EV's -Tesla

They might be ok if

1) theres an incentive on the price - fleet buyers, company cars etc

2) someone else is paying for it

3) you can charge at home. Dont charge it overnight though - see unlucky 13

4) you always travel to the same places and theyre within your range

5) you never need to use your car to go somewhere unexpected in an emergency

6) you never need to charge at a public charger especially at motorway services

7) you dont mind the car being written off because of a minor shunt, and nobody will take the risk of a battery repair

8) you dont drive much in the winter - your range will go down

9) you dont drive much in the summer - using that a/c will cause your range to go down

10) you don't mind spending the night before your trip looking at maps, weather forecasts and websites to make sure you plan your trip

11) you dont mind loading 300 apps on your phone just to make sure you can use all the chargers

12) you have an extra budget for tyres because these things are heavy and go through more tyres than the michelin man

13) you can park it a long way from your house. If it decides to go on fire, you aint putting it out. Neither is anyone else.

..14) you don't need to tow a 1.5t caravan, 2 people, luggage, fishing tackle and a dog to Scotland for your holidays - your range will go down. :thumbdown:

I think most current EV sales are company funded....
A friend has just got the BMW X5 EV thingy as a company car.... I quote... " I don't like it but I save 15K a year on company car tax verses my previous Audi A6 diesel estate so it's a no brainer "
Basically the government are bribing people to buy EV's with our (non EV owners) money by giving them tax breaks etc.... I'm convinced if the playing field was level few people would by an EV.

Wait until the newly structured EV rfl really kicks in and starts increasing (as all things gubbermint do) Maybe some ? EV owners will feel had over on the benefits from owning one, or the running costs originally given.

I think the battery risk carries over to anyone alive with a phone, a laptop and anyone who has a solar setup likely has the same battery size as a car ( or larger!).

For now, I think the phev make the most sense. Full EVs are still in early days

Wait until the newly structured EV rfl really kicks in and starts increasing (as all things gubbermint do) Maybe some ? EV owners will feel had over on the benefits from owning one, or the running costs originally given.

I don't think the one off VED cost will put many off, its when they start adding the equivalent fuel tax, and then full rate VAT on the fuel and fuel tax that the penny will drop, then the level playing field will come into play but i don't think the susbisdies will stop until people have no choice but to go battery if they wish to buy a new vehicle.

Maybe at some point people will realise this is all designed to remove private transport from the pleb working classes whom all the elites despise, easier to hide true population figures when people are confined to their 15 minute ghetto.

Yep, they don't need to hide population figures anyway, they have no idea who's here, except the legal, law abiding folk they keep squeezing with extra made up rules and taxes.
The 'elites' are only that in their own imagination through their 'norm' - corruption !!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
company funded
Yes many are getting into it to take advantage of Govt bribe. I thought of going for a used Lexus hybrid next year to replace the current one but ended up with EV. Many did same.

Full EVs are still in early days
Agree, when buying Landcruiser I saw decades of history and development. All EVs I looked are 2-3 years old. The one I am waiting for feels like “just out of the lab” model compared to any of the cars I drove

... 20240214_093847.jpg

I went for EV6 finally and getting PPF. It hurts looking at all the paint damage on my Landcruiser so decided to go for full PPF on this car.
Landcruiser has a lot of clear coat peeling off. This pic is from last year. Now it’s even worse. If it had PPF this could be avoided. Now the only option for me is to repaint bumper and get PPF but it’s an elephant compared to EV so I have to go in bits
IMG_4728.png

@Raj Let me know how you get on with the EV6 Raj, I'm looking at the Enyaq or Tesla Y.

I drove this one. It was the cheapest among this range EVs, good dealer response and many more good things but it didn’t feel like a car. It felt like a cart on wheels. I would have got it if I didn’t open the front bonnet. It’s just a thin metal sheet and there is nothing on the inner side. It felt like half finished job. It felt like it ll bend if we rest our hand on it.

Last edited:
That's interesting Raj, I've the same thoughts on the 'Y', especially as it looks like a jelly mould (reminds me of the Ford Sierra, when it first came out!!). It's more the high speed charging network that interests me.
I like the EV6, but it'll probably plump for the longer range Enyaq, as it's an estate.

This was my first choice too based on its size and good reviews but when I called the dealer for test drive, they told they will call me back but never called me back. I then booked Ford as the dealer was responsive and car had longest range in its class but deposit plus cost for PPF was going over my budget so cancelled Ford and went for EV6 as it was good enough for my needs, feels like a car inside out and within my spending limit. If I was not obsessed with PPF, I would ve got Ford few weeks ago.

Tested my father's Enyaq. Two drawbacks: Doesn't like colder than minus 20 C, and no rear seat heat.

At minus 22 C, after driving 140 km and draining the battery to 25%, the top charging speed started at 25 kW on a 150 kW charger. Went up to 40-something after 20 mins.
The 12 V battery low warning came on, yellow light. This light stayed on while driving and after about half an hour driving the warning changed to red, engine power cut, warning "Stop immediately". (Luckily there was a parking/stopping pocket just there, in the middle of nowhere along a narrow, winding country highway). Stopped and started again, and all warning lights where gone. The yellow 12 v warning came on again after a minute or two of driving. Dealer says they've heard of a few cases, but don't know why and don't have a solution yet. I'm guessing lack of temperature compensated 12v charging voltage, combined with a small battery. Maybe also lack of 12v charging when the car is being charged.

For long distance driving in the cold, one way to increase the range is to use less on comfort heating. With warm clothing, heated seats and steering wheel, it works pretty well. But when there is no back seat heating, it gets cold back there. Seat heating takes only 1/20 of the power of the hvac heat pump, but when it is directly on the body, it heats you up quite well.

I keep comparing EVs to the Nissan Leaf, where they really spent a lot of effort and money on proving that an EV could be a real car. It works well, except for short range and lack of battery temperature management. At minus 15 C, there is no difference between a fast charger and home charging, about 2-3 kW.

Hi @uHu You're right, proper cold weather is definitely a problem on EVs. Thankfully, we don't get the minus peaks you get in Norway, just shed loads of rain nowadays!
What I find frustrating, is that, as the years go by, lots of issues have been highlighted, but the many manufacturers don't seem to learn from each other!...... like the benefits of a heat pump!
There's no ideal EV out there yet, unless you're spending £100k+ and they're not perfect! Trouble is..... I don't want one of the endless SUVs, but a good estate and a longer range, decent spec Enyaq seems to be the best of not many!

Last edited:
Back