Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

OK finally update time! :icon-cool:

So after Christmas we flew up to Queensland, where the first container was waiting for us on the driveway.

I was told I could have the 2 containers side by side on the driveway, but the prick of a driver who delivered it was adamant he couldnt do it and put one on the grass. :angry-screaming:

IMG_5520.jpg

Sam had to sleep in a drawer as we had left his mosses basket down in Melbourne. :lol:

IMG_5522.jpg

The next day I inspected the container.

IMG_5524.jpg

Only a few months old!

IMG_5525.jpg

And clearly built specifically for moves as it had a lot of tie down points.

IMG_5528.jpg

IMG_5526.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

It was then time to start loading the stuff in the garage.

IMG_5530.jpg

My trolleys proved invaluable once again.

IMG_5532.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg

I managed to get the 2 benches in on my own but I knew I would need a ramp to get some of the other things in, like my big blue tool box.

So I knocked one up using some pine and ply.

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

I was then able to push my tool box in! :dance:

IMG_5541.jpg

Along with everything else, like that stupidly heavy trolley full of 70 series parts. :shifty:

IMG_5542.jpg

Eventually it was almost full. :sleeping-sleep:

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

Then container number 2 arrived and I really hoped he could put it on the drive, but the driver was incredibly arrogant and flat out refused to put it on the drive. :icon-evil:

I told him the removal company had asked the tilt tray company to get one of their drivers to drive past and have a look to see if the 2 containers would fit on the drive and apparently they had come back saying it was fine, they would fit.
He just shrugged his shoulders and said he knew nothing about that and the container wouldnt fit on the drive :thumbdown:

So he put it on the front lawn at 90 degrees to the drive.

IMG_5578.jpg

I soon had it loaded as much as I could, leaving just enough room for LJ.

IMG_5579.jpg

I then pushed LJ down the driveway and really struggled to turn it 90 degrees. :sleeping-sleep:

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5581.jpg

IMG_5582.jpg

I then pushed it up and into the container.

IMG_5583.jpg

I had to remove the bullbar in order to get the doors to close.
IMG_5584.jpg

IMG_5586.jpg

I then started packing in around LJ with more stuff.

IMG_5587.jpg

Strapped the front wheels down.

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

Before stuffing a king size mattress in down one side.

IMG_5597.jpg

Then disaster struck! :doh:

The 78, which had been driving faultlessly for the past few months and was being used as my daily driver after I sold the Astra developed a very noisy rear diff. :thumbdown:

I knew the ring gear had 2 chipped teeth but I had hoped it would last until I got back to Piranha where I was planning on replacing it. :think:

So there was only one thing for it...............

Remove the rear prop shaft and drive the 1720km journey in front wheel drive, towing a trailer.

Shaft removed.

IMG_5590.jpg

And as I still had painful memories of when I drove LJ in just front wheel drive on my first ever proper 4wd trip in LJ in Australia, almost 5 years ago in the High Country after blowing a rear diff, when one of the uni joints on the front prop shaft seized, sheared the prop shaft and sent it through the side of the transfercase, I was keen to avoid a repeat of that! :shifty:

Thankfully one of my local garages took pity on me and let me use their hoist and then refused to take any money! :clap:

They lent me a grease gun and I gave the UJ's a good grease and gave the whole thing a quick look over. :icon-cool:

IMG_5591.jpg

Then the next day the containers were due to be picked up! :dance:

IMG_5601.jpg

They came with their tilt tray and a trailer and left the trailer at the top of the street.

They picked up the first one.

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

They took that to the top of the street and put it onto the trailer, then came back for the other one.

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

I was curious as to how they would pick them up!

They first pick the end up by winching the 2 corners while raising the bed up, then they drop it down on blocks of wood so the container is in the air. Then they can bring the tray underneath the container and begin winching. :ugeek:

IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5622.jpg

*Hit the pic upload limit. :doh:

More to follow in a min.................

Last edited:
With the second container picked up, I could give the lawn a quick cut underneath where it had been.

IMG_5624.jpg

We then bid the old place farewell and set sail for Melbourne, plants in tow! :dance:

IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

On the way out of the estate we passed the tilt tray and trailer with the 2 containers. IMG_5631.jpg

IMG_5633.jpg

We did the journey down over 3 days and it was pretty uneventful and the 78 performed beautifully, despite the high day time temperatures which were pushing up into the 40's and the fact we were in front wheel drive. :clap:

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

Right I'm out of time! :doh:

I will try and continue the update in a day or 2. ;)

Great post Ben, loved the “Sam-in-a-drawer” photo, its a wonder he didn’t end up in a container :lol:

Looking forward to the sequel... :thumbup:

Good luck Ben. Looks like you beat off Sods Law striking at the most effective moment.

Well done, all your prep work paid off getting everything into the containers. You could have fitted more in if you'd really tried though. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad the move went relatively smooth for you Ben!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

It was really hard work loading the containers all on my own in 30+ degree heat and 90%+ humidity! :crazy:

It nearly killed me, especially after not doing a physical job for 18 months. :sleeping-sleep:

Anyway....................

We got down to Melbourne on the Sunday and stayed with Bec's cousin again, she had been looking after Lexi for us, who was ecstatic to see us.

It was the longest we had ever been apart from here since she joined our family 2 years ago today. :character-grommit:

IMG_5668.jpg

The next morning we drove to the new house.

Lexi came in The 78 with me but she wasnt much company and ignored me the whole journey, I think she was a bit confused as to where we were going.

IMG_5670.jpg

We picked the keys up on the way and an hour later the first container arrived.

I was really worried because the road at the new house is not as wide as the QLD house and the driveway isnt as long, so I was certain they wouldnt be able to put it on the drive. :|

IMG_5672.jpg

But I need not have worried as the driver was a great bloke and said he could absoloutely put it on the drive and when I told him about the QLD tilt tray driver not putting it on the drive for me, he said:

"thats bullshit! I'd rather spend 20 minutes positioning the truck to get the container exactly where the client wants it rather then just dropping it wherever is easiest for me"

:clap:

First he had to turn the container around as apparently it was too hard to get the rail terminal to load it with the doors to the back, especially after they kept him waiting an hour. :)

So the first job was to drop it in the road and pick it back up facing the other way.

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

I knew it was heavy as I had to pay a bit extra for being over weight. :shifty:

IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

Then he backed straight up and dropped the container on the driveway exactly where I wanted it! :text-bravo:

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

A few things had shifted but it still looked pretty good.

IMG_5692.jpg

A couple of boxes got damaged, apart from that everything else survived OK. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_5694.jpg

A few hours later he brought the second container, which he squeezed onto the front lawn for me. :icon-cool:

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5698.jpg

The next day bright and early I began unloading the containers. :dance:

I started moving stuff into the new workshop. :icon-cool:

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

The next job was to move The 78 under the carport and through the gate.

IMG_5713.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

I did a 30 point and then realised as the ground slopes up it wouldnt bloody fit! :doh:

IMG_5717.jpg

So I let all the tyres down to 5psi.

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

It still wouldnt quite go so I put a few hundred kg's in the boot and it finally squeezed under! :dance:

IMG_5720.jpg

Those big boxes are full of heavy diff and engine parts and I can barely lift the boxes.:shifty:

IMG_5721.jpg

Got the 78 in the workshop.

IMG_5722.jpg

Next it was time to get LJ out.

I struggled to get it this far as it was up hill and couldnt get it any further. :doh:

IMG_5724.jpg

So The 78 was called into action to drag it out. :icon-twisted:

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

IMG_5727.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

That stayed under the first car port section, where it would live for the next few weeks.

I continued organising the workshop and even got all the ex-medical Maxi Bins up on their louvre paneling which I screwed to the walls. :icon-cool:

But I was on baby sitting duties so Sam got to have a sleep in his basket on the welding trolley. :shifty:

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_5734.jpg

More sorting out and the KZJ78 rear axle made its way into the workshop and onto stands.

That will be going on The 78 once I've fitted a new ring and pinion with the correct ratio and fitted an Eaton E locker, both of which have now been ordered. :icon-cool:

IMG_5738.jpg

The workshop isnt really big enough, but it will be OK. Especially as I shouldnt have to store any car parts in there as they can all go in the shed. :think:

IMG_5740.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5743.jpg

IMG_5744.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5748.jpg

OK..............

I've reached the pic upload limit again! :doh:

@Crispin can you increase it please mate? :pray:

*I will post the next part of this update in a few minutes. ;)

Last edited:
The final part of the workshop that needed sorting out was that pit! :shifty:

I had another look while I was bringing all the stuff into the workshop.

IMG_5710.jpg

Only this time it wasnt full of water, just full of rubbish! :crazy:

IMG_5711.jpg

I put the boards back down and didnt touch it for about a week.

IMG_5753.jpg

Then I got serious with it.

I lifted all the boards.

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

And began to clear it. I was that worried about nasties I even wore gloves! :shifty:

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

To start with it looked like it might just be full of rusty old guttering and old concrete pavers. :think:

But then I hit the clay and rubble, all 3 cubic meters of it! :angry-screaming:

IMG_5759.jpg

Only one thing for it then, it all needed digging out! :thumbdown:

I filled the trailer.

IMG_5760.jpg

It was really tough as the clay was so sticky and wet and wouldnt fling off the shovel very easily. :doh:

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

But eventually the trailer was full. :sleeping-sleep:

IMG_5764.jpg

But there was still at least another trailer load to go. :doh:

IMG_5765.jpg

But more importantly was how I was going to dispose of it. :think:

Unlike in QLD where the tips are all paid for out of your rates, here in Victoria the bastards charge you for everything! :angry-screaming:

The cheapest tip would have charged me $85+ per trailer load! :wtf:

A week later after much searching I managed to find some where that wanted dirt and in particular clay! :dance:

So The 78 was called back into action, still only in front wheel drive and off we went. :icon-twisted:

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

The place turned out to be a plant nursery who wanted to build their dam wall up to increase its capacity. :think:

The next day I began digging once more. :shifty:

IMG_5846.jpg

This next section was even harder to dig as I was now so much lower than the trailer and trying to fling a shovel full of wet clay over my head was bloody tough going. :sleeping-sleep:

IMG_5847.jpg

But eventually the trailer was loaded.

IMG_5849.jpg

And the pit almost empty.

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5851.jpg

Its even got a little sump in the corner.

IMG_5852.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

I couldnt be bothered to let all the tyres down again and then have to re-inflate them so instead I took the roof rack off. :shifty:

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

Hooked the trailer up.

IMG_5856.jpg

I gave the floor and pit a good pressure wash to try and clean the clay off.

IMG_5858.jpg

And left the pit with a few inches of water in the bottom.

IMG_5859.jpg

I got to the plant nursery and as it was now a Sunday and the place was deserted I could grab some pics. :shifty:

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

And this is the dam they wish to increase the capacity of, built in a valley.

IMG_5865.jpg

I shoveled all the clay off.

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5868.jpg

And returned home.

I pulled the half shafts out of the KZJ78 axle.

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

And pulled the diff center out.

IMG_5874.jpg

I gave the pit a few days and had thought the water at the bottom may drain away, but sadly not. :doh:

Then I remembered there was an old wet n dry vacuum cleaner here when I got here, so I thought I would give that a go. :shifty:

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

It worked really well! :clap:

IMG_5883.jpg

And soon the pit was clean and dry! :happy-wavemulticol:

For some reason I didnt take a pic as I did it before work and was running late. :icon-redface:

I will get some pics of it soon. ;)

And thats the move/house/workshop/cars update. :icon-biggrin:

Its been exhausting and very stressful at times, especially as I've been doing everything myself as Bec had to recover from the surgery and mind Sam. :sleeping-sleep:

I could have done with Sam being 14 years older though really as he would have been a big help! :shifty:

He is growing up fast and when his bottom lip isnt dropping like this...........

IMG_5877.jpg

Hes quite a happy little guy!

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

Ha, little helper will be usefull in a few years time

Can you do anything about that carport roof ? A hinged flap or something so you don't need to take rack off each time.

I can't fit my hilux into my garage, even with stuff off the roof it Is 1cm too high
I have been thinking of building a carport next to garage, but there is a 5m x 2.5m shed in the way, I don't want to take the shed down, wondering if I can drag it to a new position to one side if I empty it...without wrecking it

Ha, little helper will be usefull in a few years time

Can you do anything about that carport roof ? A hinged flap or something so you don't need to take rack off each time.

I can't fit my hilux into my garage, even with stuff off the roof it Is 1cm too high
I have been thinking of building a carport next to garage, but there is a 5m x 2.5m shed in the way, I don't want to take the shed down, wondering if I can drag it to a new position to one side if I empty it...without wrecking it
geez Ben,Ithought you would struggle with the weight of the containers.
You better buy a truck for the next shift.Good luck mate.

Well Ben, think of the gym fees you’ve saved :lol:

Good to see Sam in on the action, even though he was sleeping on-the-job :whistle:

With the pit, you might get away with using the aqua-vac thingy, if you check it on a regular basis. But, if it fills more rapidly, an electric submersible will do the job in a jiffy, and (here at least) they are very reasonably priced. You’d only need a small capacity one for the volume you have there. The integral sump will help a lot to speed up drying out, because you’ll get the water level lower than if was just a flat level floor.

Pity about the height deficiency, you’ll think of something, that’s for certain!

It’s suggested that moving house is more stressful than a divorce, and I’ve experienced both, so clearly, you’re passed the worst of it mate, job well done :icon-biggrin:

:clap::clap::clap:

Ben I really enjoyed reading and seeing photos about the move down. Love that you moved into your new garage quarters so quick!!!

Glad you've completed the move without too many troubles Ben. It did look like hell of a lot of work though! Pretty shitty for the previous tenants (or owners?) to dump all of their rubbish in the pit though. Did you ask them to sort it out for you or just get on with cleaning up their mess?

Sam is the spit of you Ben.......
Getting that pit sorted is going to be a major plus for you in the future lad. Now that it's empty and clean if I were you I'd get my hands on a pump and fit it in semi permanently encase the pit floods in the winter. It would take a long time to vacume a lot of water out where as a pump would have you sorted in no time at all. That workshop is every man's dream....... I'm jealous lol. Looking forward to lj70 being completed now

Back