Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel ?

Smashing, I'll take a look when we get back from work
Definitely 100% not there, it's the only free space under there!
20200711_173252.jpg

Ok an update. I took the tank strainer out and it was perfectly clean.
This evening I changed the fuel filter and took it for a test drive.same problem occurs, but not all the time?????? It seems to happen at just before or around 3000 rpm, little stutter then off all the way to 4k. It might be me but it felt a little sluggish occasionally, but I've been wupping the nuts off my super fast van all day!
Could I have a dirty injector? Would it be worth running some injector cleaner through on the next fill up?
Bit flummoxed if I'm honest!

Injector cleaners added to the tank are very diluted and not likely to clear a partially blocked or malfunctioning injector IMO. Removing them and having them professionally cleaned and serviced/adjusted is the only way of knowing they're working 100%. You could try some of this as a first option though which is supposed to be one of the more effective products. You connect up the feed and return pipes to/from the IP to a container and run the engine purely on the cleaner with no fuel for maximum cleaning effect.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Steve, this may not be anything to do with your problem, but the other day I set off from the house to go back to Bucharest (110km) and after doing 3km the truck started misfiring.
I’ve never Had anything like this in the 15 years I’ve owned it.
it coughed and spluttered, then cleared, then spluttered down to a standstill. I opened thehood and could smell diesel, and there was a slow drip coming from the underside of the water sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter.
I fumbled with it in the dark, but couldn’t do anything on the roadside, so I tried to start it and away it went. It was good for 4/5 km then spluttered again. We limped home doing a steady 70 kph, it simply wouldn’t go faster and it slowed a lot on hills.
I called my service guys, and they suggested that the white plastic water sensor unit may be cracked, dripping fuel with the engine off and drawing air in with the engine running. Next day they swapped it for a good one, and the truck has been right as rain since.

Maybe worth a check...:think:

I had a look at that when I changed the fuel filter the other day, looks like it's been through the mill tbh, but looks ok.
I think you are on the right track though, air!
Chatting with Dave in Spain last night and I suddenly remember 'not' hearing the lift pump that has been fitted on the chassis, behind the r/h rear wheel.
When you turn the ignition on you could hear tick tick tick as it pumped away. Dave thought if this isn't working (usually fitted to push fuel up to main fuel pump and often to disguise another problem) then if there was a tiny hole or several holes in the fuel pipe we may well be sucking in air. Tiny little bubbles collecting in the fuel filter/pump and every so often the pump pushes through a large bubble of air hence the 'missfire' thing.
All I got to do now is find the fuse for the lift pump to see if that's blown if not find out what size pump it is. Julien confirmed it's a Walbro, but also said it has a filter on the bottom, which is another one to check.
We could be onto something here chaps!

Might not be of any relevance, but Simply Bearings or Polymax do a good range of O rings, seals etc. in the UK if needed.

Ok, so Walbro pusher pump has power (no idea where from) but doesn't work so i guess is knackered. Need to replace it. It's all covered in waxol so no identifying marks. I found some that will pump 55 gallons an hour...sounds about right for an 80 .

Give Julian a call, he fitted it and will have the spec's.

Looking back through my emails with Julian its a "Walbro FRB-5 Fuel Pump", according to the quote...

I had a fuel issue which I could not track down. 55mph and it just stuttered. Tried different fuel, filter, hose..... In the end I found the filter in the Walbro. Ahh haaa, does 90 mph now with ease. Absolutely clogged.

Did it still tic tic tic though....mine does nothing :(
Although it has power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it diddd, but it was a different tick. Maybe eventually it might have stopped altogether. So easy to empty, you might as well just do it and see.

I will do this very thing later this evening. It's just the bottom bit that unscrews and not the main body I guess?

Yes you undo the nut at the bottom and then the whole bottom bowl comes off. There's an O ring so be careful.

Ha ha ha!
I took it off, cleaned the filter, the 'o' ring disintegrated! I spent an hour looking for something that will do. In the end I decided to by - pass the pump with a steel tube....at this point the truck wont run, but the f in pump is now working ☹. But, as the 'o' ring is buggered, madam cant use it. I'm going to call in the local garage tomorrow to see if he has anything. She needs it Friday and Saturday. If not we will have to hire a bloody car! This is why I dont do home mechanics very often.

Back