Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Thanks Ed, I held off replying to Rich because I knew you would and you've no doubt got more knowledge about them than me. :shifty:

Which brake controller did you end up fitting?

I've been looking at the Redarc ones and also the Hayman Reese. Must say I'm very impressed with how incredibly easy they appear to be, to fit. :ugeek:

I've been unable to find the official towing capacity of the LJ/KZ78's. :thumbdown:

But I'd be more than happy tow LJ behind the 78. :shifty:

Not sure what bearings or brakes they use or whether they could fit Toyot hubs, I'd have to check.

Regarding the solid bed trailer choice...........

I feel it would be a much more versatile trailer as I'm planning on renovating/building when we buy some where and if I'm picking car parts up a solid trailer will be much more useful. :think:

The trailer idea isnt 100% yet as I've been thinking about how much of a nightmare its going to be having to stop every 2-3 hours because of the baby. :icon-rolleyes:

So I'm now thinking we could fly down to Melbourne, hire a car for a week or 2 while we get a house sorted. Then fly back up, load LJ and the entire contents of the house and garage into a 40ft shipping container that would get dropped off at our house.

Then we drive down to Melbourne, me in the 78 with Lexi and Bec with the baby in the Subaru and just take our time and do the trip over 4-5 days and plan the route so we can camp in national parks and state forests along the way.

Then just unload the container when it gets to the new house. :icon-cool:

But we will have to see what price they come back with. :pray:

If their too expensive I will drive up and down 4 times and get the 3 cars and truck full of stuff moved myself, probably on my own so I can just get it done and not have to keep stopping. :think:

http://www.youpack.com.au/self-pack...OIIbjLdPRt1EYaZlEI507-5akHLGMvz6W8aAnvP8P8HAQ

Ben, you should get a quote from some movers. The Australian moving business is going through a very tough time in the last 2/3 years and it is extremely competitive. When I see how many trips you want to make , you probably could get them for similar cost.

Of course don't take full service pack/unpack but you can get self pack, potentially even self load/unload options with a groupage option (make sure you are flexible on dates.

I have been in the international moving business for 25 years and now more than ever it's a clients market. And Australia movers are desperate for business nowadays.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Certainly something for me to think about. :)

The trouble is I dont trust people I dont know with my stuff, even if they are a reputable company. :shifty:

I think the most I could trust a company for the move would be one of the companies that drop a shipping container off for you to load, then pick it up and take it to the new place, then take the empty away once unloaded.

At least then I could put some big padlocks on it while its in transit, but ultimately I would still worry and would prefer to be in complete control myself and drive it all in a truck again. :?

But the idea of 50 hours behind the wheel of a truck + another 25 in the 78 towing a trailer doesnt really sound like fun! :thumbdown:

With the removalists, look at Melbourne firms - they're likely to want a back load so may be cheaper as someone else will have picked up the brunt of the cost... I've just had a quick look online at "container move brisbane to melbourne" and got back this company; they have prices both to and from Brisbane - Melbourne, and to Melbourne was $1k cheaper...

Think outside the box Ben, you're good at that... :p

On the trailer brakes I've only really seen problems associated with electric parking brakes. The cable wearing through scenario was one I had in mind. Clearly they are more popular down under as I've never seen them here, mind you I don't buy trailers that often. :) If it all works then all is good I guess.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Ed, great! I hadnt seen that company. :clap:

I had only had one quote so far and they will like $4k for a 40ft container, hopefully that mob you linked to will be cheaper (the prices quoted on the main page are only for 20ft containers). :icon-biggrin:

They say they dont recommend 40ft containers for residential moves as their so big, they recommend 2 x 20ft ones.

So I've asked for a quote for both. :think:

I need to get another 3-4 quotes from other companies and then I can start playing them off against each other like I did with my container move from the UK, saved me thousands last time! :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Definitely worth looking for back loads - "container back loads brisbane to Melbourne" gave some good hits as well that might be worth following up.

We had a friend who moved to Darwin, they got a good price as they used a mate's brother's company, and he drove them up there. Left them the truck to unload and borrowed their ute for a few days exploring, so it became a holiday!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Ed, great! I hadnt seen that company. :clap:

I had only had one quote so far and they will like $4k for a 40ft container, hopefully that mob you linked to will be cheaper (the prices quoted on the main page are only for 20ft containers). :icon-biggrin:

They say they dont recommend 40ft containers for residential moves as their so big, they recommend 2 x 20ft ones.

So I've asked for a quote for both. :think:

I need to get another 3-4 quotes from other companies and then I can start playing them off against each other like I did with my container move from the UK, saved me thousands last time! :shifty:

Absolute rubbishy that 2x20 ft are better than 1x40ft. In fact the 40 has slightly more capacity as you don't have the wall in the middle so to speak.

Truth is they probably have more 20s than 40s and they can interchange for grouping more easily.

Could it be 20' containers are easier to accommodate on a domestic property?

I think that Star Cruiser has hit it on the head - they're easier to move around at the collection and destination, and are more property friendly; we'd struggle to get a 40' container up our driveway, but a 20' is quite easy to do (and we're on a semi rural block with a single lane road outside).
-2x 20' containers can be moved by the average rigid truck + dog trailer, rather than needing a semi trailer. One can also go on the front trailer of a B-Double truck.
-Therefore it's easier to bring in via a rigid truck in 2 loads than a single load of a 40' that requires a crane to drop off - a 20' is often slide loaded onto a tilt tray truck here, so is much easier to use.

40 fts can side load also

Slide or side? I've never seen a 40' tilt tray, but with a 20' tray isn't uncommon. They attach the cable and just drag the whole thing up the tray...

There are containers with side access doors That run the entire length and I think they are available in 20 and 40 foot.

I've decided I need to get 2 x 20's as I think a 40 would be far too big for my drive way. :shifty:

I dont like the fact the 20's are delivered using a tilt tray as it means anything that isnt really well strapped down is potentially going to go flying. :doh:

I've now had 7 quotes through and the prices vary by as much as $1k!

I've managed to whittle it down to 2 companies and both are really keen for my business and are willing to price match/beat. Currently their both sitting at about $4.5k all in, but I'm hoping to get them down nearer to 4. :)

Let the bidding war begin! :icon-twisted:

Update time! :icon-cool:

Everything is going well with the pregnancy and were now only 8-9 weeks away from him arriving! :dance:

As I hate my job so much were now thinking of moving back to Melbourne a few weeks after hes born, if everything goes OK with him. :pray:

Its going to be tough leaving this weather behind, its been the most magnificent winter I've ever experienced! So warm and mild, its reminded me of an English summer. :icon-cool:

IMG_2745_zps7czr3ak8.jpg

Lexi is really well.

IMG_2477_zpsnxnyvxam.jpg

IMG_2351_zpstlk7kxma.jpg

But shes going to really miss this place!

IMG_2756_zpswumnjn4h.jpg

This is her favorite place, her happy place! This is the off leash dog beach we bring her to every week for play dates with her friend Lexy.

IMG_2757_zpsm9yvftkd.jpg

But I think the pro's out weigh the con's so were definitely moving back and we cant wait! :dance:

OK time for an LJ update!

With time running out before the big move I've been very busy building LandCruiser's. :icon-cool:

The 78 is almost finished and looking beautiful and driving perfectly! :clap:

So with that out of the garage work has started on LJ. :icon-biggrin:

I got the new soft top body into the garage and up on my big stands.

IMG_2439_zpsf8sxtywo.jpg

And the remains of the other cab I got to repair the soft top with, got put onto LJ's chassis, just for somewhere to store it.

IMG_2441_zpsu5xnc54b.jpg

IMG_2442_zpsgjyz8xch.jpg

I did a tiny bit of work on the body, I removed all the studs that the soft top used to clip onto as they were rusty and I wont be fitting another soft top like that anyway.

IMG_2677_zpsivuiatox.jpg

IMG_2678_zps6qm0nibb.jpg

IMG_2679_zps2kbpaidw.jpg

I did some work on LJ's new engine next, the mighty Lexus 1UZ V8. :icon-twisted:

Bell housing went on to my KZJ78 transmission next.

IMG_2847_zpsdusfstjk.jpg

IMG_2848_zps1s2fjwya.jpg

I finally got round to fitting the new spark plugs I imported from the UK all those months ago.

IMG_2849_zpsxhwsc97m.jpg

Old ones didnt look very good.

IMG_2850_zps0c5wnadz.jpg

Especially when compared to the new ones.

IMG_2851_zpshsqkgziq.jpg

The old ones were also some cheap nasty make I had never heard of, so I was happy to change them out for some good quality ones.

IMG_2852_zpsytz6s4ya.jpg

I found a diagram online and worked out which HT lead goes where.

IMG_2937_zpsomcxipu9.jpg

IMG_2938_zpstu2i25y4.jpg

Re-fitted all the covers next.

IMG_2939_zpsv0rhkmbl.jpg

IMG_2940_zps2ozalcfu.jpg

IMG_2943_zpsq72ccxib.jpg

And got the transmission bolted to the engine.

IMG_3030_zpsstconnqb.jpg

Chassis next...........

The donor body got pulled back off LJ's chassis and put on the trailer.

IMG_2916_zps1winmwcv.jpg

IMG_2917_zpsr99f6z6j.jpg

Then the body got covered in a tarp and pushed into the corner out of the way.

IMG_2918_zpsu4fljf0m.jpg

I moved the chassis down next to the garage ready to clean it all up.

IMG_2920_zpso7qhrh1t.jpg

IMG_2921_zpsru5vq44i.jpg

A few things still needed removing, like the rock sliders.

IMG_2922_zpsmvbkiq6v.jpg

Lots of areas of surface rust to sort out.

IMG_2924_zps2jwrip7m.jpg

And these pretty rough looking engine mounts that I bodged together years ago when I was only really learning to weld and fabricate, needed to be removed.

IMG_2925_zpsgk9oe92s.jpg

IMG_2926_zpsijufogmc.jpg

IMG_2927_zpsqkgebiqi.jpg

Pulled some parts off.

IMG_2928_zpsbleyltli.jpg

IMG_2929_zps7bqotuaz.jpg

Sprayed everything with degreaser.

IMG_2950_zpskgv27xrh.jpg

And after letting it soak for a while I pressure washed it.

IMG_2952_zpsxionfsnh.jpg

IMG_2954_zps644ywmnx.jpg

I moved the chassis forwards and setup my gazebo to shade me from that hot Queensland sun.

IMG_3061_zpscr3qqs6i.jpg

IMG_3062_zpssb0kkiph.jpg

Got it supported on trestles and removed the axles.

IMG_3064_zps612ncm3y.jpg

I was then left with a bare chassis!

The last time LJ was this naked was 24 years ago in the factory in Japan! :icon-cool:

IMG_3071_zpsbjpj0hxx.jpg

First job was to cut off the engine mount extensions.

IMG_3078_zpspz4twhot.jpg

IMG_3080_zpsx74czvnd.jpg

I cut off what I could, but realised what was left of the original mounts wernt salvageable.

IMG_3083_zpsimq6aw0c.jpg

IMG_3085_zps6emkhcc6.jpg

So I made up some new plates, almost identical as the originals.

IMG_3086_zpsbgafahp1.jpg

But I only put one little folded piece on one end, rather than both, as my adapter plates need to bolt on top as the Lexus mounts sit further back slightly.

IMG_3087_zpsb9ouc7rp.jpg

I ground around the edges of the mounts coming off the chassis.

IMG_3088_zpsnq9xr1fo.jpg

IMG_3090_zpsiuun2hxk.jpg

Then used some vice grips (mole grips) to carefully lever the old plates off.

IMG_3092_zpsdrlxcg1j.jpg

IMG_3093_zpspvmv8up8.jpg

I then clamped and welded my new plates on.

IMG_3094_zpsamkjfhqk.jpg

IMG_3095_zpsxurlvpn6.jpg

Next I needed to clean the chassis up and get it ready for paint.

I bought some new discs for the angle grinder that I've never used before.

IMG_3098_zps3gvyywq5.jpg

IMG_3099_zpsratyszvm.jpg

They work well and dont clog like flap wheel discs, they also dont damage the surface below the rust or paint. :clap:

But a lot of it I did by hand using a scraper as I needed to remove the layer of bitumen paint that was covering the whole chassis.

IMG_3100_zpsdaklx4x2.jpg

IMG_3101_zpsqr0o7rlz.jpg

Lots more cleaning later............

IMG_3104_zpsylqkjbda.jpg

IMG_3105_zpswvnuqrhs.jpg

IMG_3108_zpsw8de6424.jpg

I cleaned up all the rusty spots that were easy to get to using the grinder and new discs.

IMG_3109_zpsjmkrgula.jpg

IMG_3110_zps7umqbbc9.jpg

I also used a wire wheel in the grinder for some of the slightly harder to reach areas.

After lots more cleaning I gave it another degrease and pressure wash.

IMG_3115_zpsy8c5yzsn.jpg

IMG_3117_zps7zhesvov.jpg

IMG_3119_zpsfqjobeia.jpg

I finally gave my sand blaster a go and I was very impressed with it, it worked really well in the hard to reach areas which I couldnt fit a grinder into. :clap:

IMG_3120_zpsupr15jtz.jpg

IMG_3122_zpsaelueqku.jpg

Once I had finished prepping the chassis I gave all the rusty bits a spray of rust convertor.

IMG_3123_zps5chaob31.jpg

IMG_3124_zpshqd23ew1.jpg

IMG_3126_zpsnsaj9jtz.jpg

IMG_3127_zpswn7hwosd.jpg

Followed by a coat of etch primer.

IMG_3129_zpsdkcxr4cx.jpg

IMG_3131_zpsxtu2p7ko.jpg

And then it was ready for paint! :dance:

IMG_3146_zpsju9dktli.jpg

IMG_3163_zpslzap1a2v.jpg

IMG_3164_zpsdyigzzi3.jpg

I went to my local auto paint shop and discussed my options with the guy. POR15 is supposedly very very good, but its designed to go directly on top of rust and isnt cheap. As my chassis was only rusty in places and still in very good condition in other places I decided it probably wasnt really suitable.

My next option was to use 2k paint, but I would need to first prime it, then paint it and then stone chip it.

So the third option, which I went for, is Raptor paint made in the UK. Its designed for the tubs on utes/pick up trucks but can actually be used anywhere on a vehicle, some people even spray the whole car in it. :icon-cool:

What I really like about it is that its a 2k paint but you dont use a normal spray gun, you use a schutz gun. You pour a tin of hardener into the 1 litre bottle, give it a shake and then shoot it with the schutz gun!

So easy and virtually no clean up to do afterwards. :clap:

I bought a 2 litre pack that was only just enough.

IMG_2955_zpsa6y2dyhg.jpg

IMG_3207_zpsqjsv28sf.jpg

IMG_3208_zpsa9gkpo9e.jpg

IMG_3210_zpsghoirejk.jpg

As it needs to be kept dry for the first 72 hours, I put a tarp over the end of the chassis to keep the dew off.

IMG_3211_zpsgu1pjhvc.jpg

IMG_3213_zps7bakfhg5.jpg

Next I wanted to build a rotisserie for the soft top body to make it easier to clean, repair and paint. :icon-cool:

First I needed my trolleys back.

IMG_3181_zpsop7rjw6t.jpg

IMG_3182_zpsq6zfvy1s.jpg

So the engine and gearbox would have to live on the floor for a few days.

IMG_3183_zpsepltkenm.jpg

I positioned my trolleys, one at each end of the body.

IMG_3184_zpsr7ogfh6l.jpg

And decided I would use the thick 50mm box that I bought when I removed LJ's old body, which will ultimately get used for the body of the rock sliders on the 78, to connect my 2 trolleys.

IMG_3185_zpsksfedodn.jpg

I didnt have much steel left to build the 2 A frames and pivot, so I did a rough drawing.

IMG_3186_zpst1dtkeio.jpg

And went to work to use the workshop and off cuts of steel. :shifty:

IMG_3187_zpstoaunx9y.jpg

Their MIG/TIG machine isnt bad.

IMG_3188_zpss4q71vrn.jpg

And the saw is reasonably accurate, just a bit noisy and lots of sparks.

IMG_3189_zpsire5ym9z.jpg

2 hours later I had cut and welded some steel together.

IMG_3190_zpsbtjog3eb.jpg

Got home and cut and drilled some steel to connect the rotisserie at the back of the body.

IMG_3191_zpsw3nloxpu.jpg

As I designed it so that if I wanted to I could paint the whole thing on the rotisserie, I decided to mount it where the hinges mount and use pieces of tube to space the mounts away from the body, so that if it got painted on the rotisserie, the only un-painted bit would be behind the hinges. :icon-cool:

IMG_3192_zpsjy0ac2qd.jpg

Bolted the plates on.

IMG_3193_zpsqw0nwnvt.jpg

IMG_3194_zps44oa4kop.jpg

And added the center frame section.

IMG_3195_zpsk3eb6k4y.jpg

I welded some thick 50mm angle to the ends of my box section next.

IMG_3199_zpsytvxyyy1.jpg

I'm very happy with my little MIG! Despite not cleaning any of the rust or paint off the 2 metals it welded it beautifully! :clap:

IMG_3200_zpsve0l8uzf.jpg

IMG_3201_zpsl0ivz8ns.jpg

Front next.

IMG_3202_zpsnrpbp7so.jpg

IMG_3204_zpspjiudmml.jpg

IMG_3205_zpssianynhc.jpg

Next job was the pivots!

My inspiration for this entire thing was engine stands!

What I've built is basically 2 giant engine stands linked at the bottom, and engine stands generally use a piece of tube inside another piece of tube to form the pivot.

So thats what I did.

IMG_3214_zps8ssh8u1c.jpg

IMG_3215_zpsukof283l.jpg

IMG_3216_zpseu3virvv.jpg

IMG_3217_zpswuxdpwl0.jpg

Worked out the position of my pivot, to ensure the whole body can rotate without hitting the trolleys below.

IMG_3218_zpsogbxm1jd.jpg

IMG_3219_zpsqdw1ycot.jpg

Drew out the A frame in chalk on the floor so I could get the angles.

IMG_3220_zpscnmho8xm.jpg

And made 2.

IMG_3221_zpsaba9o6qc.jpg

IMG_3222_zpshjbpb9k1.jpg

IMG_3223_zpsgcbdd4e8.jpg

IMG_3226_zpsqpma7ay8.jpg

IMG_3227_zpszbeseheh.jpg

Cut and drilled some 25mm angle.

IMG_3228_zpsyq5hrte1.jpg

Welded that to the bottom of the A frames so I could bolt it to my trolleys.

IMG_3229_zpsoxlxhibm.jpg

IMG_3230_zpsw7g4izvz.jpg

Cut and drilled some 50mm angle.

IMG_3231_zpsi671tvrb.jpg

And that got bolted to the trolleys with the diagonal A frame braces welded to it.

IMG_3232_zpses7qc7l1.jpg

IMG_3233_zpsvvhieeag.jpg

Pulled my huge lorry axle stands out.

IMG_3234_zpsduq4sdf4.jpg

And it was now fully suspended by the rotisserie. :character-beavisbu:

IMG_3237_zpswdpfvgph.jpg

Quick test in the garage.

IMG_3239_zpsybrr8jgy.jpg

IMG_3240_zpsaaey1nwe.jpg

IMG_3241_zpsahylg2v8.jpg

I got the axles back onto LJ's chassis and bolted all the suspension on.

IMG_3242_zpsvhbcdbr6.jpg

IMG_3244_zpsprbzjkxi.jpg

IMG_3245_zpszwwo1c33.jpg

And pushed the rotisserie out.

IMG_3249_zps7zcnvnmv.jpg

IMG_3248_zpsxgqb954p.jpg

And round the back into the garden, where I have been busy cleaning the entire thing.

IMG_3253_zpsbawnjjxh.jpg

IMG_3258_zpsbyjhd77x.jpg

Its been great being able to have it upside down with de-greaser soaking away for a while, then being able to turn it onto its side and pressure wash it all off. :dance:

IMG_3280_zpscvojstgi.jpg

IMG_3283_zpsvktlqxnx.jpg

Meanwhile LJ's chassis got brought round the front.

IMG_3252_zps1s4v6cbf.jpg

And pushed into the garage.

Where I bolted the modified transmission cross member in.

IMG_3259_zps9tytrzrb.jpg

IMG_3260_zpsadibe3l9.jpg

And dropped the V8 in. :icon-twisted:

IMG_3262_zpsx194vlhs.jpg

IMG_3267_zpsctgfcnj2.jpg

IMG_3269_zpskfrx7upc.jpg

This week I'm busy bolting everything back on to the chassis that can go back on, before it goes back into the garden and the freshly cleaned body comes back in for the rust repairs.

I'm going to paint both sides of the floor pan with Raptor, I'm that impressed with it!

The body will be going Midnight Blue, same as LJ was when she left the factory.

Lots of rust to be cut out and repaired first though and I'm picking up some bags of proper blasting garnet this weekend so I can sand blast the rusty bits on the body. :icon-biggrin:

8-10 weeks to go until LJ needs to be fully assembled and back together, ready to go in a shipping container down to Melbourne. :flags-australia:

Last edited:
Looking good Ben.

I'm not surprised you're going to miss the weather when you get back to Melbourne - their weather isn't anywhere as good as N. NSW or SE QLD... although we get a bit cooler both overnight and daytime than SE QLD in the winter, I think we also get better summer temps...

Back