Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Group Buy - TDS Goldfish winch - NOW CLOSED

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I know this is the wrong place, but most of us come look here relatively frequently :lol:

I'm about to place an order (I hope) for a TDS Goldfish winch. ANO on the forum is also likely to place an order, so I was thinking - if anyone else wants to buy one, nows the best time - let's see if we can get a decent price-break for volumes, and the prices are all going u p in January ...

Respond if you want one, with details:

9.5c or 12.0c 9or the bridge variants if you want)
Dyneema yes / no
Yellow safety hook yes / no

etc.

I'll feed back to the vendor to see the response ...

Cheers

EDIT -

• List to date:

Jon: 12.0c with Dyneema and Yellow safety hook + 2 lengths of rock guard (4021) and a TDS universal channel mounting kit (50021)

Gary: 12.0c with Dyneema and Yellow safety hook + 2 lengths of rock guard (4021), TDS Budget wireless remote

Warren: 12.0c with Dyneema and Yellow safety hook + 2 lengths of rock guard (4021)

Matt: 12.0c with Dyneema and Yellow safety hook + 2 lengths of rock guard (4021), TDS Budget wireless remote

Justin: Dyneema Bowrope (100' x 10mm) and Aluminium Hawse Fairlead, yellow safety hook and Rock Guard (4021)

Re: Group Buy - TDS Goldfish winch

I am interested, but have no idea what I need/want yet. At the risk of starting something here... I am willing to take some advice on this. I have managed to get hold of a Toyota steel bullbar for my 95 diesel, and will be towing a camper trailer around Oz - so what should I get?

I would be interested in 1.

Again not quite sure what to go for.....most likely I will be shipping the cruiser back home in about a month so would pack the winch up and send it along.

Any advice on the option to go for???

have a look at goodwinch.co.uk and then have a think. The 2 main options, the 9.5c and the 12.0c are the same size - the gearing is different and the drum capacity / rope thickness is different. For both vehicles a 9.5 would work - ut if you need to recover a fully-laden 100 from deep sand on an overlanding trip, for example, you may want to go with the 12.0c - there's not a lot in it price-wise either - about £50 - £60 max.

There's been a LOT of discussion about this elsewhere and the 'tests' at Lincomb showed the 9.5c to be more than capable.

Chris / Jon and a bunch of others have some extensive 'Real World' experience with these winches, so looking forward to their comments :lol:

As I said to Gary in an email, I wouldn't be disappointed or worried if I had a 9.5 on mine following our testing and it will do its thing a bit faster than a 12.0 but given a choice then by a small margin I'm having another 12.0 for the back of mine because I prefer to have the mechanical advantage than not.

I don't have access to my winch bumper to check (it is in Oz waiting for me) - how do I know if I should get a low profile or bridge version? What have others fitted to their Colorados?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I think that everyone has a 'standard' winch config - with the solenoid and other gubbins at the end vs in a bridge. If it lived under - behind the bumper i don't think you want the bridge version is the way I understand it. all the pics of the bridge one seem to hav most of the winch exposed.

Also think those are slightly more expensive?

Gary Stockton said:
Respond if you want one, with details:

9.5c or 12.0c 9or the bridge variants if you want)
Dyneema yes / no
Yellow safety hook yes / no
12.0c with Dyneema and Yellow safety hook + 2 lengths of rock guard (4021) and a TDS universal channel mounting kit (50021)

I had a look at the pc,

Most likely I would go for the 12.0c but it would depend on the discount that we would be able to get under the group discount.

I have had no commitment yet other than 'yes I will look after you' - depends on how many orders I guess ...

Interested but clueless! ... I need to change the bumper too right?... :oops:

I'll go have a look at prices and stuff. Could be a problem cos I need 5 new tyres too (thread).

Ok - had a look... I've clearly got far too much to learn before I do anything impulsive!
Sorry, tried to delete the post but it wouldn't let me. Ignore me... I'm not here :whistle:

No you don't 'have' to change out the bumper - there are hidden winch mounts you can get to host the winch - ASFIR make one, and I'm sure there must be others out there?

I would be interested in a 12 but will come back to you ASAP with spec. I need to find out rough cost prior to discount and also if it would fit in either the ARB bar or the new TJM or Ironman front bumper.

Will do my best to investigate this afternoon so long as the boss does not return i should have all the time i need to investigate.

Both will fit in the ARB and TJM bumpers (Jon has one in his TJM) and I'd expect the Ironman is no different. Current cost for the 12.0c is £544 + VAT - for that you get the winch, Dyneema rope, fairlead, yellow safety hook and cables.

is it worth upgrading the 12TDS series winch with 100' x 10mm Dyneema Bowrope and Aluminium Hawse Fairlead for £125 and if you do upgrade do you get to keep the steel cable the winch comes with?

Reason i ask is that when the car is back in SA i would use the winch on the farm for moving rocks and felled trees and would rather bugger up a steel cable rather than the rope.

Simple answer is yes, but longer answer is, you shouldn't be buggering up the rope at all. Certainly by putting the cable around anything like a rock. Slings are for slinging and ropes are for pulling. Get a decent choke chain and shackles. Plan the pull and you should be fine. You get to keep the steel rope anyway. They have so many that they don't know what to do with them all.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Last question I hope. What is Yellow safety hook for...ie is it better in certain conditions?

I think the yellow hook is just bigger than the red one...

I'm also interested in just the Dyneema Bowrope (100' x 10mm) and Aluminium Hawse Fairlead... if that's possible...

(I want to change the steel rope on my PTO winch....)

Back