Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help for converted landrover man!

Vizsla

Evening all first I'd like to say hello to everyone and say what a great forum this is, ok iv hilux surf a long time ago which was great but iv mainly owned pre electronic landrovers, iv still got a 300tdi disco that gets put to work but now I'm looking for a safe reliable 4x4 but needs to be capable in the rough stuff, landrover don't seem to be cutting it with there newer vehicals and seem to end up with electrical problems, iv always fancied a landcruiser so iv decided I think a Colorado is the one for me but I no little about them so would really love some help, I'm thinking LWB and I'm drawn to the d4d but is there any thing wrong with the previous TD, I'm not a fan of fancy things that go wrong so which is simple yet reliable? Also I'd like a Manual but which is better manual or auto? Also what should I look out for problem wise?
I'm sorry to be a new guy asking 20 questions as I no it's annoying so again sorry but would love the help and hopefully I can return the favour.
many thanks viz

Welcome Viz, and happy new year. Where abouts are you? I knoe little about Collies but do fancy one myself to try. There are others on the forum with a vast amount of experience who will be along to join this thread soon as new year is over.

Andy

I have been a Defender owner for year's and just brought my 1st 95 from a member on here, and not far from you in North Leicestershire welcome to the club

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here in Derbysheer too. The Colorado is a very comfortable and capable vehicle. The D4D engine is a pretty significant enhancement from the 1 KZ-TE to be fair. But there is nothing wrong with that power plant. Enough torque to pull planets out of their orbits. Never driven an auto D4D but the manual is very good indeed. Once moving, changing gear is a rare requirement so pretty much like driving an auto. Nothing between them.

Remember that which ever model, these aren't new cars. But all of the colorado / prado series are very very reliable. Things like electrics are almost bomb proof. I just bought an old 80 series and I am shocked that a couple of the switches don't light up at night. I know, nearly 20 years old and the bulbs have gone. I suppose I shall have to put some new ones in once I recover from the trauma.

I had been looking for a 95 for a while tbh I looked at some right sheds on garage forecourts, then the one came up here for sale with most of the mods done already and all done with quality bits. It was also great to read though Andy's posts I got a real feel for it by doing that, so far I'm all happy

The only downside I can think of is the problem with the radiator cooling both engine and Auto box - the rads can corrode and mix engine coolant with ATF fluid - however, new rad every 8 years or so cures that! As does fitting a dedicated ATF oil cooler....... Not had any issues with mine in 12m of owning her, 3 trips back and forth to UK, trundling around the country roads here and the occasional track ;)
Steve

Last edited:
I just bought an old 80 series and I am shocked that a couple of the switches don't light up at night.

Your switches Light Up!!! :icon-surprised: How cool!

Last edited:
Wow thanks for some great advise il certainly be keeping an eye out on here for one, how much is a fair price for a decent LWB TD or d4d I was thinking Bout 5k

Also what About mileage many seem to be close to 200k should I be looking for something with less?
how does the prado and Colorado compare. Thanks again

The Prado is a Jap import with no rear locker in most case's not to sure about anything else other than less rusty often
Does your name come from the dog just interested

Oh thanks would be a compromise to not have the diff lock, yes it does mate iv got a vizsla and a working cocker chap

Oh thanks would be a compromise to not have the diff lock, yes it does mate iv got a vizsla and a working cocker chap
I had a Wirehaired he died a couple off years ago best dog I have ever had still miss him loads

You shouldn't need to spend 5k.4k would do it I think. Welcome

I paid top money for a 2000 UK car last year but only 77k miles on. This has got to last us well into retirement though!
Steve
Edit, year before last!

Last edited:
Welcome, I own a 2000 plate vx colorado and a d2 disco, and the landcruiser is better in every way and will go every where the disco will go, plus I know that my toyota will start every time. I'm going to sell my disco and probley never buy another LR again.

Jbecks, interesting, I've just come to LC from 3 d2's as well! Did like them, and there's a great forum, but....

Back