Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Ben, it's amazing to see how your fabricating skills have advanced throughout the years, It's pure artwork.

Congrats on the citizenship. :grinning:

Reactions: Ben
Ooops, I meant to say that too. Congrats on becoming an official Australian citizen.
Do they give you a hat with corks on it at the door? :)

Ed, how can you loose your driving license if you dont tell them if you move? :wtf:

Because it's one of the penalties for not voting, admittedly 4th on the list of how the fine and non-payment progresses, in most States, and the reason why it's a problem if you don't tell them you've moved is because you won't get the fines in the post....so you won't know that there's been a fine issued. See the link? We had a mate here cop a fine in NSW because he'd forgotten to update his move to QLD and because he missed the State election or the by election, he got a fine.

https://www.elections.wa.gov.au/vote/failure-vote
https://www.ecsa.sa.gov.au/voting/failure-to-vote
VIC fire it off to their fines organisation who do the same, as does NSW.

Excellent work as always, that bumper is flawless! The fabrication work is great mate, are you sure there's not 40 hours in a day over there!!?

Congrats on the citizenship.

First of Ben, congrats on your citizenship lad. Second, I really enjoyed that write up. It's funny but because of Facebook I knew of all the progress but why I really like the forums over Facebook are the detail you can go into on the forum. Going to try and include a winch system similar to yours on my 70 and I'm going to copy the rocksliders aswell lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Because it's one of the penalties for not voting, admittedly 4th on the list of how the fine and non-payment progresses, in most States, and the reason why it's a problem if you don't tell them you've moved is because you won't get the fines in the post....so you won't know that there's been a fine issued. See the link? We had a mate here cop a fine in NSW because he'd forgotten to update his move to QLD and because he missed the State election or the by election, he got a fine.

https://www.elections.wa.gov.au/vote/failure-vote
https://www.ecsa.sa.gov.au/voting/failure-to-vote
VIC fire it off to their fines organisation who do the same, as does NSW.

Thats very interesting Ed. :think:

I will make sure that if/when I enroll that I keep them up to date with my address. :shifty:

Excellent work as always, that bumper is flawless! The fabrication work is great mate, are you sure there's not 40 hours in a day over there!!?

Congrats on the citizenship.

Thanks mate, I'm extremely happy with how the bumper turned out! :clap:

:lol:

I wish there were 40 hours in a day, I have so much work I need to get done! :shifty:

First of Ben, congrats on your citizenship lad. Second, I really enjoyed that write up. It's funny but because of Facebook I knew of all the progress but why I really like the forums over Facebook are the detail you can go into on the forum. Going to try and include a winch system similar to yours on my 70 and I'm going to copy the rocksliders aswell lol

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Yeah its good how much detail I can go into on here, but I also like how easy it is to post pics and a short description on Facebook and I like how on there there are so many members who have the exact same car, so sharing ideas and help is very easy. :think:

But posts get lost so easily on there so its nice to have it all documented here. :icon-cool:

Fuel Tank

I attached strips of rubber to the fuel tank guard and rubber L section along 2 of the edges on the tank.

These pieces of rubber needed weighing and clamping down while the adhesive set.

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

All done and ready to fit!

IMG_1519.JPG

Fitted.

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

Wheels

I've been looking at the 35" BFG KM2' on LJ over the last few months thinking they are too big. :shifty:

I must be getting old! :icon-redface:

So I've decided to fit 285 x 75 x 16's to it, the same size I have on The 78. They measure about 33" tall which should be a better size.

I still have a set of 16" wheels spare, which I used to have my 37's on before I sold them. But unfortunately UK salted winter roads had caused them to go a bit rusty. :thumbdown:

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

So I gave them a sand down.

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

Dropped them off at the powder coaters and a few hours and $20 a rim later they were coated in satin black! :icon-cool:

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

To save some money I'm buying my bosses old tyres off his HDJ79 ute, then when I have some spare cash I will get a new set of KM3's for them.

He gets his tyres for free as companies want to see their products on his LandCruiser's on the TV shows and magazine articles, so he never wears them down that much before getting a new set. :icon-cool:

Engine Bay

I picked up a belt for the new power steering pump.

IMG_1526.JPG

The bottom radiator hose arrived.

IMG_1517.JPG

It would need a bit trimming out of the middle to make it the same size as the old one I had cut in half and taped back together.

IMG_1518.JPG

Section removed.

IMG_1527.JPG

All ready to fit.

IMG_1528.JPG

Fitted.

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1534.JPG

So the engine bay is almost finished!

IMG_1535.JPG

I just need to modify and fit a KZJ70 airbox in here.

IMG_1536.JPG

And fit a 12" Optima yellow top in here.

IMG_1537.JPG

Dinitrol

I gave the inside of all the body sections and chassis a good coat of Dinitrol cavity wax to help protect those areas from rust.

Car Builders

After using these products on my LJ78 and being very impressed I picked some up for this 70.

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

Fitted the stage 1 insulation.

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

Then stage 2.

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

That should help cut down on the amount of heat radiating up from the exhaust and transmission.

UK Trip

We're taking this little guy to the UK soon so he can meet the rest of his family.

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

And while were there I'm hoping to pick up a load of parts I need for this project, including a complete carpet from a KZJ70. :icon-cool:

So as I'm taking over an empty suitcase to bring lots of LC parts back, I was only too happy to offer that empty space to club members to bring parts over to the UK for them.

Thankfully 100 series exhaust headers just fit in my case! :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

Dinitrol

I gave the inside of all the body sections and chassis a good coat of Dinitrol cavity wax to help protect those areas from rust.

Car Builders

After using these products on my LJ78 and being very impressed I picked some up for this 70.

View attachment 149334

View attachment 149335

View attachment 149336

View attachment 149337

Fitted the stage 1 insulation.

View attachment 149338

View attachment 149339

View attachment 149340

View attachment 149341

Then stage 2.

View attachment 149345

View attachment 149346

View attachment 149347

That should help cut down on the amount of heat radiating up from the exhaust and transmission.

UK Trip

We're taking this little guy to the UK soon so he can meet the rest of his family.

View attachment 149349

View attachment 149348

And while were there I'm hoping to pick up a load of parts I need for this project, including a complete carpet from a KZJ70. :icon-cool:

So as I'm taking over an empty suitcase to bring lots of LC parts back, I was only too happy to offer that empty space to club members to bring parts over to the UK for them.

Thankfully 100 series exhaust headers just fit in my case! :icon-biggrin:

View attachment 149350

View attachment 149351

I’m not being lazy here Ben, but it’s all been said...

Stunning work as always, and congrats on becoming an ozzy :thumbup::thumbup:

And so say all of us,Ben.It is a great country and the AFL is the best sport to watch.How is the house hunting going?Something on a few acres would be good.Regards.Pat

Hey Ben,

I’m new on this forum and have just purchased a 1HDFTE 78 series RV troopy!!!
I was wondering if you might be able to help me out with a good Alloy fabricator in Melbs?I really would like to go full custom winch bar, rear bar/wheel carriers and side steps /rock sliders with brush bars front and some lower panel protection coming off the rear bar!!!
I have read your thread and I’m so excited to get my old girl all prim and proper!!!
My email address is [email protected] if you would like to drop me a line that would be great, even just to meet up for a beer and a chat be great!!!?

Cheers

Hi guys, long time no post! :shifty:

Don't find the time to get on here much anymore. :thumbdown:

I do have a big update though! :dance:

Some of which I will try to post now. :icon-cool:

And so say all of us,Ben.It is a great country and the AFL is the best sport to watch.How is the house hunting going?Something on a few acres would be good.Regards.Pat

Its an awesome country Pat! :flags-australia:

House hunting is going OK thanks, we've got one we like which goes to auction in 11 days time which we will bid on.

Sadly its only a 1180 square meter block which is about 1/3rd of an acre. In the areas were looking thats about as big as we will get for our $600k budget. :)

But it does have a double garage, single garage, sheds and enough parking for dozens of cars. :dance:

Hey Ben,

I’m new on this forum and have just purchased a 1HDFTE 78 series RV troopy!!!
I was wondering if you might be able to help me out with a good Alloy fabricator in Melbs?I really would like to go full custom winch bar, rear bar/wheel carriers and side steps /rock sliders with brush bars front and some lower panel protection coming off the rear bar!!!
I have read your thread and I’m so excited to get my old girl all prim and proper!!!
My email address is [email protected] if you would like to drop me a line that would be great, even just to meet up for a beer and a chat be great!!!?

Cheers

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Apologies for the slow reply.

I think you will struggle to get all that fabbed from alluminium! Most of those things really are better made out of steel IMO. :think:

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

Always keen to talk LC's over a beer. :obscene-drinkingbu:

While in the UK I went and picked up a load of parts from this KZJ70. :icon-cool:

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

I got all these bits.

IMG_1663.jpg

Manual for LJ and badges for my LJ78 which is basically a KZJ78 since I dropped my 1KZ-T engine in it.

IMG_1664.jpg

And my favorite part, a complete carpet! :dance:

IMG_1665.jpg

I managed to squeeze all the parts into my suitcase and got them back through border security without any quarantine issues! :shifty:

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

One of those vacuum bags worked well for shrinking the carpet down to fit in my case.

IMG_1831.jpg

And it still had most of its shape when unwrapped.

IMG_1832.jpg

I couldnt wait to get it fitted, which I did the very next morning after only 3 hours sleep! :crazy:

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

I could then finally after many months, get the seats out of the dining room and back in the car! :icon-cool:

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

The KZJ70 seat belts went in next.

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

Followed by the sill covers.

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

Followed by some genuine floor mats, which I bought from my local Toyota dealer. Although they are for a new 70 they still fit the older models quite nicely.

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Next I needed to fit my centre console and centre box.

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

I had been aware for many years that the soft top 70's are a bit special with their removable door tops, as in my UK owners manual it had a section about the soft top model. :think:

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

In the glovebox of every soft top 70 that left the factory in Japan there was a bag which contained all the door top covers to cover the holes left when the frames are unbolted and the car is used without the window frames fitted. :icon-cool:

InkedIMG_1855_LI.jpg

And amazingly all of these are still available from Japan, including the bag! :wtf:

So obviously I just had to have them! :shifty:

Que big Amayama order! :icon-twisted:

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Nice little diagram inside the bag showing which cover goes where.

IMG_1851.jpg

The bag fits nicely in the Doug's Tub.

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

For anyone else wanting to order the door top covers and bag for a soft top 70 series, heres all the part numbers.;)

IMG_1865.jpg

More soon. :thumbup:

In my Amayama order I got new seals to go between my flares and the body.

IMG_1872.jpg

And the one flare bracket I was missing.

IMG_1873.jpg

The rubbers were actually really tricky to fit as they are such a tight fit onto the edge of the flare.

I thought it would be a quick 5 minute job but each one took over 30 mins! :crazy:

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

They have a layer of self adhesive tape inside them that sticks to the edge of the flare.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

With the rubbers all on I fitted the final bracket.

IMG_1909.jpg

And bolted the final flare on.

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Then the new rear mud flaps went on.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

I stone chipped inside all the wheel arches next.

IMG_2455.jpg

As I needed to cover the seam sealant I'd applied around all the seams.

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Next I removed the 35's ready for the part worn 33's I got off my boss cheap.

I must be getting old because to me the 35's are just too big! :icon-rolleyes:

35's

IMG_2452.jpg

33's

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

Fitted.

IMG_2463.jpg

I think they will look better once the rear end of the car comes down a bit with the weight of the rear bumper, towbar, roll cage and tank of fuel. :think:

IMG_2464.jpg

More tomorrow night, hopefully. :thumbup:

Hi Ben!
It's always a pleasure read your post!
really nice update.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

You too, I'm off to read about your latest adventures after I've finished my next update. :icon-cool:

So I brought a KZJ70 airbox back from the UK with me and I also acquired one from a very kind guy in NZ who sent me one!

The UK one was very rusty but complete, the one from NZ was rust free but missing the plastic intake ducting off the side.

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

I got one of the boxes sat in position to see what would involved to connect it to the 1UZ engine.

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

I decided to make one good airbox from the 2, so I would use the plastic ducting from the UK box on the rust free NZ box.

I drilled all the rivets out and removed the plastic ducting.

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

I found a standard air intake duct that goes inside the guard to drawer air from the back of the guard, away from the headlights.

This one actually came off a KZJ78 I got a load of parts off when we were living in QLD.
IMG_1976.jpg

I bolted that in position, ready to connect the airbox to.

IMG_1978.jpg

Next I discovered I needed to make a new bracket for the power steering reservoir as the LJ70 one put it in the way of the KZJ70 airbox.

So I cut, bent and drilled some alluminium.

IMG_2019.jpg

And then finally I designed and built the adapter to connect the new airbox to the engine.

I bought an alluminium hose connector.

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

I cut the end off on an angle.

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

I then welded it to a piece of 6mm thick alluminium sheet that I had drilled 4 mounting holes in and a big hole in the middle.

And test fitted it.

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

It fitted and worked well.

Heres some better pics of it.

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

I TIG welded both sides of the 6mm sheet, which meant I could then file out the inside to make it nice and smooth to hopefully reduce any turbulence.

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

I then sent all these bits for powder coating.

IMG_2047.jpg

And when I dropped those bits off, the power steering bracket was ready.

IMG_2049.jpg

Bolted it on.

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

Got the other bits back.

IMG_2053.jpg

And reassembled them.

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

The original felt seal around the rim of the airbox lid needed replacing and was never available separately from Toyota.

IMG_2063.jpg

So I bought some felt tape.

IMG_2064.jpg

Cut it to width and length.

IMG_2065.jpg

And stuck it on.

IMG_2066.jpg

I want to source some of these original stickers to suit my 1UZ engine and stick them to my freshly powder coated air box.

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

I bolted it all in place.

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

I bought one of the life time air filters, the same as I have in my LJ78.

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

I love the fact these filters never need replacing and can just be washed out.

IMG_2468.jpg

Fitted it.

IMG_2469.jpg

And that almost completes the airbox!

I just need to get the 3 spring clips that help hold the lid down, re-electroplated.

On the drivers door of every LandCruiser built during the 80's and 90's there was a sticker showing which plant built the body, sadly mine was missing and the only place I could find selling them was in the USA and they wanted an insulting amount of money to post me one. :icon-evil:

So I got our sticker guy at work to make me some and then sold some of them off to recover my costs. :icon-cool:

IMG_2172.jpg

I picked up a piece of fuel filler neck hose to connect my filler neck with my new tank.

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

And bolted it on.

IMG_2086.jpg

I discovered recently that the pit had 6" of water in the bottom. :doh:

So I bailed out 300 litres of water with buckets. :sleeping-sleep:

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

Then used a fan to dry it out.

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

And then I could use it to make all my new metal fuel lines that will run from the fuel tank to the engine, 3 lines in total.

1. Fuel pickup
2. Fuel return
3. Breather from tank going through charcoal canister in engine bay.

I picked up some aptly named Bundy Tube, which is double walled, annealed steel pipe, coated in copper.

IMG_2481.jpg

Flaring tool to flare the ends to help prevent the hoses slipping off and tube bender.

IMG_2482.jpg

Did my first double flare.

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

Then realised I cant really run the fuel lines without the tripple pipe brackets that for some reason arnt available anywhere locally, or on ebay so I've had to order them from the only company I could find selling them, at great expense. :thumbdown:

They should be here this week or next and then I can get the fuel lines all run and connected up. :icon-cool:

Sam approves of LJ! :text-bravo:

IMG_2492.jpg

More in a week or 2. :thumbup:

Back