Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

It was going to happen sooner or later

I don't seem to be able to recall a previous instance where a mode of transport was banned by government in favor of another.

I wonder who benefits from this.

well I've never bought a new car so its not going to effect me :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: and with the way the traffic volumes are increasing we'd probably be gridlocked by 2030 anyway

I don't seem to be able to recall a previous instance where a mode of transport was banned by government in favor of another.

Probably everyone except those with newish cars in the years approaching 2040.

My concern is that these plans, whatever they may be, are likely based on unreliable data, upon which the assessments of the effects of the measures are assumed.

Rarely on these occasions has the full effect been researched properly, the effects on more electricity demand, the effects of upgrading and maintaining the grid, the increased pollution from the power stations generating the electricity, and so on.

A large sector of the polluters seems to be exempt as well, goods transport by road for example.

Where's the incentive to use rail for freight, that would have beneficial effects, for sure, but ithat opportunity is going untapped at the moment.

We're in their hands it seems, good or bad, effective or otherwise.

The health and environmental effects of burning fossil fuels are well established and researched. However the current transport alternatives are not a green as some would have you believe.

Power supply in the U.K. will likely be from foreign funded and owned nuclear power by then based on the current strategies.

At the moment this is quick fix headline to deal with emissions failures by recent governments. As a live say there's also a lot of other issues to resolve with freight and industrial emissions that need to be tackled as a whole picture if we are really to solve the problems

I wonder what this will mean for campervans, towing trailers and caravans, and overlanding

Will electric vehicles have the grunt. And range for these tasks...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Somehow it will be the government, they will have to make good all the revenue lost from sale of fuels

The'll just bang the tax on the leccy bills Chas, so those who go by rail will still be paying, just by running their fridge.

The'll just bang the tax on the leccy bills Chas, so those who go by rail will still be paying, just by running their fridge.
Unfortunately you are probably right Clive.

When you stand by a busy motorway you can try and imagine the enormous energy used every day. Presumably we will have to start building more power stations next week.

Cars themselves are to be a new tax , disposable and never individually owned you will rent it because you have too much disposable income and the EU flower power lobby needs it to increase the planets problems by creating an income from producing waste they can't dispose of .

A 40 year old Landrover still driving about has caused less environmental damage than the production of a single new plastic smart car .

I used to like the planet but they have forced me to hate it .

When you stand by a busy motorway you can try and imagine the enormous energy used every day. Presumably we will have to start building more power stations next week.
Or more solar power stations, we are going to be a bit stuffed in the UK then, no sun!

New nuclear power programme for the UK is well underway. Funded and owned by foreign companies as we can't do it ourselves anymore

1. Cars that run on leaded petrol.
2. Air breathers.

New nuclear power programme for the UK is well underway. Funded and owned by foreign companies as we can't do it ourselves anymore

I think we can, we just have a government that doesn't want to tax and spend.

Not at all, when the previous government announced the new nuclear programme the UK had Zero capability, all our expertise from the first phase had retired or passed away.

That's why Hinkley point C is being financed and operated by French and Chinese nuclear expertise. Its no a good prospect for the future, as our previous labour government agreed to pay 3x the rate per kwh. The next station in the programme, Wilfa, is being eyed up by Hitachi and the Chinese.

I wonder what this will mean for campervans, towing trailers and caravans, and overlanding

Will electric vehicles have the grunt. And range for these tasks...
You never know, the old diesel burning trucks might become sought after..

Right! I'll keep my fingers crossed then and start looking for a property in the sun.

Morocco looks like a good bet with their new giant solar energy plant. There was a German based plan, Desertec, to build lots of solar power plants in the Algerian Sahara with a link to bring the power to Europe, but I think that's been abandoned now.

Yes, and what a wonderfully ecological footprint those half-thought-out things leave as a legacy for our kids to deal with... :icon-rolleyes:

The world really lost its marbles when nuclear power plants went into production.

At least with cars the designers were honest, "we don't know how to dispose of the exhaust safely, so we'll just blow it into the atmosphere...".

What's the Nuclear Power Industry's answer to that? They just bury it somewhere, don't tell anyone, and claim nuclear power is the cleanest most eco friendly power source ever......

rant over :eusa-naughty:

I'm no fan of nuclear either Clive. Having had the displeasure of Hinckley construction last year it's a political and financial disaster.

Morocco has some very forward thinking renewables programmes at the moment having seen a demand to supply Europe. Interestingly back to cars it's actually cheaper in Morocco to buy and run a new car than an old one

Back