Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Imported insurance

Aeroelastic

Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

Who do you go with for imported cruisers insurance? Still the usual Comparethexx type search?

Tha.

Start with your Insurance company that you use, and see what they come up with, There are so many Imported vehicles in the UK, I would have thought it makes No odds.... But im not an expert in this Field.... Im sure others with imported Trucks will help... If its on UK plates... Say 'Nowt'

Start with your Insurance company that you use, and see what they come up with, There are so many Imported vehicles in the UK, I would have thought it makes No odds.... But im not an expert in this Field.... Im sure others with imported Trucks will help... If its on UK plates... Say 'Nowt'

Cheers, my current one is a bit annoying, because this is my weekend car so I only declared 3000miles a year, and they texted and emailed me every few month to ask for a photo of my odeometer reading to proof I am not over my mileage, saying that if I don’t send a photo within few days the premium will increase. Not that I drives the car a lot, more like with work and family you forget this sort of trivial things and the next thing you know is insurance premium has changed.

Wow! that sounds a bit extreme... Iv never known an Insurance company do that.

I used to use Adrian Flux years ago when I was on the dark side (Landrover 110). The limited mileage insurance with them used to be that you had to take a photo and send it to them at the beginning of the policy - but that was it. Obviously if you were to go way over and have a need to claim then you most probably wouldn’t be covered, but was never an issue as long as the estimate at the beginning was realistic and not just low to try to get a cheap policy.
Not sure what they are like now, but was always a good price for anything that was “out of the norm” for the standard comparethe*** companies.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm going to give Flux a big thumbs up because i lost about 8 years no claims bonus this year and when they phoned up i said yes 100% my fault .

Then my policy expired for about 6 weeks before i phoned for the grim news only to be told same cover a couple of quid cheaper than last year :icon-eek:

This obviously put me in a good mood so we got chatting and i reduced my annual mileage to 5000 which saved me another 100 odd quid :icon-biggrin:

Perhaps it was because i was upfront and honest "my fault" and when they asked if my truck was damaged i said don't be daft its a Landcruiser and only the tyre touched the VW which are made of custard .

They do imports and modified and anything which is difficult to fit in the compare tick boxes , and i'm very sure I could not have found a cheaper quote even for an unmodified 80 .

It might be helpful to mention this club whilst on the phone to them :thumbup:

I had no problem adding my imported cruiser to my existing policy (Admiral), they didn't think it was a big deal. Might have been trickier with a LHD.

Cheers all, for the information.

Spoke to a couple of them Adrian Flux included. Their price is good but not the best. Apparently the price is quite different if I cover mine under ‘classic’ insurance instead of a normal one (with NO Claim Bonus Etc). About 35% cheaper with classic, but Not 100% sure about their exact difference to be honest.

It seems like Japanese imports fetch higher price compared to others, even though my Imported Prado is considered a Parallel Import, which means there is an equivalent UK spec. car (the Colorado), but there is no specific box for the insurance company to tick for this, so not much help. The next level up is Grey Import, which are ‘exotic’ or rare models that we don’t have in the UK. Not sure which category they’ve quoted my Prado in though.

Apologies for the thread jack but i'm not sure i shared this so -

The mrs did exactly the same , rubbed the tyre down the side of a neighbours car who turned out to be of all things an insurance senior claims assessor :scared-eek:

Knocked the door and her husband says nah we've seen you working on your trucks and we have no doubt you can fix it up so no need for insurance to get involved .

Strange world huh .

I never had a problem with my 78 insured through Swinton for 15 years, (have the 120 there now)
Self employed, carrying tools and equipment, it was as cheap/cheaper to insure than the wifes Civic. Premiums rarely went up, on occasions went down, just had the normal haggling if they went up, which then promptly came down. Was easy to insure from the moment I bought from importer.

Can fully recommended NFU Direct. Not the cheapest but great service in all respects and imported trucks no problem. Worth the slight price increase for an excellent and personal service. Not on comparison sites

Back