Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inner tie rods replacement

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
So my inner tie rods have developed some play over there 190k miles life and it's time to change them out.

What have people replaced them with, milner, roughtrax or toyota? With such a vital part I'd like good quality stuff!

There's plenty of option over here in the states but I have no idea how good they are. My dads in the UK at the moment so is able of bringing some back with him if I chose to buy from a UK supplier.

Thanks in advance!

Mine were already fitted to the new rack i got from Roughtrax . I like the way they tell you if parts are genuine Toyota or if not the source of alternative parts , a reputation built on using reputable suppliers can't be a bad thing .

Did the DS on mine earlier this year, theres a thread somewhere

Thanks guys, going to take a look into some US brands before making a decision.

Have a look at total chaos they sell front end suspension to fit the collie so you might get lucky 4runner or pre -runner something like that a US Surf i guess .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah, there's loads available that will work for the 4runner 3rd gen and also the Tacoma's. The equivelent of 60 pounds will get you all this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-04-TOYOT...ash=item3a94c6b3a6:g:LXoAAOSwQItT2WcH&vxp=mtr

I'm also going to do the Lower Ball joint whilst I'm at it after reading all the scary threads about. I think I've been lucky considering the millage I've done with the truck.

I've discovered that the Tacoma trucks use a slightly bigger LBJ that will work on our 90 series trucks, once you use the beefier tie rod end with it as well. Apparently less common failures, compared with the 90 series, hilux surfs and 4runners. Stronger components I guess as it's made for a pickup truck.

Now I need to find good prices for these OEM parts. Don't think it's worth going aftermarket for the LBJ. I've read some threads of some failing after 8000 miles or so, not good.

may need to re-think the oem route... those things are damn expensive.

What have people used for the lower ball joints?

They go on about 555 in Oz - cant find a supplier in Europe though :(

Apparently the "555" is just a casting mark meaning it was casted using a exact toyota replica. Other than that, quality is still questionable and many of these "555" are labeled on various aftermarket brands.

I've chosen a brand called "moog" for the inner tie rods as it has reasonable reviews at half the price OEM ones would cost. Also comes with lifetime warranty so can't complain.

Considering a pair of inner rods cost $250+ I doubt simon can get much of that to make it worth while...

Back