Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fiery

I'll take that pint Chris, I'll either do a wrap on it or Artex the bugger :eusa-liar::eusa-liar:

Artex? Brother, I'd pay to see that. I might try it myself. Got some dents that need plastering over myself. Maybe just have the old bus rendered. Ha ha.

Joking aside, if I was to gob loads of filler in, sand it back and than NATO green it, it would look half decent.

Looks like Fiery has landed well and truly on her feet being all spruced up doing exactly what she does best and she doesn't even have to get dirty doing it !

Alas poor Fiery is very unwell. Sis was driving back to the UK today and the truck let go half way up France. Truck fairly heavily loaded and had been doing a series of long climbs before power cut out and loads of steam.

Think Sis had not seen the temp climbing and kept on driving, radiator top has a 6 inch horizontal split and clanky noises deep down. Heat seized is the diagnosis.

So Fiery stays in French storage for 3 weeks until it can be brought back to UK, I've managed to source another full engine and poor suffering Mr Delmonti has agreed to help me do the engine swap.....here we go again.

oh no! poor Fiery :(
get a gauge fitted with new motor, pref with an alarm!

doh!

I have the same one as Ben sat here, was going into Lil' Blue but will go into Fiery instead. Real shame and felt awful only being on the phone talking to Sis as it all went pear shaped for her. Never mind though, it'll be all right in a few weeks time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You bad bad boys :lol:, to be fair it's only humour that gets us through these calamities and for once it's not my truck.

Sorry Trevor, I've followed the Fiery and the li'l Blue sagas from the beginning, and the news of Fiery's little failing did come as a a nasty shock.

It just goes to show that these trucks are human after all, err fallible err.... whatever.

Anyway, I'm sure you won't give up until it's fixed and ship-shape again. A few more pages to the saga it seems..... Good luck! :thumbup:

The only frustrating thing is I put a load of work into Fiery before Sis took it away and this could have been so easily avoided. Nursing a hot engine along at slower speeds was doable and probably a new rad and other bits and pieces would have fixed it.

I'll be interested in opening up the knackered engine just to see what damage has actually happened, the French mechanic was able to turn the engine once cool and it kicked out loads of smoke. Guessing broken piston rings and a scored bore or two.

It's a shame she didn't back off, would have saved the engine and could have probably nursed the truck home afterwards.

Ah bugger Trev, well at least you know what you will be doing for summer :icon-evil:

Gutted for your sister m8 :icon-cry: Don't be to hard on her! I couldn't tell you how often I've pushed on at a brisk pace with a full load for a weekend in Wales or Lincomb without a thought of looking at the temp gauge. I'd be very interested to find out what the probable cause of the overheat was. I wonder how many of us are now considering the purchase of some kind of water temp alarm! I wonder if an EGT alarm would have given an earlier warning of the impending doom?! Please keep us informed of how things are going. How's your sister? Has she managed to get back yet?

Sis has had a trying day, an hours cab ride to a car hire place. Then tried to make the ferry at Calais but didn't make it so she's in a hotel now and will cross tomorrow. I did suggest speaking to the locals and take a ride in the back of a lorry but she wasn't keen :lol:

I thought she would have chucked the towel in and give up on Fiery but she's smitten (there goes my Fiery/Lil' Blue hybrid out the window). She's chuffed I found an engine so quickly so now I need to order another rad, hoses etc. I've figured out my temp gauge with programmable relay and looking for a 12v sounder now (I really want something like an aircraft pull up warning sounder or something cool that won't deafen her) and link into a MOMO switch/relay to turn it off.

She's calmed down a lot, was very emotional and stressed out when it became clear it was a major blow up but now safe in the knowledge that Big Bruv will sort things out for her.

Last edited:
Bravo big bruv, where would li'l sis be without you!

I'm glad she didn't write off the idea of getting Fiery back on the road! :clap:

I hope you get Fiery back on the road asap. I have to say it seems woman dont look at gauges etc as often as the men ( or at least those that work on there own cars and understand them a bit better) and it could of been something as simple as a stuck thermostat but the heat has killed it. so yes good idea with the alarm:thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear that Trev. :thumbdown:

Fingers crossed the engine swap goes smoothly! :pray:

Your going to be an expert on the 1KZ-TE the way your going, might have to fly you down here when mine needs rebuilding! :lol:

That temp gauge and alarm are definitely worth fitting! I spend a lot of the time when I'm driving checking my 2 temp gauges and I'm sure they've stopped me a few times from cooking my engine! Setting the gauge up with the alarm will be great and is something I've been meaning to do with mine! :icon-biggrin:

soooo, what do you reckon is the temperature that cooks the engine? 100 degrees?

I would have said way higher than 100 degrees Steve. Once over 100C the water blows out of the system, then there's no stopping it. I'd guess the damage is done (seizing wise) at 400-500C, the melting point of the white metal bearings. Aluminium pistons would melt at a much higher temp I would guess (and I am only guessing) :whistle:

Back