Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front axle removal advice needed.

Trevor

Country Flag
england
In order to get the sump off Lil' Blue I decided to attack from below rather than lifting the engine up. I've got as far as splitting the bottom ball joints, popping the driveshafts out of the front axle and dropped the front propshaft.

I've undone the axle bolts on the side of the carriers but have been thwarted by the 12mm allen socket bolt on the underside of the crossmember, it turns fine but the rubber bush above just keeps turning and I can't figure out how to remove the damn thing, there is no nut I can see at the top.

Anyone got any hints or tips for successful removal?

What does Toyodiy show Trev. I can't remember that far back. But I know the bolt you mean.

C

ToyoDIY shows the nut that goes up into the bush, another bolt to the side (that is just above the crossmember) but nothing else useful. I am thinking that there is probably a nut that the bush was moulded around and perhaps the bolt and nut have rusted or seized in situ and the whole lot is just turning the bush.

Either way I'm stuck, last resort might be to cut through with a reciprocating saw and then buy another fitting but hoping someone has had experience of removing the axle and found another way around the problem.

I have a huge amount of work to get through if it's going to be ready for Lincomb so really need to get past this problem pretty smart like.

Trev, give me directions to the page - what section is it in? Or just give me a part number and I'll get to it through search.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right, this is the wiggle pin for the back diff mounting. A sort of pivot thing. Have you got the whole diff out yet? Easier if I was there Trev, but that doesn't undo to get the diff out. It's sort of hooked on from memory. Bell me if you like. Clearly I am still up!!

Chris

Nice one Chris, can you PM the number again please?

Well, between a chat with Chris and Steve's photos we have the solution. The 12mm hex bolt on the underside of the crossmember is not how I release the axle. There are 2 bolts above this and either side (1 from below and one from above) that split the bush mount from the axle casing.

These will be buggers to undo as they are very tight for space but once done the axle will be glide easily out and down.

Thanks guys, you've saved my neighbours from at least an hour of tourettes.

Who needs the AA when you have the A Team, eh Trev.

Sorted.

C

Finally got the bugger off today. The bolt to drivers side (bolt at top "pointing" down) was removed by putting a 17mm spanner (open end) and the spanner pointing roughly forwards, then using a breaker bar pushed up into the engine bay I levered against the spanner. Shock force does not work here, it needed sustained levered force to get the bolt moving.

The other bolt on the passenger side and hidden just above the crossmember (bolt head at bottom "pointing" upwards), this needed me to go and buy a 17mm flexible head ratchet spanner. I had unbolted the axle from the side carriers and while my buddy tried to slip the ring spanner around the bolt head, I was on the floor at the front of the truck pushing the axle upwards with my feet to give enough space to get the spanner in (ok ok I could have used a jack).

The spanner faces the rear of the truck and again a levering action being done against the spanner with the breaker bar. The bolt would only move a couple of mm at a time due to the limited space the spanner was in and very little sideways movement available, so lever, reset spanner, lever again and so on. Finally it got going but as the bolt head moved downward we couldn't get the spanner off and as it was a ratchet head we couldn't tighten it back up again. This time the jack came out and I managed to move the axle just enough to get the spanner out, we then continued with the open end until the bolt was free.

I put a block of wood underneath the truck and after a bit of wiggling the axle dropped down. Phew I'm knackered now, time for a brew.

Yay. Well done. See I said it was a piece of p155.

arf.

C

Back