Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iPad, Galaxy Tab or something else?

Hi There,

Could this be used for overlanding? Heading to Mongolia in a few weeks and looking at toughbooks at the mo but I suppose this would be better if it could handle the vibrations/heat etc? Any ideas on that? ALso is it possible to hook up a garmin GPS with a Galaxy tab and use MM?

Cheers
J

I don't know about this specific device but be sure you can live with the glossy screen used on most tablets because they can be challenging to read in sunlight ...

I took delivery of a new iPad3 in the last two weeks :D I ended up getting the 64Gb 4G one but you can run MM on both the 16Gb wifi version as well as the 16Gb 4G, if you get any of the wifi versions of the iPad you will need an additional BlueTooth GPS aerial. Not a concern with any of the 3G or 4G iPads as these all have a real GPS chip set built in. I also bought MemoryMap last week that is now staggeringly only £99 :thumbup: It's all loaded onto the iPad now from off of my normal PC through iTunes and works as sweet as a nut :D :D I did a 230miles journey on Wednesday with it running in the car mapping & tracking my route with no trouble, except for needing to be plugged in to charge as when the GPS is running it uses power a little quicker. The new Retina screen on my iPad3 is better than HD quality and has to be seen to be believed and with the brightness turned up was easy to read. I Will update with photos and more detail but I'm away from home at this moment in time and 'am short of time.

Hope that this has helped :)

sae70 said:
I took delivery of a new iPad3 in the last two weeks :D I ended up getting the 64Gb 4G one but you can run MM on both the 16Gb wifi version as well as the 16Gb 4G, if you get any of the wifi versions of the iPad you will need an additional BlueTooth GPS aerial. Not a concern with any of the 3G or 4G iPads as these all have a real GPS chip set built in. I also bought MemoryMap last week that is now staggeringly only £99 :thumbup: It's all loaded onto the iPad now from off of my normal PC through iTunes and works as sweet as a nut :D :D I did a 230miles journey on Wednesday with it running in the car mapping & tracking my route with no trouble, except for needing to be plugged in to charge as when the GPS is running it uses power a little quicker. The new Retina screen on my iPad3 is better than HD quality and has to be seen to be believed and with the brightness turned up was easy to read. I Will update with photos and more detail but I'm away from home at this moment in time and 'am short of time.

Hope that this has helped :)

I'm interested in your set up - I have iPad2 with built in phone and 64Gb would it work for me?

Is yours the the wifi or wifi & 3G model?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
isle of man said:
Just looked it's wifi 3G.
:cool: In that case all you need to do is buy MemoryMap, load it onto your PC, buy MM App for iPad, load MM onto your iPad via iTunes and Bods your uncle. The 3G & 4G models all have a built in GPS chip set :thumbup:

sae70 said:
isle of man said:
Just looked it's wifi 3G.
:cool: In that case all you need to do is buy MemoryMap, load it onto your PC, buy MM App for iPad, load MM onto your iPad via iTunes and Bods your uncle. The 3G & 4G models all have a built in GPS chip set :thumbup:

Bugger because I purchased one of these....
$(KGrHqV,!jEE2nkD!lu!BN6RWdMsj!~~_12.JPG

Carphone Swearhouse are running an offer at the moment for a Samsung Y phone at £15.50pm, it comes witha Galaxy Tab 2, its a 7" screen and has 8gb memory.

Good enough for navigation?

Any thought.

Pete

Back