Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jump Start advice

Wish i could find another set of free gift from a petrol station 10 or more years ago jump leads , jaws are only big enough but strong and shaped to grip the battery post and the cable is light enough that the whole lot packs away into a bag that might fit in the poachers pockets of a wax jacket . 12 volt is 12 volt and who cares if they are only going to be used once in a blue moon , the set i have is always stowed away forgotten in the wrong truck when a friend has starting problems :confusion-shrug:

I haven't had a vehicle with two batteries before and so was looking for advice about the connections for jump leads as I don't want to fry anything. I'm also looking to buy a suitable set of jump leads so any recommendations would be appreciated.
Sorry Hutton, seams I may have confused the issue, but as per your first post I was trying to put in 'Laymans' terms as to why there are two battries on a 12 volt car and how to connect jump leads on a dual battery system.

So, I apologise again for any confusion, and hope you get it sorted from all the other excellent advice given.

Good Luck,

JJ.

I see that this thread is a few years old, but it's never too late to brush up on essential vehicle maintenance and safety tips, especially when it comes to jump-starting a vehicle with two batteries.
When connecting jump leads, it's crucial to follow the proper procedure to avoid any electrical mishaps:
Positive to Positive: Connect the positive (+) terminal of the good battery to the positive terminal of the dead battery.
Attempt to Start the Dead Vehicle: If it doesn't start, it's wise to consider calling a tow truck near me to avoid any further complications or potential damage.
Regarding jump leads, it's recommended to choose a set with a sufficient gauge (usually 4-6 gauge) and a length of at least 12 feet to ensure a secure connection.

Last edited:
I see that this thread is a few years old, but it's never too late to brush up on essential vehicle maintenance and safety tips, especially when it comes to jump-starting a vehicle with two batteries.
Welcome to the forum.
Just to be on the safe side, when it comes to car battery jumping: This thread is specifically for cars with two batteries in a parallell connection, i.e. still plain 12 volts, no separators/dividers, no 24 volt start, no back-up battery system, no DC-DC charger between; just two batteries in plain parallell like on the HDJ100 in it's stock configuration.

The electronics on the landcruisers is very sturdy and stable. They can take any normal jumping or start boosters without frying anything.

Back