Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

It's started.

Andrew Prince said:
:D I'll keep quiet now and stop being a smart @rse
smart @rse? not you Andrew, you are right about the Nissan, I used to drive a 200ZX, too fast, like sh*t off a shovel, got rid, it was a case of either lose my life or my license.

Back from Julian's
king-033.gif
last night with a brand new MOT pass certificate, he waved his magic wand and nutter assistant Dave
mini-devil-28492.gif
deployed his Sonic screwdriver to make it all work OK, including a full service and fitting a rear bumper/wheel carrier and a drawer unit, the truck has been transformed, it's a joy to drive. There was a bit of a shock when the front brakes were checked :o , both discs needed replacing, one was paper thin you could have shaved with it, see pic for new and old. More pics to come later when it's light and less
cat-head.gif
and
animal047.gif
out there :lol:

Attachments

• New-2.JPG
    New-2.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 225
he posted that on facebook i didnt realise it was your truck, just in the nick of time :thumbup:

Joe

:shock: That old disc looks so scary! The poor pads must have been shredded!

Is the new one vented? My 1995 HJ80 has vented discs. Is there such a thing as standard on these 80s? I suppose there are different country specs, but something as basic as brakes, I would have thought that they would be standard accross the specs.

It's not so clear in the photo... :?

clivehorridge said:
:shock: That old disc looks so scary! The poor pads must have been shredded!

Is the new one vented? My 1995 HJ80 has vented discs. Is there such a thing as standard on these 80s? I suppose there are different country specs, but something as basic as brakes, I would have thought that they would be standard accross the specs.

It's not so clear in the photo... :?
Yes they are vented. Can't add the better pic, get error message saying file too large.

Ive seen a few like the one that came off your new chas. Not good at all. Good idea getting it seviced :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe there is a standard then...

I thought my discs were a bit ribbed, but at 320,000km they don't look bad at all in comparison! ;) I'm glad you caught these before something really gave up at an crucial moment :o :!:

It had been standing for about 18 months and the seller didn't know when it had last been serviced, it was his company's car, so I thought a full service :think: that's the first thing to do, apart from that and a very slightly loose O/S front wheel bearing and a leaky rear shock there was nothing else wrong with it :thumbup: so Julian and Dave did their magic, fitted new rear shocks and Milner 20% uprated springs the bumper/wheel carrier and the drawer unit and it was good to go :dance: Julians verdict was it looked pretty clean, strangely it got an advisory on a front anti-roll bar rubber that Julian had just changed for a new one, go figure :think: it also said the braking efficiency only just met the required the service brake efficiency, but the whole brake system had been overhauled, but they probably just need bedding in.

It just goes to show that if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself. A "brake overhaul" that leaves a disc in that condition is close to criminal. :thumbdown:

Anyway, glad you've got it sorted :D

clivehorridge said:
It just goes to show that if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself. A "brake overhaul" that leaves a disc in that condition is close to criminal. :thumbdown:

Anyway, glad you've got it sorted :D
No no, the brake overhaul was what uncovered the dodgy disc. The advisory came after the brakes were done.

Oops sorry, got hold of the wrong end of the stick there! :oops: :whistle:

Well I've been driving the new petrol 80 for a couple of weeks now and I love it, as many have said it's a lot quieter and the acceleration is a fair bit nippier.
I've done a few minor mods, don't worry Mr Insurance man nothing that would put up my premium :snooty:, just a catagory 1 alarm, a Parrot hands free kit, a drawer unit in the back and a chunky rear bumper/wheel carrier, fitted by our own Julian V :thumbup: an LED number plate light and a three way 12v socket outlet under the dash, just personalisation rather than modification
Today I was doing some slight adjustment :whistle: to the drawers with an angle grinder and managed to grind a bit off my index finger :oops: , just painful rather than serious.
I can see this being a long term partnership.

Bought a heavy duty winch bumper for the 'new' green Land Cruiser, £210 (it was on eBay for £245 + £20 P&P, but we came to a mutual agreement) but I won't be fitting a winch, it's just something a bit more substantial in case any concrete walls get in the way :oops: :lol: I'll stick the number plate over the cable aperture to disguise it. :thumbup:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!hIE8itnQtNcBP(6GsG1m!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!hIE8itnQtNcBP(6GsG1m!~~60_12.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 174
  • $(KGrHqR,!hIE8itnQtNcBP(6G2PP2Q~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!hIE8itnQtNcBP(6G2PP2Q~~60_12.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 169
  • $(KGrHqZ,!h!E9onJjYqiBPdKt3f3jQ~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!h!E9onJjYqiBPdKt3f3jQ~~60_12.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 176
As I couldn’t get the 80 started today I thought I’d get on with something else so I fitted a three way and USB 12v socket outlet, just noticed it’s not mounted straight but to avoid drilling holes it’s stuck on with self-adhesive Velcro so I'll straighten it later. :thumbup:

I also I fitted a non-slip surface to my drawer unit to stop things sliding about. It’s a sort of vinyl material, got from a very nice man at British Airways, they use it in the galley areas of aircraft.
I stuck it down with 'No More Nails' and finished off the edges with carpet edging strip to neaten it up a bit (I even managed to cut the angles correctly.

It's looking a bit dusty, I must give it a wipe over tomorow. :oops:

It's looking very neat now :cool:

Before and after the edging pics below,

Attachments

• Corner.JPG
    Corner.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 160
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0623.JPG
    DSCN0623.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 161
Looking sharp Chas B-)

Especially the corner of the edging strip :-D

O:)

Looking good Chas.... :thumbup:

Gav Peter said:
Looking sharp Chas B-)
There's always one, isn't there...!! :roll: :lol:

Gav Peter said:
Looking sharp Chas B-)

I did notice that, sooner or later I'll have blood pouring and I'll have to get a file on it, perhaps a bit of preventative maintenance is called for ;)

Been a while since I last looked through these pages and what a nice surprise - Chas is driving LandCruisers again. :thumbup:
Any new trip down to the wild Balkan on horizon?

vrecha said:
Been a while since I last looked through these pages and what a nice surprise - Chas is driving LandCruisers again. :thumbup:
Any new trip down to the wild Balkan on horizon?
Thank you Damjan, no trips in this one, I am not doing any off-road modifications to it, it is going to be my daily driver.
Later in the year I will get the red one re-insured for overlanding :thumbup:

Back