Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

engine management light!! Injectors???

sonofsteptoe

Country Flag
ireland
Hi there, long time reader first time poster looking for advice,
I've a 04 lwb 140k on the clock,(reg service) never missed a beat in my 6 years including the battery!!!
However I feel an injector problem fast approaching...Recently its started to lose power and then the eml would come on
and it would cut out, won't start on the key however, a tow of 20ft and away it goes until I let the engine idle, then the light comes on
and 20secs later it cuts out. Process of elimination-- I took off the tank flushed it out(a lot of gunk) flushed the lines and put in a new filter and new battery---No change!!
To sum up I can go out to it any morning and it will start first time(even after laying up for a week) and it ticks over fine. No knocks etc!! If i then drive for
a mile or 2, come to a junction and let the engine idle, it'll cut out!! (may or may not start on the key) but it will start with a tow of 10/20 feet!! This is
repeated at 2 more junctions till I get home. If I repeat that route but keep the revs above 2000rpm it'll make the trip but as soon as i get back to the yard
and let her idle, she cuts out.....injectors???...........Aaaaaaaaargh
Please help, have to drive her Sante Fe
Any recommendations on where to go? I'm in Kildare

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to the problem but my truck is same age and similar mileage, my first step would be to take into a local garage and get the codes read off the engine, this hopefully should point you in the right direction as to where the problem lies. Its got to be cheaper than diving straight in for replacement injectors.

Not sure that this is related but after I chipped mine it would go into limp mode if I really hit the gas, error codes stated turbo failure. After running 1 full tank of diesel dosed with 150ml of two stroke oil (which I now do on every fill) my issues were resolved.

Keep posting up how this pans out for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply,Sorry, Should have mentioned I've had it at the local garage (not main dealer) and they said "fuel problem" with the generic diagnostics tools that
they have, ie problem could be anywhere from the filler cap to the exhaust tip:think: Now don't get me wrong i don't believe they're trying to screw me over
by any stretch of the imagination (been good to me over the years) and I know I'll eventually have to bring it to someone with a specific diagnostics kit , I just
said I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else had a similar problem. Cheers and will do

It does not sounds like the "normal" injector fault. Check with local Mr-T if it is on the recall list (early '04 might be). If it is, get it to them pronto for the work.

Mine had fueling issues but showed itself as a lack of power when you wanted it. Could not go faster than 60ish or accelerate hard for a long time, it would start dying. I don't recall the EML coming on though. Mine was badly blocked filter (diesel bug?) and fuel pickup in the tank (had leaves in it!).

The 120's will not talk to the genric code readers, you have to take it to a dealer for that.

Could it be one of the vacuum pipes near the rear of the engine for the EGR? I think it was TonyP who had one off and caused the engine to behave very oddly. They're just press-fit.

Hi, i agree i don't think its that injector seal issue as mentioned alot on forums. After i flushed my system out, i brought it out onto the motorway for a good blow out
and she flies, no problems right up through the gears and can travel along at any speed (ahem ahem!!!) However as soon as I let her back to idle, she dies. Anyhow I've
sent off an e.mail to mr T Ireland and I'll let you know how that goes. Not holding out for a very positive response to be honest! I'll let ye know:icon-question::icon-question:

Small air leak which leans it out enough to stall at idle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
cheers, i'll investigate that in the morning, after that i'm whipping them out for testing/cleaning

Could it be one of the vacuum pipes near the rear of the engine for the EGR? I think it was TonyP who had one off and caused the engine to behave very oddly. They're just press-fit.

Sorry missed this post. When I removed my inter cooler to fit the boost box, I missed reconnecting one of the small vacuum pipes, and it really did effect the performance. It just would not accelerate, and top speed was severely reduced. No EML lights, just crap performance.

Sorry i havn't updated before now. Anyhow I brought the Jeep to Diesel Solutions in Dublin. Told it was either seal on the H P pump or the injectors. They tested the pump first
which was ok so next on to the injectors, which they replaced at a cost of 650euro.I was told very close to catastrophic collapse!!! Jeep running like new....happy days. After 6/8
weeks driving i got a huge cloud of white smoke and engine started to rev very high!! I managed to shut it down and had it towed to my local mechanic fearing the worst. However the turbo
seemed ok and he felt there was movement in the CS so back to injector trouble. He took them out and I brought them back to Diesel Solutions who checked them that day and they were fine.
They reckoned it was the seal on HP pump 350euro to replace. Not too bad, however my local man wanted to put back in the injectors to make sure engine was ok before i spent more on pump.
He also did some phoning around and was told that a pipe that brings excess fuel away from injectors may have failed. He replaced that and the Jeep is back flying again......fingers crossed!
All said I have the highest of praise for the lads in Diesel Solutions for their service and of course my own man

Back