

I get 21mpg all the time unless I really nurse her, by all the time I mean;-

motorway average cruise 80'ish mph :twisted: - 21mpg
around town and country road's - :p 21mpg
towing 1600kg caravan 50'ish mph - :oops: 21mpg
towing boat 60'ish mph - :D 21mpg

you get the idea :D

ps I do like these smilies :dance:

Thanks
Puts mine mind at rest. Thought there might be something wrong; anyway something that you might have to fix. Not much right with low 20,s!!

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Since I sorted my starter motor a little over two weeks ago my fuel consumption as just going up and up. The car has now done over 240 miles since it was last filled with LPG (in Wolves) and is still going strong. Could a dodgy starter make that much of a difference in MPG? Very strange but I'm not complaining.

John

The Dark Dude

John "Dark Dude",

I dont understand a word :shock: ...Since you sorted your starter, fuel consumption is just increasing? You have now driven 240 miles since you filled it up some place called Wolves and your car is still going strong? You think it is very strange, but you are not complaining?

What do you want to express?...I dont get the point of the above comments from you! :oops:

Greetings

Wolves is what locals call the city of Wolverhampton. John will have to explain the rest though because I can't :lol:

After I removed my old Magiolina roof tent and just had the roof rack on I got 16.5 mpg, :thumbdown: which was the same as with the tent on, then after fitting the Airtop R/Tent, the next check showed 19.5 mpg, the next check was down to 17.5 mpg, but still better than having no R/T on.
The tent is the same type as the previous one, same shape and marginally less weight, but slightly thicker (the top shell has a higher profile) Maybe the different shape acts like an aerofoil and 'lifts' the Cruiser so effectivly making the truck lighter and more fuel efficient, but can the new tent make that much difference :think:

Have you tired running the tent blunt end at the front?

Birds, dolphins and whales all travel blunt end first and are very gently tapered to the tail end.

adrianr said:
Have you tired running the tent blunt end at the front?

Birds, dolphins and whales all travel blunt end first and are very gently tapered to the tail end.
But I would have to climb on the bonnet to get in the 'rear' door :confusion-confused:

oh yeah, sorry was just thinking about the fuel thing!!!

you could walk up your bonnet - be a bit slippy in the wet.

is there a side door as well?

adrianr said:
oh yeah, sorry was just thinking about the fuel thing!!!you could walk up your bonnet - be a bit slippy in the wet.is there a side door as well?
Yes there is a door at either side, but I want to use the one at the back so the side doors of the truck won't be obstructed by the ladder, I always found that a PITA when camped up, mind you I suppose it will still obstruct the tailgate.

I'm sure a tent on the roof adds amazingly to fuel consumption; especially when fully deployed like slowing down the space shuttle.

Frank

I notice that my 100 is doing 70 mph at 3000 rpm, but my 80 is doing 70 mph at 2500 rpm. Is this why the 100 uses more fuel per mile than the 80 , or am I trying to compare carrots with peas?
The 100 feels undergeared; why did Toyota not put higher ratio for top gear ?

Both are 4.2 diesel 24 valve and both mpg comparisons were done under same conditions; 22 for 100 and 28 for 80.

Frank

That sounds like the TC isn't locking up or it's not going into OD. I do know the cruise control seems to keep the TC unlocked at some speeds in the diesel on the 4 speeds but I don't know if the 5 speed has the same issue.

3000 @ 70mph sounds too high, mine is a 4 speed auto diesel.

Back