Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Double din thingymajig ?

What’s the one to go for these days? Think the time has finally come to rip out the tape deck.

Get one with Apple car play and android auto if you can find a good deal on a double din unit. I paid about 200 for mine as I wanted dab as well.

That’s all I’m after really - DAB and compatibility with all phones and Bluetooth streaming and calls. Not bothered about screens and video and apps and sat nav etc. The more basic the better.

What’s the one to go for these days? Think the time has finally come to rip out the tape deck.
Not so fast!
Tapes are making a comeback according to something on the news the other day..

What sort of aerial is needed for DAB?

I heard that too. Made me feel both old and totally with it at the same time.

I think most people use a windscreen aerial in older vehicles.

You can get screen stuck on aerials, that work ok for dab. If you just want dab and Bluetooth should be about 100 quid I recon. @Jacob100 if you need a hand fitting let me know.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No radio for me , in my mind radio plays 2 good songs a day and you can guarantee some muppet will talk shite all the way through them , traffic reports have me wanting to punch the dash when i'm listening to tapes .

Off topic but i would like to remove the radio antenna and put a CB antenna in its place if i can find a suitable mount , any opinions on that ?

I was going to pull the Buy button on a unit on a slow ship from China at $50. If it didn't work could have it as a small foot stool
Seems every variation under the sun out there.
Lets us know how your works out

Yea only thing you need is the wiring harness adapter from Toyota flavour to the standard iso flavour. You can cut and solder on the connectors but for 5-10 quid I’d just buy the adapter.

.... What sort of aerial is needed for DAB?
The only way to go is a roof aerial. A window mount will give loss of signal in many more locations than a good through-the-roof. Look at the offerings from antennetechnik atbb.eu. Very solid and easy to install. E.g. a dab/fm/GPS-combo.

Never mind i give up with photos windows banned them i reckon .

I'm only just having a mess about fitting this and i'm glad i did because the old radio brackets seem to fit better than those that came with the double din unit and while it will be a ball ache trying to get it there i reckon i can stick the GPS receiver to the underside of the dash so out of sight and out of mind but nothing but thin plastic and glass between it and the clouds .

Bit stumped right now though with where to put the mike which i guess is for bluetooth phone calls , does it matter much ? where did you put yours ?

I'm just generally putting stuff where i want it to be then i will let an auto electrician do the rest .

Last edited:
Shayne my new Pioneer DAB radio works just fine though a splitter from the standard antenna and has not lost signal yet
B16C7595-C07A-4E5F-A9F8-B1B1AF34C815.jpeg

I'm not so worried about GPS signal my phone gets it through the roof and rooftent so it will be fine and is better off hidden . Radio i have no use for and the old DAB antenna stuck to the windscreen plugs in ok so that can stay whether it works or not but the mike has me stumped its like a miniature microphone singers use and i'm inclined to just tape it to the top of the dd unit , or shall i let it peak out from under the dash so it will pick up sound easier ?

My mic for the hands free comes up near the sun visor

Back