Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

It was going to happen sooner or later

I think there will have to be so many millions invested in generating the electricity needed that we may see the 2040 cut off be modified to a phased introduction of all vehicles being electric.

Bear in mind 2040 is new car sales. There would still be a lot of petrol and diesel cars about at that point. The electrictity requirement will ramp up. We can do a lot in 22 years. But I don't think the aspirations of this government can be forced onto subsequent governments until this becomes legislation and I've seen no commitment to start that ball rolling yet.

The French might have finished Hinckley Point C by 2040

I think there will have to be so many millions invested in generating the electricity needed that we may see the 2040 cut off be modified to a phased introduction of all vehicles being electric.

Surely the "phasing" process will start at 2040?

As I read the article, only new cars will be affected as of 2040, so the demise of fuel supply stations and the hike in electricity production, will start at the same time then.

Existing cars at 2040 will be permitted and it will take the average lifetime of a vehicle, to complete the change-over, depending on the policies after 2040 regarding older cars being permitted on the roads.

The price of alternatively powered cars will decrease as demand increases, so by 2040, one would hope that these would be available at an affordable price.

Thankfully, by then, I might have worms crawling out of my eye sockets, as I sit smugly behind the wheel of my beloved 80, buried a couple of meters below the clay... with the usual bug grin on my face, of course....

Oh, and apologies for posting this before seeing Rob's post #62 above....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thankfully, by then, I might have worms crawling out of my eye sockets, as I sit smugly behind the wheel of my beloved 80, buried a couple of meters below the clay... with the usual bug grin on my face, of course....
You and me both Clive. :text-+1:

Sure it is...

Isn't this supposed to say NO NONSENSE BACK-TO-BASICS?

image.png

The price of alternatively powered cars will decrease as demand increases, so by 2040, one would hope that these would be available at an affordable price.

They're gonna have to be 'cos nobody's gonna buy em.
Also bear in mind 2040 is at least 4 general elections away. The next lot could get in and re-schedule/scrap the whole thing.

They're gonna have to be 'cos nobody's gonna buy em.
Also bear in mind 2040 is at least 4 general elections away. The next lot could get in and re-schedule/scrap the whole thing.

Be careful what you wish for, you might end up with a Trump :doh:

That's nothing new. My wife has been using an older version of that for years. Looks a bit different.
Here's a picture of one similar in its natural habitat.
View attachment 130857
And being used (not by my wife!)View attachment 130858
Threadjack over. :)

Nice one Rich, I liked the Suffolk Post's revolutionary phone that was unbreakable and couldn't be lost, it's attached to a cable and sits on a table in the hallway, so that you can easily have a private conversation without the whole household listening in :lol:

OK, now the threadjack's over.

This was just posted on Facebook;

I do so hope that I'm still alive in 2040 when all new cars will be electric.

I want to see the chaos and Health & Safety issues when people who don't have a garage or off road parking have cables strewn across the pavements (and maybe half a mile down the road to where the nearest parking space was when they came home).

Also where is all of the extra electricity going to come from as, from what we're told, the power stations and the national grid are already running to full capacity?

Will the yobs of the time be cutting and nicking all of these copper cables, and where is all of the copper needed to make them going to come from? And come to that, where is the lithium needed for the batteries going to come from? And what about the environmental damage that is caused by copper and lithium mining?

What will happen when 100s of people get stuck on the motorway in winter when the (less efficient in cold weather batteries) are unexpectedly flattened by heaters and lights? Will the AA/RAC have electric vehicles too? If so how will they cope with towing 3 ton cars to the nearest (available) chargers?

What happens if the chargers are all in use when you get to where you're going and don't have enough power to get back home? Will there be queues of people pushing their 3 ton battery cars looking for an unoccupied charging space? Will there be 'charging rage' with people fighting in the streets over who's turn it is next?

I do so hope that I'm still alive in 2040 when all new cars will be electric.
1f602.png

Back