Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Congratulations Ben!

But on a practical note (as always... :p ) do you know where the child seat top tethers are in the 78 and Soft Top 70? I know in my 73 they were on the "roll bar" ( I wouldn't trust it as a roll bar - I think it was more a case of somewhere to tether the seatbelts to...) Toyodiy show 3 tabs on the roll bar in the FJ73 I had, so I would suspect that the factory rear bar in the 70 would have had the same.

I'm sure there's another way of mounting them to the floor though which would allow the top tether to run down to the floor (which is how it's configured in my 4Runner - but I'm going to use the anchor points to mount my false floor to)

Reactions: Ben
Congratulations! Your energy levels will come in useful for your pending life changing event. Get as much done now before the big pause button is pressed on anything non baby related, but I would also advise sleep......man I miss sleep, I dream about it from time to time.

I was beginning to wonder if a 'mini Ben' was round the corner and here we are, right on cue. Congratulations to you both from Lynn and I. You've got life well mapped out and sorted Ben. Life continues to look good.

I hope all goes well and he's a smasher.
:happy-jumpeveryone: :clap:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

25 weeks to go before he arrives and I need the 78 finished and on the road and LJ back together with the new soft top body and V8 engine fitted. :shifty:

So trying to get as much done now as possible! :sleeping-sleep:

He arrives at the start of November and the following month we are going to buy our first wreck of a house to renovate and flip, so work on LandCruisers will be even more restricted as not only will we have a new born but also a house to totally gut and renovate. :crazy:

Not sure about anchor points yet Ed. The soft top 70's didnt come with a rear roll bar/hoop like the 73's and 74's.

The 78 will be having a false floor with anchor points mounted through it to the body below. Will have to make sure they are in a suitable position for a baby seat. :icon-biggrin:

I can't help thinking that a house move into a renovation project is going to be a bad idea with a newborn baby Ben. Dust, mildew, mess, disorganisation and a baby just don't seem to go. The only thing that's stopping me thinking it's impossible is that you are in the driving seat and you might just find a way to do it without it all turning to poo (though there'll be plenty of that I'm sure).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:lol:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

My plan is to do one room at a time and we might do the kitchen before we move in. :think:

We've got to live in the house for a year before we can sell it otherwise we get hit with a big tax bill when we sell. So shouldn't be a mad rush to get the place done, a year should be plenty of time. :shifty:

One room at a time and do the ones used most first is the way to go ben. Because your going to be living in it at same time maybe an idea would be to mask off the work areas with heavy duty sheet plastic to stop dust and other contaiments finding their way to juniors room. Dust from chaising walls etc is like talcum powder and will get into everything so restrict it as much as you can lad

Not sure about anchor points yet Ed. The soft top 70's didnt come with a rear roll bar/hoop like the 73's and 74's.

The 78 will be having a false floor with anchor points mounted through it to the body below. Will have to make sure they are in a suitable position for a baby seat. :icon-biggrin:

Just had a quick look on ToyoDIY and it shows a rear bar almost the same as the 73/4 one on the parts list, but no part number.

That's cool on the floor - it's things to think about that often get forgotten about otherwise...

Congrats Ben ! Just spent the last couple of hours catching Up with your cruisers

Time for a little update and then some big news. :icon-cool:

I went away for a weekend camping and motorbike riding with my mate Dean and some of his mates fro up North.

It was a great weekend. :dance:

IMG_0411_zps83bo4nrq.jpg

IMG_0415_zpshaosjbyl.jpg

IMG_0416_zpsi7wljlus.jpg

IMG_0418_zpsqtvoqtit.jpg

IMG_0419_zps8f78nit8.jpg

IMG_0421_zps2makh7s8.jpg

IMG_0422_zpsr4ygckhf.jpg

IMG_0430_zpsghmkq8fd.jpg

IMG_0432_zpsy4yvdhvz.jpg

IMG_0436_zpsvj3buoef.jpg

I bought Bec some roof bars for her birthday, so we could put the Oz Tent on the roof of her Subaru and then took her away camping.

The Subaru went better than I expected on the dirt roads in the national parks. :clap:

IMG_0935_zpsmp2iqzlz.jpg

IMG_0936_zpsbujhdrbl.jpg

IMG_0938_zpsedqspaqu.jpg

IMG_0939_zpssdcndu5b.jpg

IMG_0941_zps0zbyrvqq.jpg

IMG_0945_zpscrb5oycm.jpg

IMG_0946_zpsydgk4goq.jpg

IMG_0948_zps7ycxmjti.jpg

IMG_0954_zps1fqfkcof.jpg

IMG_0955_zpsapmtgb99.jpg

IMG_0956_zpsowops9zu.jpg

We camped near Byron in the Northern NSW hinterland, so we had a day trip to Byron while we were there.

IMG_0962_zpsyw3roygg.jpg

IMG_0964_zpsy9bn9xeo.jpg

Lexi has been having lots of play dates with here best friend Lexy.

IMG_1154_zps6exzb2bn.jpg

I havent really done any work on LJ, apart from cutting the roof off the donor body that I'm going to use to help me rust repair my soft top body, just so it takes up less space.

Its really just the floor pan I need and possibly part of the bulk head.

IMG_0391_zps6xemzars.jpg

IMG_0392_zps0vx97tks.jpg

IMG_0393_zpsna2efboy.jpg

The soft top body is still sat on LJ's chassis awaiting fixing up.

IMG_0498_zpsyj6fnxkf.jpg

And now the big news...............

We've decided after 1.5 years on the Gold Coast that were going to move back to Melbourne in 6 months time! :shifty:

We both really miss Melbourne and the people down there and although we love the climate and lifestyle up here, the pro's of living down there out weigh the pro's of living here. :|

So in January I will again be filling the biggest truck I can hire with all our worldly possessions and doing the mammoth 30 hour drive, up and down 4 times! :sleeping-sleep:

Then I'm starting my new job back at Piranha Off Road, so I can finally do a job I enjoy again! :character-beavisbu:

It will be the only time I've ever gone back to a job, but seen as it was the most amazing job I've ever had, I honestly cant wait! :dance:

Working at the hospital has been the most boring, sole destroying, best paid job I've ever had and I cant wait to leave! :shifty:

Wow, another epic move.
Good luck with it all !!

Hope you don't mind the cold weather down there though , I Remember you not liking it, but as you say lots of pros and cons, so on the balance it's a winner
And you did love the job at piranaha

Sprog changes everything eh Ben…? :)
Security, job you love, stability. Can't say I blame you. I knew you wouldn't be happy doing next to nothing at the hospital. And I knew property developing and small children just don't mix, dust, mess, damp and so on.
Good luck with it Ben, I reckon it's a good bet.

Best of luck to the two of ye Ben. It's a big move but I'd say your itching to get going now. I have a feeling that both the 70 and the 78 are going to get the piranah treatment:think::dance:

One thing that is clear about both of you is that you are not afraid of change.

Good luck moving back, I'll be watching with interest to see what you are going to be working on.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great news Ben, I took a boring better paid job, and lasted almost 3 years before I went back to the old firm.

Good decision mate, just buy a coat!

Very happy for you both +1

Brilliant news mate, you've got to do what's right for you and the family.
Nothing wrong with going back to the job that makes you happy (It's exactly what I'm doing)
Definitely looking forward to the new projects you'll get involved with.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

The biggest pro of living up here is the climate! The weather is perfect all year round and I will certainly miss being able to wear shorts and flip flops every single day and never feeling cold. :icon-cool:

But decent work is very hard to find here on the Gold Coast and most companies only want to employ people on a casual basis so no holiday pay, sick pay or job security. :thumbdown:

There is decent work in Brisbane and lots of people have to commute each day but the idea of spending 2.5 hours a day stuck in traffic really isnt very appealing. :crazy:

Then theres the 4wd opportunities, or lack of!

Yes there are some amazing beaches and in particular islands to go 4wding on like Moreton, Fraser and North Stradbrook but they all involve ferries and lots of expense

There are a few 4wd parks you can go and camp and drive around, for a fee.

But non of these destinations compare to the vast, amazing, Vic High Country! :think:

Down in Melbourne there are so many National Parks and State Forrest's that are packed full of 4wd tracks and awesome camping spots! :dance:

+ To be working back at Piranha will be amazing, I'm so excited! It will also be so much easier to finish the 78 and restore LJ's new soft top body and get the V8 running working there. Literally within half a mile of Piranha HQ there are shot blasters, powder coaters, electro platers etc. all willing to do cash jobs at very reasonable rates! :icon-biggrin:

Another major bonus is I will be able to put both LJ and the 78 on club/historic reg (road tax) and pay a few hundred dollars a year, versus the $800 the 78 would cost up here and the $1000+ LJ would cost (with the V8 engine)! :dance:

I dont regret moving up here and giving it a go, as if we hadnt we would always be wondering what if! :)

We have acquired a lot of things during the past 18 months such as Lexi, the soft top body and V8 for LJ, the 78, my motorbike, a trailer, lots more tools and machines such as the engine crane, pillar drill, parts washer, industrial pedestal fan and a load of smaller tools. Bec has got her new car and we will have a son by the time we move. :think:

But all of this adds to the logistical nightmare that the move will be. :shifty:

I'm thinking I will drive the Subaru down with Bec, our son and Lexi, just after xmas and we will spend a week or 2 in Melbourne getting a house sorted, sadly another rental to start with as the bank arnt keen to give us a mortgage while Bec is on maternity leave.

Then I will hire the biggest truck I can, again. Drive up to the GC, fill the truck and drive back down.

Then I will fly up, possibly on my own and drive the 78 back down with LJ on a trailer behind it. :sleeping-sleep:

I want to sell my Astra, sell my little box trailer and buy a new trailer big enough to put LJ on.

Thinking of getting one of these locally made ones, once my tax return money comes through. Probably go for the 12" x 6" 2000kg one. :think:

http://australiapacifictrailers.com.au/category/products/car/

Then I want to fully reassemble LJ with the V8 engine in the chassis and soft top body back on with all the doors, seat, dash etc. all fitted. Ready to go on the trailer behind the 78. :think:

Depending on how I go for time I'd love to get at least the engine bay painted on LJ so that the body wont have to come off again, but we will see. :icon-cool:

The 78 is sadly taking a lot longer than I would have liked. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Back