Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High pitched whine

I did try an find out what the bush inner diameter should be but could not find any info on it. They looked OK to me last time I had a look in there, any way to check for sure?

If there are no specs in the FSM then I could only suggest getting the dimensions of a new one, say from someone paying Milner a visit ;) As yours is quite high miles it might be worth pricing up swapping to the newer type bush with the needle roller bearings anyway. Won't help much if the groove in the shaft is too deep though.

Do we know anyone who lives near Milner? :roll:

Don't you need a shaft measurement too and the overall tolerance? Milner don't stock the full bush, just the new trimmed out part which is cool, but I don't think they stock the roller bearing. Perhaps worth mailing Carl.

Which I have just done for you.

Chris

Looks like I will need to strip it all and get my callipers out before I order anything. AFAIK there is a tiny grove on at least one of the half shafts. The CVs are still quite new so I doubt that there is much wear on the output shafts but the stub axle bushes could easily be shagged, I remember there being some movement in the CV shafts when the drive flange is removed. My neighbours will hate me for leaving the 80 on axles on the shared for a couple of weeks...

I assume that if you were to repair a shaft you would use a shaft sleeve like http://www.skfmarcomms.co.uk/focus/imag ... Sleeve.pdf

You could use metal spraying to build it back up and then have it machined. But I have to ask how much that would be against a new shaft. Mind you, you could have a harder surface sprayed on there. Then the bush would wear out instead.

Chris

Had a reply back from Carl at Milner. They DO stock the needle roller bearings. He didn't know that until I asked. They are in stock and are £30 each plus VAT

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Only just figured out why I wrote Chris in green...

Anyway, it has taken me over a year to investigate this as I generally don't use the LC but seeing as the Volvo is off the road until I sort the engine out I have been using the LC as a daily drive and the niggles are getting to me. The green sludge (or diff oil) was still in the front axle when I rebuilt the axle and flushed it out since my last post in this thread last year. Forgot to check the condition of the oil today but I would not be surprised if the oil was green again as the flush did not seem to help much, so front axle strip down again and this time with upgraded stub axle bushes.

Today I took each prop off in turn and took it for a drive and with the front prop off the noise has gone completely. I did detect some play in the diff pinion with the prop on but there is very little play in the diff with the prop off :? Looks like it is the front diff causing the whine and with Morocco trip coming up I would prefer to rebuild it rather than to just tighten the pinion up, especially if the front axle has been using green sludge as lubrication for the last 30k miles.

Back