Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front axle seals

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
how hard/awkward is it to do them ... think mine need doing asap (sorry for massive pic :oops:

1048048_275409462598240_1028182030_o.jpg

Not hard or awkward Carl.... just messy.... very very messy. Get yourself plenty of paper towels and go for it :thumbup:

Wot he said with bells on Carl. But whilst you are in there, I'd also do felt seals, top and bottom swivel bearings You may as well do it end to end. If you have to go back in another day, you'll have to go past all the stuff you have done before. Start at the inner edge and work back out.
We can talk you though all that stuff, but much of it's already posted here and there.

Chris

My boy done one for me a couple of weeks ago including the inner axle seal in about one & a half hours. There's also a trick to do the wiper seals without stripping everything down, simply slit the seal at the top with a stanley knife & put some sealer on the join when fitting.

Cheers guys ... most helpful ....

just need to get the parts now then ..... i'm assuming not to get them from milners ??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just did mine. As others have said it really is not hard at all just messy. I'd second Chris and say if you're going in there you had may as well do the whole lot. I didn't and have now got to go back in as a few bits need replacing I didn't plan for.

I've been quite happy with the milner felt seal kit (http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota...hdj80-swivel-housing-wheel-bearing-seal-kit-0).

Its a genuine kit (or at least I think it is).... but they also chuck in two inner axle oil seals (rubber one's in bottom left of their picture). These two additions are not genuine and should be thrown as far as possible IMO.... Use only genuine inner axle oil seals! (90310-35010 - available from Jon Wildsmith I believe)

Hope this helps.

Yes i know but carl will need the wiper kit, haven't got part no for inner seal to hand though.

Also - check your steering arm studs are tight (p/n 43211A and associated nuts)/replace when you check your bearings (as Chris suggested above).

I had three fail in fatigue and fall out, if the last had failed that wheel would have been uncontrollable :shock:.

Edit: To be clear - You'll need to replace both i.e. Felt seals / inner axle oil seal.... The Milner kit includes all the seals, but as said above, their inner axle oil seal is garbage.

Last edited:
Might be worth downloading the FSM Carl, so you've got clear step by step instructions and all the torque settings.

To set all the bearing preloads properly you will need a spring scale. Also a 54mm socket. :icon-wink:

Like I said, if' you are going in there you might as well do it end to end. No point coming back later. The wiper seals from Milers if yoy buy them separately SHOULD be genuine Toyota. But if you buy the axle re build kit you get a load of stuff that isn't. So better to buy individual bits. The top and bottom bearings are usually KOYO but can at times be other makes but they are all Japanese. I might not put a copy bearing in a gearbox rebuild, but these things are spinning like Billy O. I can't imagine a bearing failing in a swivel frankly. You get your 80 properly dirty as nature intended. You could put genuine red and white packet bearings in there (actually Koyo anyway and they're going to last longer in all that mud are they?) Milner bearings are fine. As so may have said, don't mess with inner axle seals. Mr T all the way. You can clean up and reuse the hub bearings etc and to be fair. coming back to do them another day isn't so bad. Milner 54mm nuts are shite. They are stamped and don't fit a proper socket. As the usual box spanners are also pressed out, they do fit the Milner nuts. No shame in getting the cheap box spanner. It'll work. Milner gaskets are fine too. I've had loads. The rear hub seals are OK as well. They used to be rubbish, but seem to go in fine now. Look for wear in part 43211R / L The bronze bushes can wear where the stub sits in them. You can push them out and swap them 180 degrees if you like. I replaced mine with needle rollers and the shorter bush from the 100 series.

I don't think that's inner axle oil seal Carl, looks like the steering arm is about to fall off and leave you with no steering, unless I'm reading that picture wrong ...

I don't think that's inner axle oil seal Carl, looks like the steering arm is about to fall off and leave you with no steering, unless I'm reading that picture wrong ...

yup ... just seen what you mean Jon ... it does look like it ...

I will have a proper check in the morning. ...

Blimey Jon, you are right. I never really looked at the pick to be honest as it's so common a question. But the grease isn't coming from the seal, it's leaking out of the king pin. You can see the gap!!

Spanner time!

C

My boy done one for me a couple of weeks ago including the inner axle seal in about one & a half hours. There's also a trick to do the wiper seals without stripping everything down, simply slit the seal at the top with a stanley knife & put some sealer on the join when fitting.

This is the classic bodge job and not to be recommended.

Roger

More great tips for when I actually get around to doing mine. All the parts are just sitting there.

If I was at home I'd be running out to check my steering arm after seeing that!

Can anyone see what the problem is here ....

DSCN1515.jpg

I now consider myself quite a lucky chap

can't edit my post for some reason ..... ..

anyone got any spare they could send me?? or do I get from Mr T ??

Back