Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

diesel consumption

Hi Paul

Yes mine is 4 speed auto. [the 80 being manual].I would like to confirm there is something wrong rather than driver error before I take it back under warrantee . Last time when the diff lock was "seized on" Jon pointed out that I had pressed the button !

HELP

Frank

I thought you'd got the 5 speed Frank, which is 4 speed plus OD. You haven't got OD switched off have you? :mrgreen:

Sorry, mine is 3 speed plus OD

Hi Jon

Looking at the Toyota Car Data Archive my Amazon 2004 should do 26.6 mpg combined but it does far lower than that. I have not yet found the RPM per MPH figures so shall start searching.

Frank

I'm pretty sure that RPM at 70mph is wrong and is more in line with the rpm expected with OD switched off. Does the 5 speed still have an OD button like the old 4 speeds and if so does it have any effect when you use it at 70mph?

There's no mention of OD in the FSM but it shows a 'pattern select' switch (labeled ECT or Power on older trucks) have you experiemented with that?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Jon

Much to my benefit you are a genius at stating the obvious !
It was described to me as a 4 speed auto so I have been driving it in "4". If, in the same horizontal plane, I move the lever left to "D" it effectively becomes a 5 speed and I assume this is the overdrive position so effectively you were right and I have been driving around with overdrive turned off. Anyway what a difference! Now 2000-2200 at 70mph and MUCH quieter.
In my feeble defence I have never driven an auto with 2 options in one horizontal plane, this box has "D-4" on that plane and I had assumed that this was just the top gear option and to make sure it was in a secure position I had been moving the lever to the rhs of this plane. I assume your auto has not got the same layout otherwise you would have spotted my mistake?

I've only done a few miles so far in it and only 2 long journeys so shall look forward to seeing the difference in fuel consumption.

Thanks

Frank

aha, another good result :) The old 4 speed box like mine is just a straight shift with no sideways movement but now I know more about the 5 speed box shifter :thumbup:

Is it like this, ?
This is what the 120 auto stick looks like

9f7784af.jpg

G.

I must learn to post pics. My lever runs through an open slot with the letters and numbers printed on the rhs of it. Had they printed the 4 to rhs of the slot and the D to the lhs it would be much more obvious. At least the posted picture of the 120 has little white dots to show you where each position is and 4 is obviously to the right of D.

Frank

Here's the shift pattern of the LC100 gated shifter, with altogether 8 positions:
5916259358_6c30718073.jpg

THANKS!!

The circle in the middle of the slot represents my gear lever. I think that the "D" and"L" should be on the left hand side of the slot so thick people are not fooled. Any more with this opinion!

Frank

I bet plenty of people have been fooled by that Frank, not really very obvious that D-4 is depicting two positions!

Very much so, and so much quieter in the right gear; or was it left? I wondered why people rated these 100's. Now I know. Thrilled to bits and building a carport for my 80 to protect it from the sun and ice. Oh yes and stones over the stable wall. Was'nt you Jon in a fit of jealousy?

Frank

That's not good, can't think why that would be happening :thumbdown:

No complaints Jon; just kids who think that it's just a wall with a garden the other side and toss a stone they step on over it. I'm not at all worried.

Frank

Back