Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HD-FT overland build - Brenda the devastator

I honestly have no idea Andy. It looks like they should have a sealed cover over the centre if i knew id try and find some replacements.

If anyone can identify them it'd be helpful.

BRENDA THE DEVASTATOR, how appropriately named eh, Chris :laughing-rolling: .

To Explain, it was my son who had naming rights and named it "The devastator" after his favourite transformer. Realising i would have the car for a very long time and my daughter wouldnt get a chance to name my car while she was young, I let her choose the prenom, Hence Brenda .... It could have been worse i suppose

HW, I was about to comment on your fantastic looking 80. I was reading away from the first post thinking to myself, "I love that colour" but then I seemed to lose that train of thought between bursts of laughter at the comments and threats from you know who.
But damn it, who cares. That is a really nice blue, even if it is due to cellophane wrapping. Leave it on.
I like my red one, but I can't ever recall seeing a blue like that over here. Our Oz version of blue was almost grey.
Nice.
Cheers

I saw a clip on you tube of a bright blue one somewhere in eastern Europe. That is a really great colour imo, but cheers Chris. Love the spec on the signature of your 80. I bet that shifts both on and off the black stuff.
You've got so many cruisers and troopies there and great aftermarket companies in Oz (I live in New Zealand most of the year) I just pack hand luggage and bring parts back to England on every trip. This next trip will be a 3" exhaust and some grooved discs. (just like Chris has on the Grey ghost)
Roll on next month it's the start of the audio/electronic mods.

ADMIN WARNING

Chris is no longer following this thread. He is hiding at the bottom of the garden rocking back and forth, crying like a girl clutching a fuel can and a box of matches ....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:laughing-rolling:

Thanks HW....

I'll come back to you later...

I've missed this thread having been burning the midnight too much at work for the last 2 weeks.

A fine example of Mr T's finest, and in that colour too! You are blessed HW!

Chris will come round in a week or two, leave him to his rocking and sobbing. :lol:

Thanks Rarf, She is a beauty. Havent driven her for a month and i'm suffering withdrawal symptoms

I've missed this thread having been burning the midnight too much at work for the last 2 weeks.

A fine example of Mr T's finest, and in that colour too! You are blessed HW!

Chris will come round in a week or two, leave him to his rocking and sobbing. :lol:

I hope he isn't down in the dumps for too long ...The Grey Ghost is a great machine i'd be chuffed

Elastic trickery

Well after three visits by the alarm installer, Brenda has an all singing all Dancing security system. Alarm, immobiliser and GPS tracking.
The alarm guy said "you'll never get your money back and if I'd have known how long it would take I wouldn't have took the job".
Now I can Install all the multimedia and audio gear.
4 Polk marine speakers powered by and amp, an active subwoofer. Will eventually enhance the front coaxials by adding component tweeters into that little triangle of plastic where the door mirror is mounted
Double din touchscreen GPS with reverse camera and tyre pressure monitor.
A lightbar and two spots on the roof rack.
I also pay my first homage to the Grey Ghost with a similar switch set up in the centre console replacing the coin holders. Also a twin USB that allows my hard drive to feed movies and music into the head unit and eventually destined for the rear headrest monitors.
This part of the build is going to be dead slow due to work and children needing entertainment during the summer break

Attachments

• IMG-20150727-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20150727-WA0005.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG-20150801-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20150801-WA0000.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 218
My alarm installer said the same! He had a nightmare with the central locking control

My alarm installer said the same! He had a nightmare with the central locking control

Yep that was exactly what the problem was with Brenda. It didnt help that i've had two systems installed (Two is one and one is none, as i always say)

Most of the alarm installers now prefer to make the quick no hassle cash of fitting parrot bluetooth and reversing alarms.

It'd be good to find the answer
I messed with it for a day too
I could lock and arm and also unlock but it wouldn't disarm or something like that
I have a Waeco CL system to fit and I've given up

I could lock and arm and also unlock but it wouldn't disarm or something like that

Similar problem as mine had , he said it would unlock (but not lock) and would arm but not disarm ???!!!
If i see what he has done in the drivers master switch ill send you a picture if it helps.
I headed this section as "elastic trickery" for good reason, Im a complete numpty when it comes to electrics.
Ill be pestering you for an idiots guide to the charger setup behind your rear seats before too long.

Theres always this

Attachments

• electric fence.jpg
    electric fence.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 205
Finally I manage to get back to Blighty and work on Brenda.
First thing to change was the horrible blingy chrome bullbar and front bumper, I managed to pickup an alloy front bumper on eBay that I believe are on Toyota imports. This has just been radiator roller painted Matt black for now. Next step is countersunk square led lights on laser cut spacers that make them point forward and some bar work and a winch.
Also took delivery of a custom made chequer plate roof box, this will eventually have a solar panel mounted to it, for now though it's a great place to store the tent awning and accessories.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good HW. Especially like the way you've done the three light bars in the roof rack apertures. Nice touch.

Back