Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi Ladies & Gents

NMR

Hi Guys.

I’m Nick

Need some advice/opinions as i am after a Land Cruiser. I have done some research and found out about all the different sorts but still unsure as to which would be best suited to me.

I work all over Europe as an Adventurous Training instructor so i spend winters in the Alps, summers in Bavarian mountains/Scottish Highlands/South of France or Italy Diving etc. So as you can see i need a fairly versatile vehicle equipped for adventures. i carry mountaineering gear, diving stuff, ski’s you name it. And i do LOTS of miles around Europe. I currently have a big Volvo which is great at carrying gear and eats up the miles, but it get stuck in snow, it gets hammered, stuck and broken on mountain tracks and is now falling to pieces... and i feel sorry for it!

Hence a Land Cruiser.

It needs to be able to carry me and all of that kit.
It needs to be reliable as i’m not a mechanic.
I don’t own shares in a Petroleum company so economy would be nice.
Must be tough as the tracks i drive sometimes are ROUGH.
Needs to be able to handle deep snow.
Must be nice to drive on Autoroutes as i spend hours on them.

I’m erring towards a 90 series, which if i’m not mistaken is a Colorado here in UK, they appear to be a bargain at the moment and as far as i can gather are big, tough, good off road, not too expensive to run etc.

I see some note just a 3 litre TD and some the D4D, not sure on the differences on that?

However i am open to opinions on all series. A suitable vehicle or not?

Rgds

Nick

Hi Nick

Firstly welcome to the forum.
Secondly, i want your job.
and thirdly..

Yes a 90 Series will be fine. In fact it wouldn't even break out in a sweat. Difference between 3.0TD and the D4D? Well if you can afford one i'd go for the D4D as it's more powerful, more economical and quieter. Not that there's anything wrong with the 3.0TD (I have both!).

The experts will be along shortly i'm sure to guide you but anyway, welcome.

Hi and welcome aboard. Sounds like an excellent job you have there :thumbup:

I also would have said a 90 suits your needs. Definitely the D4D would be the one to go for IMO but as Tommo says the 3.0TD is a good alternative.

Welcome Nick

As Tommo says it sounds like you need a 90 or if you can stretch to it a 120. The late 90s came with the D4D and the 120s have it as standard.
Another option for Europe and the UK would be the petrol converted to LPG as LPG is readily available, especially over the water.
Downfall of that would be an underslung tank (to keep the boot free). Depends on just how rough the roads you drive on are.
I imagine that if a Vulva can do the roads you need to go on then that would be the equivalent of mild green lanes which would make an LPG tank suitable.

Which ever way you go in the end, the Cruisers are great reliable motors as long as you give them a little TLC.

Good luck

Thanks for the quick response guys.

My budget is around 8k so i think that puts a lot of the new 120 series out of my reach.

Talking to a buddy of mine who's into his Land Rover's (yes i know they're not quite the same!) he was saying i should go for the older kind because they have less electrics in them which tend to go wrong. and i should go for ones without the independent setup on the front because it tends to break? Where does the 90series stand in this respect?

Ecky i have had to abandon the vulva (LOL) more times than i care to remember at the bottom of tracks that it just wont do. Simply not enough clearance.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The IFS does give less travel than a live axle but both the 120 and the 90 have IFS.
Tommo abuses his 90 almost as much as I do in my 80 and it is more than capable.
The 120 with all the electric gizmos can put both the 80 and 90 to shame as it just walks over ground that I have to go at full throttle.
Don't let your mate sway you too much. Have a test drive with IFS before you write it off.

The 120 guys will be along soon but I don't remember them having too many issues with the extra electrics.

Okay then!

two futher questions

1 what is considered high mileage
2 is an 80 more suitable?

A difficult question mate!

We get queries like this a lot, and after much reflection my own personal opinion is that any truck that says Toyota Land Cruiser on the back will be more than up to the job!

Given the circumstances you have described i would say that the use you will put it to is very light and well within the capabilities of any of them. A lot of us on here, myself included, put our trucks to much heavier use than that!

I've not heard of anyone breaking their IFS or having any ECU problems from here.

I was going to let the 90 lads speak but as paul said 80s for me.

More fuel mind you.

Hardly any electrics

When we were lanning the other week a lad lost his keys. We got the truck running and he finished the lanes with us then drove 150 miles home. Couldnt do that with any electric fuel pumps.

Milage with 80s in my opinion does matter.We have seen engines go with less than 100,000 on them and ive had a engine in bits with 225,000 on it and everything was still like new.

8000 would buy you the top end of the market 80.

But i personally dont think you have to pay top money for a good truck. Ive just sold a very clean import for 3100 with 200k on it. Good truck.

Good look with the search

karl

If you like driving the volvo. Then do the following math before you decide towards SWB or LWB.

Dig out you vehicle specs and divide the wheelbase by the mean track width.

Compare this value with the values you get from various Cruisers.
The smaller the end result the more nervous the vehicle.

The IFS is pretty though as long as you don't overload the suspension with too large a tyre.
Don't know if the volvo had lots of 3 letter words. ABS, ESP, BAS, etc. etc.
But if your use to it, then don't go for a cruiser without. It's like going back to horse and cart. And on snow the electronics act out long before the average driver even knew one or more wheels were without traction.

NMR said:
Okay then!

two futher questions

1 what is considered high mileage
No such thing for a cruiser if it is well looked after. Regular oil changes and filters etc can see a cruiser going astronomical as regards mileage. There are certain things to look out for like the radiator on a 3.0l 90 after around 100k or the big ends on a 80 after 120k.
2 is an 80 more suitable?
I would be too biased on this one so wont comment other than to say, do you really need an 80 for what you plan to do with it :?:

What about an 80 with IFS........... the 100.

Seriously though, i love the 80 and it will do everything you said but if you are doing the road miles then a 90 or larger 100 as the IFS also gives you nicer steering. Any plans on sleeping in the back?

I wouldn't worry about electrics on cruisers, if you are within Europe then you should have breakdown cover anyway.

So are the 80 and the 100 considered superior to the 90 then? Is the 90 a bit of a softroader?

I really don't want a softroader!

My volvo is an old nail and i'll be scrapping it, so i'm not used to ABS or anything.

Whoa, you better duck with comments like that ;)

Don't worry, that argument is as old as the cruisers themselves. ;)

The sensible answer would be the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Nissan Pantsfinder etc are all soft roaders.
Not one of the Cruisers could be considered as such.
A 70 series would also be an option for you if you want basic, nothing to go wrong, reliability.

If your going to do loooong miles then you would be thankful of IFS so either a 90 or 100. Fuel economy is better on the 90 and they are a dream to drive under all sorts of conditions.

I can say that without prejudice as I own an 80 :thumbup: I also have a Hilux MK4 and I've just got rid of a surf with IFS and can honestly say that its a far superior a ride comfort than a solid axled truck.

Oh dear I can see an angry crowd with tar and feathers coming my way :?

Back