Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ90 first used May 12th 1998

I do to Dave and i really am wondering about the wisdom of coating it with stone chip paint . Halting the rust before it got too late was my main concern and i think the omnicoat has done that but nothing is ever perfect .

Do i let it get beaten battered and chipped away making touching up occasional maintenance but allowing me to keep an eye on things or do i slap a thick coat of protection on top that might hide rust and make it look good for years is the question :think:

The Jury is still out ?

I do to Dave and i really am wondering about the wisdom of coating it with stone chip paint . Halting the rust before it got too late was my main concern and i think the omnicoat has done that but nothing is ever perfect .

Do i let it get beaten battered and chipped away making touching up occasional maintenance but allowing me to keep an eye on things or do i slap a thick coat of protection on top that might hide rust and make it look good for years is the question :think:

The Jury is still out ?

Can't help with the dilemma Shayne, but that tank looks as-new, assuming the rusting process has been stopped.

Good work, and 10/10 for effort...

Goodness knows what mine is like under there.... :shifty:

Cheers Clive , the omnicote likes rust to chemically bond with so it probably wasn't the best thing to use on the tank once all rust was removed , the thing is i think of the dark patches in the shiny metal as decomposed steel waiting to rust so i'm blindly hoping some sort of chemistry will take place :confusion-shrug:

The Jury is still out ?

I'd go for the stone chip, but only on surfaces likely to be heavily exposed

If I could bring myself to cover up that perfect finish...

How did you apply the omnicote?

2 coats with a 6" brush , i didn't want to paint the tank at all a coat of varnish over exposed steel would have looked cool :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
2 coats with a 6" brush , i didn't want to paint the tank at all a coat of varnish over exposed steel would have looked cool :lol:

Haha - personally, I'm going for the rusty rat-look. Seems to be happening without me lifting a finger

Ace finish for brush painting. Can I use it on my front fence?

Its not advertised for cars they sell for railings and cast iron drain pipes and the like so assuming your fence it metal it should be great .

My fence is wooden and white: I checked their website and they claim it works on wood (which is a bit of a waste of the rust convertor bit)

But it's available in any colour you like (as long as it's black) :cry:

I can't help with that mate in my view painting wood is a crime :think: maybe the rusty rat approach will work on the fence to ;)

Hammerite stone chip wasn't what i expected at all

Stone chip 004.JPG

It looks ok i thought and we must remember nobody but me is likely to see any of this again anyway , so i got underneath with it

Stone chip 004.JPG
Stone chip 001.JPG
Stone chip 002.JPG
Stone chip 003.JPG

Cheers Nick i just noticed i messed up the pics but never mind , as i have said before what really matters is how it looks underneath a year from now .

Looking good Shayne. You'll be glad when you've had enough of doing that I reckon. But it'll becanother job to tick off the list. Are you managing to get anything inside the chassis rails? Not that they really need it I suppose as they're pretty thick. Still, they can look good all the way up to when they rust out from inside. My Shogun started to do that and was what sent it to the knackers yard in the end according to the MOT advisory history.

Omnicote will be going inside to though i haven't given much thought as to how yet , i have a compressor but no paint gun :think: or i might just modify the garden sprayer and use that .

Last edited:
Looks great Shayne, well worth the effort in the long term. By the way, Hope your rear brake line isn't strained??

Tight but not tense Beau , i expect to need something new somewhere when it all goes back together in any case . Not much doing today because she told me we are on a plane tomorrow so pics for the sake of it really .

panhard and rail 001.JPG
panhard and rail 002.JPG
panhard and rail 003.JPG

And now she tells me its tomorrow night at stupid o'clock in the morning we take off for a week :icon-rolleyes:

Looks great Shayne - definately motivating me to start a similar job on my 60. Not sure what process to adopt yet but it will need lots of work and several stages or coats.
Will take it one step or section at a time to avoid biting off too much in one go. The wife is away this weekend and weather looks good so should get 2 full days at it. Also want to treat the inside of the chassis

Back