Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

diesel consumption

Went for a very long run yesterday in my 100 diesel. A mixture of 75 mph [indicated] and then stationary traffic through all the little towns around Bicester as the M40 was full on the way back. Terrible traffic. Filled up at the same pump on my return and returned 27.25 mpg. Very pleased indeed because when I was a lad autos were terrible compared with manual.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
Went for a very long run yesterday in my 100 diesel. A mixture of 75 mph [indicated] and then stationary traffic through all the little towns around Bicester as the M40 was full on the way back. Terrible traffic. Filled up at the same pump on my return and returned 27.25 mpg. Very pleased indeed because when I was a lad autos were terrible compared with manual.
Frank
Sound like that when you were a lad, autos didn't have Lock Up.

Hush!

Passed my test in 1962 in Cheltenham where there was only one set of lights and no cars!! Only took 5 mins. Through the gears,through the lights, emergency stop, 3 point turn and back to the centre.
I don't think there were autos yet.

Frank

Jon Wildsmith said:
Wolves is what locals call the city of Wolverhampton. John will have to explain the rest though because I can't :lol:

Lars

I must apologise for my poor use of English. Currently I'm still getting about 18 mpg out of my LC100 running LPG. Given that (in Wolverhampton) LPG is less than half the price of 4 star unleaded and diesel, my "real world" mileage is therefore closer to 36 mpg compared to the alternatives. That's way better than what Frank is getting out of his oil burner powered LC100. Better still I don't have to live with the "noise" because my silky smooth V8 4.7 runs near silent. Now that's what I call a result, in anyone's language. Words cannot describe how wonderful my Prinns Vsi LPG conversion is......Together with the V8 4.7 powerplant, it makes for the perfect combination. I reckon this would be even better with the 5 speed auto box in the later models.

Hope this makes things clearer.

The Other John

Dark Dude

Jon Wildsmith said:
aha, another good result :) The old 4 speed box like mine is just a straight shift with no sideways movement but now I know more about the 5 speed box shifter :thumbup:

Jon

Are you saying that our old style 4 speed auto boxes have a overdrive?

The Other John

Dark Dude

I'm almost completely deaf so my diesel is as silky smooth as your V8............ Pardon?

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
frank rabbets said:
I'm almost completely deaf so my diesel is as silky smooth as your V8............ Pardon?

Frank
Me too, could you print that a bit louder next time Frank :lol:

Dark Dude said:
Are you saying that our old style 4 speed auto boxes have a overdrive?
Yes, 4th gear is an overdrive gear, turned on and off with the OD button.

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Dark Dude":2vfdo3gs]Are you saying that our old style 4 speed auto boxes have a overdrive?
Yes, 4th gear is an overdrive gear, turned on and off with the OD button.[/quote:2vfdo3gs]

Well that's a turn up for the books. Me thinks another result for the V8/LPG combo! :D
This could save me a pretty penny or two while riding the M40 back a yard home to the Black Country. Happy daze! I hate the (bag of bolts) noise pollution caused made by the average oil burner. Should be made illegal. Nice to be deaf in such circumstances BUT what about the rest of us hearing people?

The Other John

Dark Dude

We all have to die, Frank! Unless you know different. :cool:

But before we leave the subject of fuel consumption, read this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-TOYOTA-L ... 1011248171

Given what this bloke has ALREADY got, it makes you wonder what else he wants in a motor. You can't please some people I suppose and some people have got more money than sense. Alas there is one question. Given that the LC100 is one of the best utility vehicles ever conceived by man, where do current owners go after their cars finally reach for the great off road trail in the sky? Like I said, we're all gonna die!

The Other John

The Dark Dude

Sorry to bring this one back to the boil, but is anyone towing a big van Etc with a diesel 100 and if so what mpg's are you getting ? I guess with them being a bigger motor than the 90's and more engine torquethe difference between towing and non towing will be less of a difference ! This has opened my eyes a bit to q 100 as I assumed the average figures would be the low 20's mpg !

It probably will be low 20's with a trailer on! My 4.2 manual 80 does 28/30 unladen but 22/23 with a car and 4 wheel trailer.

Frank.

I am running 23M/G ....on avarage in my 2001 4,2TDI with 332.000 km.
Hauling our 2500 kg horsetrailer (with horses!) ....I get 20M/G.
Hauling my 3500 kg trailer with my (a bit too heavy) skid steer loader (4200 kg)I get 18M/G
Speed when hauling in Denmark is max 50 M/h.

When going 30-50 M/h (without trailer) like scenic roads or gravel, I get 25M/g.....so slowing down is the fast way to save fuel.. :think:

I am not sure about the effect of the tires. I run 295/75-16 BFG-AT :cool:

Regarding diesel vs petrol....I think they are both great engines...you just make a choice and love all the upsides :dance: ...and close your eyes for the downsides :hand:

When I drive the 4,7 V8 I love the quick response at low speeds, the smoothness, the sound.....when I pass 50 M/h I say there is no difference in sound or handling/driving characteristics :shifty:

When I drive my own 4,2R6 I just love the sound when she fires up...ohh the sound of all 24 restless valves ..ohh yes I can hear them all singing to me :roll: ...after about 500.000 km totally driving in the 3 LC 4200 TD´s I have had....I "need" that sound of a good old 6-in line Toyota diesel...

When I tried the new 4,5 V8 twin turbo....286HP / 600nm....thats quite something completely different...try it!!!....-and more fuel effecient the the 100!

Well...I think they are all wonderful cars, I just hope you are happy with exactly the one you have....

Back