Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi Ladies & Gents

Wow!

I've lost the wood in all the trees!

Comfort on the road is important, sometimes i go from Glen Coe to Southern Italy in one epic 3 day drive!

I suppose the question is, is there anything an 80 and a 100 can do with there solid axels that the 70 and 90 can't do with there Independent ones and is it likely to be relevent to moi?

I can do Aberdeen to Budapest in 3 days in my Hilux no problems and get out reasonably straight. I can suffer a bit in the LC doing Aberdeen to London. It does have non standard suspension though so probably a bit softer with standard or an Old Man Emu setup.

Did he say soft roader :shock: :twisted: :D ;)

PB130030.jpg

PB130039.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9387

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9211

To be fair with a budget of £8k & the proposed milage you do the only real option is a 90/95 series (SWB/LWB) & £8k should buy you a very nice spec D4D VX :) Remember to hold back £5/600 for a nice set of 265/75 all terrain boots & the jobs a good'un :thumbup: :D £8k will not get you a descent 100 series & the 80 series are now starting to get a bit old & are really the preserve of the enthusiast :) Get a money no object well maintained 80 & you will have a truck that will spin the world below you :) But you may spend the rest of your life tracking it down & when you find one you'll be a the back of very hungrey que of drooling enthusiasts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why did Toy make their newer vehicles with IFS. Because it gives you a nicer ride.

It all has to do with unsprung weight. A wheel when it goes over a bump acts like a hammer hitting the suspension. Anything attached to the wheel that moves upwards with the bump adds unsprung weight, adds to the weight of the hammer so to speek.

So designers invented a suspension which minimizes unsprung weight and called it IFS. It has been around for a long time and is used on a lot of vehicles off and onroad. And gives you the nicest ride for a given vehicle weight.

The only problem with IFS is that their are more bushings to fail, so overland enthousiasts don't recommend it. And lifting a vehicle requires more knowhow and more parts so offroad enthousiasts don't recommend it.

My go anywhere, go through anything, fast as a hare Polaris 4x4 ATV has IFS and IRS and my backside loves it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
NMR said:
Wow!

I've lost the wood in all the trees!

Comfort on the road is important, sometimes i go from Glen Coe to Southern Italy in one epic 3 day drive!

I suppose the question is, is there anything an 80 and a 100 can do with there solid axels that the 70 and 90 can't do with there Independent ones and is it likely to be relevent to moi?
Mmmmmm......there is some confusion developing here :think: :lol: The 90 & 100 have IFS & the 70 & 80 have solid front axle :thumbup: Not wanting to confuse further as it's out of your price range & not sold in the UK but there is a 100 series that was sold with a solid front axle called the 105 :drool: :drool: :drool: :lol: ;)

sae70 said:
To be fair with a budget of £8k & the proposed milage you do the only real option is a 90/95 series (SWB/LWB) & £8k should buy you a very nice spec D4D VX :) Remember to hold back £5/600 for a nice set of 265/75 all terrain boots & the jobs a good'un :thumbup: :D £8k will not get you a descent 100 series & the 80 series are now starting to get a bit old & are really the preserve of the enthusiast :) Get a money no object well maintained 80 & you will have a truck that will spin the world below you :) But you may spend the rest of your life tracking it down & when you find one you'll be a the back of very hungrey que of drooling enthusiasts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent summing up :clap:

Did i just called and old enthusiast? ;)

Paul said:
Did i just called and old enthusiast? ;)
Noop :? Never mentioned old :!: 'Drooling' :) Do you drool :drool: :?: :lol: ;) Drooling may be a sign of age :think: or more likely the sign of an anorake :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) Are you an anorake :?: :D ;) :whistle:

But i can spell anorak though. ;)

Jealousy eh, it's a cruel mistress.

Paul said:
But i can spell anorak though
:doh: :oops: Ah :think: Thats how we spell anorake in Essex :liar: Do you spell it another way out there on the coast then :?: :whistle:

chriscolleman said:
Why did Toy make their newer vehicles with IFS. Because it gives you a nicer ride.

It all has to do with unsprung weight. A wheel when it goes over a bump acts like a hammer hitting the suspension. Anything attached to the wheel that moves upwards with the bump adds unsprung weight, adds to the weight of the hammer so to speek.

So designers invented a suspension which minimizes unsprung weight and called it IFS. It has been around for a long time and is used on a lot of vehicles off and onroad. And gives you the nicest ride for a given vehicle weight.

The only problem with IFS is that their are more bushings to fail, so overland enthousiasts don't recommend it. And lifting a vehicle requires more knowhow and more parts so offroad enthousiasts don't recommend it.

My go anywhere, go through anything, fast as a hare Polaris 4x4 ATV has IFS and IRS and my backside loves it!
:clap: :clap: :clap: All very true :D

And lets not forget that we are all seeking ground clearence something that with a solid axle is only achievable with larger tyres, portal axles a diff shave or a combination of all of the above :) But with IFS Just a simple suspension lift not only allows for larger tyres but also significantly adds to the ground clearence :dance:

sae70 said:
What have I gained :?: Well ground clearence & traction hopefully :D

The minimum ground clearence Fiery had before the Ironman suspension lift & the tyres was 240mm both front & rear. She now she has 270mm @ the rear (bottom of diff to ground) but @ the front she has gained 75mm to 315mm below the lowest point of the OE skid plate (maybe there is a plus side to IFS after all)

Back