Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC90 VX - 97 colorado 3.4 v6 or 3.0TD - fuel debate, which to get, seeing v6 sunday

godzilla

Country Flag
scotland
hi guys

Considering getting a 90 and I have seen a petrol 1997 vx colorado. I like it, but been told by a garage guy that it does 10 miles per gallon.

That cant been right....help.....

what are the owners experiences, are you getting 10mile or is it actually 20 as listed on spec lists.

please help as thinking if getting it as I have already seen it, but seeing it again this sunday, since the guy did not have his paperwork folder with him (meant to be fsh).

i should add, it will be for family use. motorways and travelling on A/b class roads in the welsh valley which will be mostly duals.

sadly no mud or pulling anything.

worse case fully loaded trips to scotland (homeland) from wales.

really want to check if i can get into the 20s then maybe worth getting over a td.

with cruise control working, i dont expect to drive it above 65-70.

do they last as long as a td?

wanted some thoughts here first before i take the plunge

cheers up front and keep up the good work

TD are overpriced for my little budget just under 3k!

If a 3.0td isnt affordable, and a petrol is, get the petrol.

3.0td gets me about 22mpg, Im sure the petrol isnt as good, but havent heard of 10mpg, I thought nearer 20, but thats why they are cheaper.

Cruise control not the most economical way to drive.

Pete

Thanks W

thats what I thought it was around the 20 mark and the TDs up to and around the 30 mark.

it will be cheaper and to come across a low miler - could possibly be a good move to get used to the car for a year and trhen go form there.

it depends what some petrol owner views are, which will be a great help.

hopefully get some more input by tomorrow.

I have no idea what a petrol does but my td auto will do 28-29 on a run if I don't push it much over 70, towing about 1.5 tons and on short trips without the trailer it'll only manage 20-22mpg. A td should last longer than a petrol and of course there's less maintenance.

The 3.4V6 will achieve ~22mpg on motorways/A road runs at 65/70mph. I know because I have achieved that consistently for many years and over 40k miles. In stop/start driving in and around town, then that can drop to low teens. This is however all in standard form on the OEM road biased tyres. I've started using slightly oversize ATs in the last few years and my MPG figure has dropped to around 21mpg on M'way runs, so say a drop of nearly 10%.

The above figures are all running on Petrol, however my VZJ95 was converted to LPG around 40k ago, so now the consumption costs are equivalent to ~35mpg on Petrol.

If you have access to LPG around your area and you intend to keep the vehicle for a while and put some mileage on it, then LPG may be worth considering. Otherwise just run it on petrol in standard form and enjoy the truck. :)

I think much depends on what driving you do . I've no idea how to work out mpg but my 3.0 diesel swb collie with steel wheels and 285/75 R16 cooper stt tyres got me from Wales to Liverpool for under £50 (217 miles according to google) . But the following day i used another 50 quid driving maybe 100 miles on the Isle of Man which is mostly hills and country lanes with lots of starting and stopping for traffic .

It should be noted though on the way to Liverpool i did most of the M6 in second gear due to accidents and delays .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 3.4V6 will achieve ~22mpg on motorways/A road runs at 65/70mph. I know because I have achieved that consistently for many years and over 40k miles. In stop/start driving in and around town, then that can drop to low teens. This is however all in standard form on the OEM road biased tyres. I've started using slightly oversize ATs in the last few years and my MPG figure has dropped to around 21mpg on M'way runs, so say a drop of nearly 10%.

The above figures are all running on Petrol, however my VZJ95 was converted to LPG around 40k ago, so now the consumption costs are equivalent to ~35mpg on Petrol.

If you have access to LPG around your area and you intend to keep the vehicle for a while and put some mileage on it, then LPG may be worth considering. Otherwise just run it on petrol in standard form and enjoy the truck. :)

Thanks Chad

Thats some great advice, I had a feeling, that it was the 20mpg end and it will that on a regular basis. I will be mostly on the A class roada a few street driving to get to schools I will be working in.

So the 20mpg for that size truck is good.

I am getting some great advice here

I have no idea what a petrol does but my td auto will do 28-29 on a run if I don't push it much over 70, towing about 1.5 tons and on short trips without the trailer it'll only manage 20-22mpg. A td should last longer than a petrol and of course there's less maintenance.

Thanks Tim

Most people are saying the diesel will get the higher end of the 20s on the mpg and that seems to be the case everywhere.

but the price for the TD is out of my budget as they seem to be a 1k more than what I think is the right price for a 4x4 for the years, if that makes sense.

I think much depends on what driving you do . I've no idea how to work out mpg but my 3.0 diesel swb collie with steel wheels and 285/75 R16 cooper stt tyres got me from Wales to Liverpool for under £50 (217 miles according to google) . But the following day i used another 50 quid driving maybe 100 miles on the Isle of Man which is mostly hills and country lanes with lots of starting and stopping for traffic .

It should be noted though on the way to Liverpool i did most of the M6 in second gear due to accidents and delays .

Cheers Shayne

My home town is Glasgow and that's where my longest trips will take place from Caerphilly (where i live now). Thats about under 400 mile trip there one way, so it will be interesting to see what the results will be and by looking at it if you get 217 from 50 = 28mpg mark with i got my sums correct.

6.45 per g
217 miles / 7.75gs = 28mpg

I think thats about right and in crazy stop start driving and hills = sounds about right for it to half that to 14s

this sounds promising....

I'm inclined to think the bigger radius of my tyres gives me great fuel consumption on a motorways coz i can toodle along at 70mph more or less in tickover . Trouble is they also add lots of weight so i suffer around town . I would def choose alloys over steel if i opt for new wheels again . I imagine with road tyres and alloys you would get far better overall mpg .

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think the bigger radius of my tyres gives me great fuel consumption on a motorways coz i can toodle along at 70mph more or less in tickover . Trouble is they also add lots of weight so i suffer around town . I would def choose alloys over steel if i opt for new wheels again . I imagine with road tyres and alloys you would get far better overall mpg .

Thanks S

I think the car already had the alloy on there and they were 265/70/16, i think from memory, I can go bigger, but will depend on how much discount I can get off the price.

I am going to be working on 65 miles on the m roads and a roads or keep to the speed limits until i can sort out the mpg for it.

265/70R16 are the OEM size - and I would personally stick to that size road (biased) tyres, such as the OEM Dunlop AT2 etc. if MPG is your main concern.

However many "upgrade" to 265/75R16 (like me) because a) there is much more tyre choice, especially in ATs and/or MTs and b) they fill the arches better, especially with a SL - the latter point is purely cosmetic and down to your POV though. ;-)

Last edited:
265/70R16 are the OEM size - and I would personally stick to that size road (biased) tyres, such as the OEM Dunlop AT2 etc. if MPG is your main concern.

However many "upgrade" to 265/75R16 (like me) because a) there is much more tyre choice, especially in ATs and/or MTs and b) they fill the arches better, especially with a SL - the latter point is purely cosmetic and down to your POV though. ;-)

Cheers Chad

the tyres will make a difference, but it will depend how many of his tryes are borderline and if new tryes are due.

My other thread is going to help with that on my final checks on buying, but the mpg debate confirms that the petrol is doable for me

Incidently my 285/75's have put my speedo absolutely spot on according to my satnav and them flashing speed warnings you see at the side of the road .

You're probably looking at £150(+/-10%) a corner in 285/75, they will also impact your consumption quite considerably on a petrol, which lacks the low down torque of the TD.

Additionally, although Shayne has been lucky enough to fit them without any mods, most people need some modifications to allow them fit without rubbing. They do look the dogs danglies though! :icon-cool:

I had to fit coil spacers to get a 2" lift - trim the seam with a grinder and make some room with a hammer to get 285's on . and i've got 16x8 wheels so the tyres lose some diameter and sit fatter than they would on standard wheels . It's still not perfect but good enough for me , i would advise anyone going this route to look for a negative 10 offset wheel (or thereabouts) coz i wish i had .

I got 4 used 285/75 for 300 quid on landrover wheels but getting a used spare proved impossible so £150 it cost for a matching new tyre .

I would definately not recommend a petrol LC if your looking to put stomper boots on it later !

Those tyre sizes are humongous compared with mine which are 215.80X16 which is the alternative size Toyota fitted on my FX model, this may account for the not so good cruising consumption.

huge!!!!!

I better hope this guys got great 265/70/16s on the truck.

I can handle them, I called my local tire place as he does a decent 265/70/16 for 80 fitted new.

I will be happy with those

Back