My wife recently bought a Tesla.
OMG
It is super cool.
With efficiency of 5 miles for 7,5 pence,
We went from Cheshire to Windermere and back, 186 miles,
Her has a range of around 330 miles.
IMG_20230704_192323.jpg
for £2.53.

How did you get that number? 2.53 is only about 7kwh.

Can it tow a 3.5 ton trailer ? or any trailer ?
How long is the battery expected to last ? and will it still be working at 100% efficiency in 25 years time ?
And if it had been winter and freezing cold 186 miles would probably have been it's full range....
Not sure your £2.53 calculation is correct ....
Don't be lulled into thinking that EV's are not going to be heavily taxed and electricity prices going to soar once "they" have control of the transport market.....
At the moment for the few that can afford them and have a drive to charge it on EV's kinda work..... this winter when we are facing planned power cuts and a shortage of capacity on the grid things may not work so well.... if the whole country bought EV's tomorrow the grid would collapse and will do for the foreseeable future .

Tesla's are probably better with their superchargers, but there's been plenty of reports in the press that EVs work out more expensive to run than a petrol when you end up having to charge them a motorway service station.

Depreciation of EVs seems to be crazy at the moment, plus all the issues with insurance companies writing them off for minor bumps because they can't stand over any battery repairs. Expect your premiums to go up, even if you don't have an EV - the insurance companies will want their money somehow.

Also if you think the gov is just going to say bye bye to the tax revenue they get from petrol/diesel and give EV's a free ride, think again. They just haven't quite worked out how yet but you can bet they're after pay per mile somehow.

At the moment EVs suit some people perfectly. They will get better no doubt as the charging infrastructure improves; personally I'm still not convinced they are the right answer, but everything is going in that direction - maybe it's part of the answer. I certainly couldn't consider using one for work purposes at the moment. I couldn't afford to pay for the car, the downtime or the grief!

Ive heard that after an accident, some tow companies refuse to help, some of it in part due to 15m required all around in storage, also some councils are banning them from multi stories.
Fire brigades are not fully equipped to deal with any fires from them either.
The whole story has not been told about the many disadvantages.
I wonder exactly how many of the government have ditched ICE vehicles completely, hmm....
As Karl says with any damage/easy write offs, we will all be paying the price in insurance hikes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are pros and cons to everything and IMO the pros are being overplayed and the cons played down. Even if there were no cons, personally, I'm just not interested in an EV, well OK, as a short distance, urban, oversized shopping trolley/commuter maybe but I want something to "drive" with engine noise, a gearbox, and a powerband, even more so on a motorcycle. JMO

But that's because they are too heavy. Maybe not the greatest argument against them on a Land Cruiser forum.

I wonder if it's also because they're a fire risk? Seems like fires on these can't really be extinguished? Bad enough when a normal car goes up in a multi story...

I wonder if it's also because they're a fire risk? Seems like fires on these can't really be extinguished? Bad enough when a normal car goes up in a multi story...

Well councils aren't banning them at all so we can make up all sorts of reasons. The news story was based on a report from structural engineers worried about the weight and then speculation about what actions might be taken.

A definate that councils arent banning them then ?

I don't think any of it is a good argument on a Landcruiser forum, but this is in lounge where anything goes.

We obviously read/heard different stories, weight and fire amongst them, so we can all speculate on the situation until 'official', whatever that is.

Last edited:
I was chatting to a Tesla owner a couple of weeks ago.

He told me he has been fully on board with the whole climate change bull shit since 2015 and wanted to do his bit to save the planet.
He then went on to say he replaces his EV every 3 years :doh:

I do wonder if these people have had some kind of lobotomy as their thought processes are clearly flawed.

Pretty sure some ferry companies have banned EV's..... the thought of a fire that is inextinguishable and likely to rapidly spread on a ship hours away from shore is scary ...I know they have CO2 systems but they won't work on an EV that will self combust again repeatedly ....
Not to mention the big European tunnels ....we've already seen terrible events in some of them and that was pre EV .
Only speculation but it wouldn't surprise me if these risks are being ignored by the supporters and blind rush to force EV's as the solution for whatever reason they have dreamed up ....

Does anyone know of a council that's ban'd any EV from parking etc ? I am looking but not finding anything.

The weight questions are interesting for sure, but even a Tesla S plaid is lighter than a land cruiser 200!

This is worth a read, if you want to understand an insurers perspective (which is relevant from a risk management perspective).

https://static.rsagroup.com/rsa/com...ehicle-charging-and-enclosed-car-parks-v1.pdf
To give an example, if you don't want to wade through it...

"Vehicle Charging Separation
Maximise the separation distance between vehicle charging bays, with 5-m minimum separation distance ideal. When 5-m is impractical, then provide a minimum addition of 1-m separation above standard vehicle parking bays sizes for vehicle charging bays."

Interesting...

Yes that is interesting Dave, as I've never seen/used one, I wonder if charging bays comply with that, or what or if the legal aspect is if closer.
Imagine a row of 4/6 cars for example, all on charge, or even 1 in a car park, and 1 ignites that spreads to others.
I wonder how insurance companies would deal with that - or even the fire service, they have monumental problems dealing with a EV's on a transporter that catch fire, with 1 being dumped in a ro-ro skip full of water overnight, after a fire tender followed recovery to the salvage yard, in case of further ignition.
Ok, extreme it might be, but can happen.

Anyone have specific numbers on this? Just searching on Google I can only find two views : 'this isn't a big deal', and the other 'this is a very big deal'.

Neither view seems to have any real data....

A while ago every Ford EV was already on it's second battery by the time it was delivered.... Ford had an "issue" with their battery's .
Not only that .... the "new" battery came on a great big diesel HGV that could only carry a maximum of 3 battery's because of the fire risk despite it being a 44 ton artic . This same truck also wasn't allowed to take the old ones away so that entailed another 44 ton artic trip . The other slight issue was again because of the fire risk the dealer wasn't supposed to have more than a certain number of battery's on site at any time.... These rules were put in place by Ford so they obviously regard EV's as a fire risk..... the local fire service were kept in the dark about the number of battery's kept on site because it exceeded 3 as collection of failed batts wasn't keeping pace with delivery of "new" ones . And the local fire service are very concerned about the fire risk EV's and their battery's pose and would have shut the dealer down .

The upshot of this is all those Ford EV's will never be "zero emission's" as even Tesla reckon their vehicles are not neutral until nearly 100k miles I believe ...... no Ford EV is ever going to make 200K miles

Back