Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HD-FT intercooler

What made you remove it KriPa?

First of all because it was installed ages ago and the iron tubing is all rusty now, and at this time I do not have the time to repaint these.

Second reason is for reliability the return hose from the intercooler to the inlet lies on/after the radiator and touches the insulation of the hood. Sooner or later that hose will have a hole in it due to the rubbing.
And also the bottom hoses are situated very low and vulnerable under the front bumper. (left and right of the radiator) (like the dryver of the AC on a 24V)

A last reason is that I am not convinced that in heavy sand dune work there is much benefit because speed is low and temperature is high.

The plan is to drive without it and if I notice much difference I might install it back.

KriPa

I don't know if it is a valid concern or not but I would be worried about adding a front mount because it would be yet another radiator in front of the water one. For some people there would be a gearbox cooler, inter cooler, air con condenser and then finally the main radiator. In warm ambient temps and under load, I would imagine the air reaching the radiator would be pretty hot.

I have no evidence to back this up, it is just a concern I would have.

I don't know if it is a valid concern or not but I would be worried about adding a front mount because it would be yet another radiator in front of the water one. For some people there would be a gearbox cooler, inter cooler, air con condenser and then finally the main radiator. In warm ambient temps and under load, I would imagine the air reaching the radiator would be pretty hot.

I have no evidence to back this up, it is just a concern I would have.

Ian, a peek under the bonnet of any modern Ag machine would reveal .....
First the AC condenser....
Then the Intercooler ....
Next probably one or two Trans oil coolers ,
Then stuffed in somewhere a fuel cooler.....
And lastly the radiator .
The cooling pack can be 60cm plus in depth and often partially blocked because the driver never cleans it.... yet over heating is not a common problem.
If i was front mounting an intercooler I would make sure they were all mounted closely together with a rubber flap on either side to ensure the air was pulled through all the rads and not from the sides.....mount in the same order as above .
Certainly for most UK and European use I wouldn't be worried about the increase in ambient air temp from the intercooler ..........I think a standard FT HD is probably over cooled for the UK .......I ran around all last summer with the radiator blind down cause I forgot it with no increase in temp despite some hard use and towing

The ag machine has been designed to have an intercooler from the outset so the main rad is sized accordingly. I guess the ag machine is also designed for the airflow at less than 20mph.

On an 80 the rad will be last and the AC 2nd last in the airflow unless a major redesign is undertaken. While I agree the cooling is fine in the UK, it can be marginal elsewhere - especially an auto where the box is working hard. I'm thinking sand and long climbs where it is not getting the chance to lock the TC. This is why a lot of people fit an additional cooler for the gearbox as well as upgraded valve bodies and manual lock up switches. A manual 80 is much less likely to suffer in my opinion.

I've certainly overheated an auto 80 and I know several others have to.

Last edited:
Ian , your right in that a slipping or worn torque converter can cause even a big Loading Shovel to over heat the cooling system as many use water cooled Trans coolers and Hyd coolers .......it's one of the difficult to diagnose faults , is it the engine or the trans that's boiling the water ? can be fun to prove although telemetry now can help
I would separate the trans cooling from the rad and go for a large capacity trans cooler with thermostatic fans even increase the capacity of the trans by fitting a remote additional trans reservoir that can work as a heat sink if you are cooking the trans oil .
Any one fitted a later post face lift 100 series auto box in an 80 ? even easier if you do both engine and box ;-)

Back