Eventually started with some jobs

Jake the Peg Jan 29, 2019

1. Higgy

Higgy Well-Known Member Supporter I am in denmark

Map
    Started taking my front axle off today.... Not a bad job really... Keep up the good work. Looking Good!... I do like the colour of your Truck..... Crack on!:thumbup:

2. Jake the Peg

Jake the Peg Member I am in scotland

Map
    So who knew that the axle case I got for replacing mine was different, well I should have picked up on it before stripping it out. Mine has the front diff lock where as the replacement I have doesn’t! I could cut out the step to allow it to fit and there will be 1 hole to drill and tap but I decided to grind out and the weld the broken radius arm mounting and then clean up and paint the casing and some other parts
    Rebuild starts tomorrow, new wheel bearings, new swivel bearings, new half shaft seals, new hub seals, brake pads and all the axle / arb bushes. It should hopefully drive ok after that, the swivel bearings were really bad, one lower bearing fell to pieces when I removed the lower arm and the other lower was almost seized! 383E3398-15B7-4390-9AC4-B7C3344706E8.jpeg 801E6661-92FF-47A6-916E-0787B4808A17.jpeg D25D5F3F-2F3F-4307-9542-AD75F4E9D7B3.jpeg

3. Jake the Peg

Map
    @Higgy, yes not a bad job and easier on the ramp than on my knees at the side of the house. Was nice to be in the shade today as the last 2 days with the big light on outside my solar panel has burned a little

4. Higgy

Higgy Well-Known Member Supporter I am in denmark

Map
    Definitely easier on the Knees! Rough Trax do a complete axle rebuild kit or just a seal and Gasket kit... But Not in stock at the Moment.... Milners do one , A tenner cheaper...... Unless your a genuine Parts Man!...... Iv been lucky so far that all bearings iv 'teken' off, Have been like new

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  5. Jake the Peg

Map
    Almost back together tonight but was rushing home from the workshop and forgot to take more pictures, I was given a box a bunch of 80 new spares from a local guy who has stopped using his, in there were 2 sets of genuine hub seals, wheel bearing seals and halfshaft seals and outer drive flanges, along with a couple of sets from millers and a new hks cv joint. I’ve not fitted the cv as it seems from reading here they are made from chocolate!
    I’ve adjusted the front diff backlash before refitting, fitted all new bearings, new bushes in the panhard rod and I’m afraid the only paint I had with me for the springs was silver, wonder if it will last longer than iron mans yellow! 8F1773D7-4558-4957-A45A-28AE804DAEBD.jpeg F6B200A6-8C07-4F09-8E30-92F33190FF5C.jpeg

Higgy and chapel gate like this.
  6. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter Promoted Company I am in england

Map
    Cheese spread would probably last longer than aussie suspension coatings..

7. The old school

The old school New Member I am in uk

Map
    This is a very good work .I am actually about to start on my project of the landcruiser just a question

where did you get the wheel knuckle seal from ?

8. Jake the Peg

Map
    I got these from a local guy, free genuine Toyota parts!

There are plenty suppliers, some of the forum guys do parts, @chapel gate @karl webster then rough Trax and milners for aftermarket, there’s is plenty information on here and some good YouTube movies for doing the job

Cheers

chapel gate likes this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter