KZJ90 first used May 12th 1998

Shayne

Guru
And time for a clean up .

tank out 004.JPG

tank out 003.JPG

tank out 002.JPG

You bitin' the bullet Shayne?

You're always lamenting not doing the underside rust protection, is this now a project?

It's just gotta be done Clive the morons around here only salt roads when the forecast universally agrees it will be mildly damp and its taking its toll .

Now i have actually got to it i'm second guessing myself about what products to use :icon-rolleyes:

Knowing what i know now i think i would have settled for using a garden sprayer to lash a litre of that omnicote black rust stuff over everything annually . If it does what its supposed to do the underside would still look good now , but alas i left it too late .

You could do worse than use your garden sprayer to coat the underside in old engine oil.
Just don't let Helen find out if it's her sprayer…:auto-ambulance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Having long known about the axle turret drain problem with 90 series i have always paid particular attention to them while jet washing , so i was unhappy to find a handful of Lincomb mud which has taken the consistency of sand probably due to the amount of times its been "washed" in one of the turrets , and I reckon its been 3 years since i buried the truck deep enough in Lincomb red to fill the turrets !

So i got the drill out and sorted it while wondering why the hell i didn't do it years ago :icon-neutral:

Axle turret drains 001.JPG
Axle turret drains 002.JPG
Axle turret drains 003.JPG

acid axle 001.JPG

I think the acid has done its work now and its time to neutralize it and get busy with a wire brush .

I'm juggling with going all out with Zinga cold gal over everything or just omnicote it all to convert prime and seal rust then using a few tins of Hammerite stone chip to finish with a protective layer :think:

I think i read the Chemiphase Cemex hydrocloric acid i used is supposed to cancel itself at some point but rather than take a chance on it i stuck a bag of soda crystals (alkali) in 5 litres of hot water , coated everything and let it sit for two days .
Soda Chrystal 001.JPG

paint axle 002.JPG

And this afternoon i made the fatal mistake of thinking "i will just paint that bit"

paint axle 003.JPG

So much for the original plan of taking everything off and putting it back bit by bit :icon-rolleyes: but hey i reckon the only way to do this wrong is to put it off until next year ...... again :icon-smile:

Nice one Shayne, maybe you're going to sleep easier now... :whistle:

The thing with neutralizing acid treatment (IMO) is to use a neutral (water) as long as it's thorough and dried quickly.

When using soda, you're not only neutralizing the acid, but you're attacking the same steel with the opposite end of the spectrum, a strong alkaline.

Did you neutralize that before application of the finish?

Just askin'.... :shifty:

I wish i felt it were true Gary my hope is i will crawl under it in a years time and think hey that's good that . It's not nearly finished yet of course , i have to get inside the turrets and there's 5 tins of stone chip on the way to me so :pray: for next year

Last edited:
Zinga Dave it should have been done first but i got carried away with the omnicote , it kinda worked out well though as having no omnicote left all i could do today was spend a lazy 2 hours chipping away inside the turret with a hammer and wood chisel .

Turrets 001.JPG

Turrets 003.JPG

Hi Shayne,

Have been following this post as I have been thinking about doing the same one day and am reviewing the products a bit. At this moment I would be tempted to go for the Dinitrol products as I have read great feedback and I like I can order all I need in one pack.

What I was wondering: Are you going to take the same approach on the floor? I saw you took of the fueltank so I suppose you will. Would you mind to share how hard it is to take the tank out on your own and if it is maybe something to be skipped?

I saw this great description of a, sorry, land rover at :

http://funrover.com/guides/how-to-use-dinitrol-to-rustproof-your-land-rover/

Good luck!

Hi Alexander the job has gone tits up for me as typically my free time has gone awol of late so much that today is my first go back at it since the last update .

As my truck has been left sitting its given me a chance to see the omnicote at work , rust has bubbled but its still black paint which bodes well i think .
If time allowed i would polish the bubbles out with sandpaper so the end job looked new , but alas my schedule is getting tighter by the day .

For me the omnicote is rust converter and paint sealer in one , best part about it is being water based you can wash out your brushes and clean yourself up in 10 minutes .

I intend to cover the omnicote with hammerite stone chip shield so the paint itself is protected .

Dropping the tank is very easy , i put a bucket under it and unscrewed the plug on the bottom to drain fuel . Disconnected whatever electrical plugs or pipes attached to the tank , then popped a bottle jack beneath and undone all the tank strap bolts . Open the jack and let it drop .

Hope this helps in some way :thumbup:

So impressed was i with the screwfix prep wheel i remembered to take a photo 3 minutes after i started on the worst bit

Polished tank 001.JPG

And in less than an hour (broken up by nagging phone calls)

Polished tank 003.JPG

Polished tank 004.JPG

Admittedly its only half the tank done but apparently she has been telling me for a month i've got a party to go to in an hour :doh:

Polished tank 2 002.JPG
Polished tank 2 004.JPG
Polished tank 2 006.JPG

Pickup sock was remarkably clean though it can soak overnight in some oxy cleaner stuff .

Polished tank 2 005.JPG

It's worth noting that the worst rust was to be found under the heaviest application of chip protection paint though of course i don't know if this was Toyota's own stuff or something applied over rust by a previous owner ?
Polished tank 2 003.JPG

Back