Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fiery

Finished swapping over final bits from the old engine to the Surf one. Then put in the temp alarm.

0C7FBA7D-6534-4AC7-8975-73848832C5A0_zps4glmyujz.jpg

Dropped the sensor in the top hose but it was letting a small amount of water through, put some RTV inside and the outer edge and everything is water tight now.

58410986-67BF-4D11-9007-A8CB7EE4AAB4_zpsfufwdddi.jpg

I stripped and tested the viscous fan and finally all is back in the engine bay.

D5865901-E319-4B4F-8772-D03763F32246_zpsj8x0xnss.jpg

Brakes next as one disc trashed after the pad went to metal, pistons seized in the front calipers so 4 discs and 4 calipers fitted today.

EF399F70-CD41-45B8-B949-4B06468DFFFF_zpsmkthbunh.jpg

9609C197-E6BB-481A-805F-75FE64865601_zpso8njp04y.jpg

C13D6AAE-CA89-4D90-B1A3-A010DE6E94F1_zpsjeyip2z1.jpg

7AC79099-D243-4B76-9E2F-900C2DB386A4_zps5mne9emy.jpg

Engine is showing low oil pressure, will change the oil filter then sensor just in case. However I suspect the oil pickup pipe in the sump may have a pinprick hole or 2 in the weld and might be acting like a hole in a drinking straw so the oil pump can't lift enough oil to the top end.

Passenger handbrake is full of diff oil, the Swiss mechanic had all sorts of problems with it and suggested it may have a bend in it so I'm now looking for another halfshaft ideally with wheel bearing and ABS ring already in place....if you have one please PM me.

So Fiery is still resisting a bit but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, worst part is going to be disappointing Sis as I thought it would all be finished for this weekend.

:tools-wrench:That's a real marathon that you've run there Trev! Then on the final bend someone's added a couple of extra miles!!! I take my hat off to you m8 :clap:

It's a job I used a bit of pressure treated timber when I made that bump stop :lol: It was only ment to get me through the Lincomb before I sold her to you before I replaced it and yet it still lives :icon-smile:

Changed oil filter and oil pressure switch, no more warning light yay.

After fitting the all the new brake parts, the rear passenger handbrake was full of diff oil again.

C5EFFD96-DD5C-4378-8548-07CC7935953D_zpslcalwsvz.jpg

Pulled the halfshaft and and decided to replace with a second hand one. The idea being to rule out the suspicion of a bend in the original.

6B829D09-8569-4371-95BA-22449D463470_zpsudnvlpkd.jpg

Removing the oil seal

D62AF8AA-1A61-484A-92D8-B8E7ABAD9D93_zpssc5o41ux.jpg

Didn't have a socket big enough to drive in the new oil seal so got a proper kit.

039082D3-A37A-4B0B-91C3-1645812A015C_zpsldflrzra.jpg

New seal and O ring

7C3C3E93-1D4C-4EC0-B2D6-47DA17F80C48_zps40gndyuz.jpg

C0D1600B-5193-4B12-9AD9-CCF9329A14E2_zpsfl2dgkhe.jpg

Seal fitted

156C387A-1B4C-428F-83B5-75159FD00C89_zpscndr4iee.jpg

Replacement halfshaft went in, garage agreed to rebuild the handbrake on that side (the one job I lose my rag on, especially with the shoe retaining springs/clips) and could fit me in if I got Fiery there ASAP. I was rushing to finish up and managed to strip the threads on 2 wheel studs using a drill putting the wheel nuts back on.

Took the old halfshaft and the garage swapped over studs for me. Picked Fiery up today and took it for it's first proper run, blew a load of blue smoke for the first couple of miles but has cleared up. Did a good 50 mile run in it, no leaks or warning lights. I do have an odd rotational noise/vibration but will check the UJ's as a first port of call. Going to give it another run tomorrow from cold to make sure the blue smoke issue doesn't return.

So Sis got to drive Fiery finally and gave it some TLC this afternoon.

EEBBA1B2-2CDD-4872-A22A-8B80AF322CF5_zpsvdnvomtp.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh Trevor what's that poking out .....

I'm assuming you mean Lil Blue photo bombing the last piccy. Alas no MOT and I have no spare time for a couple of weeks before sorting bodywork out. Missing my daily drive :(

I did indeed Trev.

Caught my current daughter looking at the LCC calendar recently with a puzzled look on her face. She pointed and frowned. Yes, I said. Another Landcruiser I used to own. How nice you remember it. Oh no she said, I just remember how embarrassing it was bring my friends round.

Grrr, why I oughta,,,,,,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's great to see Fiery back on her feet and being cared for by her loving owner :icon-biggrin:

It seems like an eternity ago that you called me on the day that she blew to break the news to me :|

You should both be commended for your commitment towards keeping her on the road or maybe committed :think: It would have been so easy to have thrown in the towel and striped her for parts. I'd have to say that you are now probably a bigger part of that trucks history than myself!

Well done :clap:

So, will we be meeting sis and her truck at the next Lincomb?

A huge amount of work and tremendous commitment - very well done :thumbup:.

Bob.

Well done mate. Sorry I couldn't help more in the final stages.

Wouldn't worry about that Ed, you were there in the real tough stuff earlier when I needed help. Now Lil' Blue's bodywork on the other hand which needs doing ........ :)

Well erm... Yeah about that...

I might have to up my rates.

Ok ok, 2 custard tarts and I'll stop reusing the same Yorkshire Tea bag after lunch.

In readiness to sell Fiery, treated it to a new rear axle casing, oil seals and lower control arm bushes.

16E66BF5-852E-40F2-944B-743334745C6C_zps8hgpoyfq.jpg

DB8D1D17-695B-4CAE-A87F-33BAB9A5DF17_zpsszwh2ww9.jpg

0F38F04D-32B3-428A-80DE-34DEE0A1E1CD_zps6gftmmas.jpg

This will be a very tidy truck for the buyer, Trev.

What's it been up to since August 2014 (the last post) standing around or being used?

It's been a mixture of daily drive and has been parked up in between. One of the reasons I've been going through it front to back as it's not done much much mileage in that time. I changed the sump as well this week, so finish off the engine service and fluids next week before putting a new MOT on it. I'll be sorry to see this one go.

It's been a mixture of daily drive and has been parked up in between. One of the reasons I've been going through it front to back as it's not done much much mileage in that time. I changed the sump as well this week, so finish off the engine service and fluids next week before putting a new MOT on it. I'll be sorry to see this one go.

Yeah, it's become a bit of a celebrity on this forum, like li'l Blue did, too :lol:.

Always a bit of a wrench when the good ones go.

Good luck with the sale matey. :thumbup:

Last edited:
A definite character leaves the fold, one of the favourites, bye bye Fiery.

A definite character leaves the fold, one of the favourites, bye bye Fiery.

Well it might not be bye bye Chas, maybe a member will want it, and keep it in the 'family'.... :think:

Back