Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC90 VX 97 colorado 3.4l - MUST DOS - Top 5-10 checks before buying one

godzilla

Country Flag
scotland
Hi Guys

I have another thread on about the fuel issue/actual returns mpgs for the petrol version of the 97 vx v6 (so far, its confirming that the v6 will get me the 20mpg I was expecting).

But this is my most important thread

This is going to help me decide there and then to go ahead with my purchase as I am seeing the guy on sunday 12/5/13 6pmish or Monday.

I have my regular garage guy offering to check it for me (underneath), but this depend if the seller will let me have it for the 20mile trip to the garage.

If he does not, what are the TOP 5 or TOP 10 DOS - I should look for before handing over my hand earned dosh.

So far I know its VX 1997 Colorado, Auto 3.4L with 94K on the clock

Fsh to 2011
he has done 10k from 2011 and not serviced it, so due.
MOT 2011 there was some simple advisory - slight wear on brushes and 1 disc slightly wear

So full service due (hes not done it) and he will bring his last 2 mots

Issues I know of RAD, SUNROOF working/not, TIMING BELT,

1. RAD - when is it meant to be replaced (i can check from paperwork if done or not)?
2. SUNROOF - are these meant to work - if it does not then what!
3. Timing belt - I think someone said 60K change is this true?

How much can I haggle if no service in 2 years?

And how much discount, if there is issues with the sunroof and timing belt.

I know local garage can charge up to 400+ for major service with the belt

tyres are 100 each

Any help please, if he does not allow me taking it to the garage

Want to join the owner club, hopefully in the next few days

cheers guys, I will this thread regularly updated until b4 my trip to see it

Does it vibrate under power anywhere between 60-70mph - rear uj will need replacing. Easy to do yourself but good for bargaining.

Does it pull to one side under braking - needs calliper rebuild and/or need suspension/steering bushes. Again you can do these yourself if you have the tools.

Decent service history obviously.

Have a quick look underneath at the chassis for excessive rust - look around rear top shock and control arm mounts for cracks (difficult to spot but would usually result in knocking sounds over bumps). I would avoid this.

Aircon working?

Alarm have a remote and working?

check 4 wheel drive centre diff locks comes out once its in, if it hasn't been used for a while then there ma be an issue, also does rear diff lock work, these appl to both oil burner and petrol

The petrol does have a safe engine should the cambelt break which ain't a bad thing

check the usual things like water in transmission oil as this is still an issue on the petrol as well

I think i would chance suggesting you will pay the full price minus the cost of a full major service . Thats around £400 if no faults are found . However if faults are found the cost of repair should also be deducted from the sale price . Its unlikely he will agree but you never know ?

I agreed £600 for a new clutch to be fitted asap at a Toyota dealers . While they had it i offered another £400 for a major service including new timing belt/chain etc . The full bill came to £1700 ! and i declined having a new indicator stalk fitted for around £200 .

Toyota the most reliable trucks in the world - but damn they are expensive to fix when they do have problems .

Alternatively i believe many change the rad on auto's around the 90k mark as failure resulting in the need for major repairs is , if not common , then well known . I'm sure someone else can tell you more about this , perhaps its just diesels or certain models that suffer in this way , i have a manual so mines unnaffected ....... i hope !

Last edited:
Does it vibrate under power anywhere between 60-70mph - rear uj will need replacing. Easy to do yourself but good for bargaining.

Does it pull to one side under braking - needs calliper rebuild and/or need suspension/steering bushes. Again you can do these yourself if you have the tools.

Decent service history obviously.

Have a quick look underneath at the chassis for excessive rust - look around rear top shock and control arm mounts for cracks (difficult to spot but would usually result in knocking sounds over bumps). I would avoid this.

Aircon working?

Alarm have a remote and working?

Thanks FM

FSH to 2011 and checking the last few mots for advisory
60-70 test will be doing tomorrow and will be break at speed (not that much incase)
engage the cruise as different speeds
will check all heater and switches etc
underneath will be the issue in trying to work out what i am looking for
arlam will check this along with the electrics of the chairs and sunroof

check 4 wheel drive centre diff locks comes out once its in, if it hasn't been used for a while then there ma be an issue, also does rear diff lock work, these appl to both oil burner and petrol

The petrol does have a safe engine should the cambelt break which ain't a bad thing

check the usual things like water in transmission oil as this is still an issue on the petrol as well

check, check and check, I will have the bonnet open and will be checking all the fluids see what the levels are and see if they have been maintanted

the belts will be putting the mot and ser hist in order and check whats been done and whats not

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The seatbelts are notoriesly crap at retracting , not the end of the world but a bargaining point maybe .

I think i would chance suggesting you will pay the full price minus the cost of a full major service . Thats around £400 if no faults are found . However if faults are found the cost of repair should also be deducted from the sale price . Its unlikely he will agree but you never know ?

I agreed £600 for a new clutch to be fitted asap at a Toyota dealers . While they had it i offered another £400 for a major service including new timing belt/chain etc . The full bill came to £1700 ! and i declined having a new indicator stalk fitted for around £200 .

Toyota the most reliable trucks in the world - but damn they are expensive to fix when they do have problems .

Alternatively i believe many change the rad on auto's around the 90k mark as failure resulting in the need for major repairs is , if not common , then well known . I'm sure someone else can tell you more about this , perhaps its just diesels or certain models that suffer in this way , i have a manual so mines unnaffected ....... i hope !

Hi S

I had these thoughts too!

My angle is that i offer him the asking price minus the cost of a full major service which I have priced at 400 with the belt at a local garage we know.

also take into account the tyre 100 bucks

and the extra 100 for the clean up and touch ups on the paints and odd bits

I know that it was fsh until 2011 but after that 2 mot only and no service for 10k

So major service is due and tyre = 500
also last two mots will mean any advisory wont have been done since no service so at least a extra 200-300

I was going to be cheeky and offer 1k off the asking price and settle it at 800 off as that near all work done and a up to date fsh to 2013!!

I hope that makes sense

The seatbelts are notoriesly crap at retracting , not the end of the world but a bargaining point maybe .

add that to my list

I will be playing with all the inside buttons, knobs, switches, seats to make sure everything clicks together, its the advisory I am interested in

the 2011 mot mention brushes - how much are those to update?

How much is he asking? The truck is worth about £3,500.00, any more than that and you can get a diesel.

Not as easy to sell on as diesels, so he may take an offer.

Pete

How much is he asking? The truck is worth about £3,500.00, any more than that and you can get a diesel.

Not as easy to sell on as diesels, so he may take an offer.

Pete

He wants 3K, but I am going to offer about 2.3kish since not serviced for the last 2 years or 10k.

But all will be explained when I see his last two MOTs and see what if any advisory and if any of that work has been done.

Its a bit touch and go as he says he priced to sell since he has two cars and only needs one and this one not used much. (10k in 2 years)!

is the offer pushing it?

I am just worried about whats going to be in the MOTs since he has not serviced it. The service is due I guess and timing belt is a key point to check for me.

timing belt kit from Australia with all genuine parts including water pump is about £200 delivered so its not the end of the world

no offer is pushing it if he wants to sell, he can only say no

I would say that between your offer and 2.5k is about right for a petrol colorado.

If he can afford to tax and insure it 2 years on the trot just for it to sit on the drive i very much doubt he will be willing to budge much on price . What you really need to be careful about is the possibility he is selling because he knows something major is about to go . Not sure how you test the clutch in an auto ?

Not sure either how strong the petrol engines are but these are very tough trucks that require very little maintenance , my mates collie is still running strong despite it having 250k on the clock , its his daily driver and he tows a trailer loaded with a mini digger among other things at least twice a week . His has not had so much as an oil change in maybe 5 years (no m.o.t in the Isle of Man unless you crash) so i wouldn't be overly concerned about a missed service .

I seen at least 2 collie vx on gumtree just this morning for under 3k and i'm sure one was diesel but could be wrong . When you set your mind on something its easy to forget a better one might get listed for sale in the very next minute , so keep looking coz its plain as day to me you have set your mind on having this truck and rose tinted goggles often hide what might otherwise be blatantly obvious .

thanks s

great advice and this is my worry that there is something on the mots advisory hence the quick sell.

it would be a shame as looks a good truck.

i am going tomorrow now as he was busy today.

i have agreed to check his paperwork first and put it in order and check for belt changes and advisory.

if nothing shows up then its a trip to my garage guy to put it on the ramp and check up.

hopefully if anything found major walkaway

if small fix deal time

if service needed then deal time.

will be repoting here on a regular basis

Uni is out soon and 98% of students will be flying home to a different country . Phone this guy up and say 2 grand is all i've got , if you can't sell it then phone me back . http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...o1998-s-reg-30-turbo-diesel-manual/1017821574

Sod the history and everything else if it drives ok the grand you have saved will put things right and give you a motor that will last for years .

PS from what i know of uni students his mummy and daddy probably bought it for him for 5 and a half grand 6 months ago !

Last edited:
Uni is out soon and 98% of students will be flying home to a different country . Phone this guy up and say 2 grand is all i've got , if you can't sell it then phone me back . http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...o1998-s-reg-30-turbo-diesel-manual/1017821574

Sod the history and everything else if it drives ok the grand you have saved will put things right and give you a motor that will last for years .

PS from what i know of uni students his mummy and daddy probably bought it for him for 5 and a half grand 6 months ago !

Thanks S

I know students I was one years ago and know see I few of them every know and them from glam uni.

The overseas students are always getting rid of stuff.

I am seeing the other guy in a hour will be interesting to see what he says

if a no go or dont get much info from him then he must be hiding something.

I will write down a time line to spot the timing belt and take it from there

will report back tonite

saw the guy, 42k belt done but nothing since now 94k.

services none for last 3 years

but hist until 09.

lst mot disc pads and small weld job on exhaust.

offered 2k and then settled for 2200 and walked away.

just see what happens

New timing belt and good service, it'll be fine.

Be a real bargain at that price.

Good luck.

Pete

Back